1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-line growing pains again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2023.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think it’s safe to say at a minimum we will have a new left guard to start the 2023. Depending how things shake out in the draft and training camp we could have up to three new starters along the line. A few of those pieces will be learning under a new line coach. We saw the early struggles the new vets had last year which begs a question. Will out line struggle early again? For half a season?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Picked up an awesome RG in Seumalo from Eagles!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Seumalo is extremely smart, plus the line should get to work with KP the entire preseason, instead of the adjustment to a new QB, then a rookie replacing him. Might be some very early hiccups, but nothing like last year...I hope lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I mentioned the same point on another steelers website. Moore, Seuamalo, Cole, Daniels and Chuks as starters. i think anyone else signed or drafted backups.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Right. Hence the new left guard

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    pretty exciting, as it's been the root of many of the Offensive issues for a few years now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Growing pains? It is possible but unlikely. Issac Seumalo from the Eagles will fit just fine in Pat Meyer's scheme.

I would also imagine the team will be looking the Draft for additional depth as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Also the O line played great 2 half of season for the running game…. But still awful in pass protection… I believe we are headed in the right direction..
    Also , with these veteran pickups for the O line, do we now go for a DL first pick in draft?

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Not sure who would be of consideration at this point. Jalen Carter's Character Concerns and Work Ethic are to be called into question; doubly so after his Pro Day performance. Brian Breese is technically the better option but his injury history and lack of overall development does not assist his case either. Beyond those two?! I seriously doubt there is any Defensive Lineman that the Steelers would consider at pick 17. Corner and Offensive Tackle are more needed in terms of the youth movement; both lacking depth and long term solutions.

That all said though, for me, between the two, I would not be surprised if the Steelers opt to do one of two things. They are as follows;

1.) Acquire someone like Brian Branch, Deonte Banks or... *gulp* Kelee Ringo.

This is again assuming that Joey Porter Jr is not available by pick 17. As I see it currently, I simply don't see a scenario in which he is as the Corner position already is a very valuable asset on Defense. Someone of Porter's talents can easily be argued for a Top 10 Player. That said, Pittsburgh would have to acquire a player and cannot simply forfeit their pick... unless they want to (something that is simply not happening).

2.) Trade Down.

Omar Kahn did discuss the possibilities of trading the 32nd Overall Pick as the Steelers don't have a Fifth Round Option this season. Moving back would require not just some good return but also another team to do it. This option though also means that the likes of Branch and even Ringo are gone in addition to the Top three Offensive Tackles along with the Top Three Corners. Also, I am under the assumption in this scenario that Bijian Robinson is still available at pick number 17. While the Steelers have no use for him... a team like the Chargers or the Giants?! Much, much different set of circumstances. They need Running Back assistance.... bad. I would also imagine a player of Bijian's Caliber will cost a good bit as talents like him, within the Steelers Draft Range, seldom happen. Striking that iron is critical and I will entertain the idea of both Los Angeles and New York getting into a Trade War for him. May the best bidder win; Pittsburgh being the biggest winner of all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Herbig I read somewhere does have some background with meyer. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I want any of the 4 top OTs in the first round.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    This is two years in a row they actually took a player I wanted. Daniels last year and seumalo this year. I didn't think there was a chance in h*ll we would go get him. This is friggin awesome. Ground control to head coach tom-lin.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I can still see a center being drafted later. Tippman and Thornberg- off the top of my head ?

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even let’s let’s say we would draft the 4th best and lower rated OT rather than taking say a higher rated CB

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    There are some decent OTs past the first 4. Most think we will draft for a starter but I think we will draft for depth. I think they like moore a lot more than some fans. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm on board with cb at #17 for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But not to be taken in the first round hmm

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As do I.

That said, I assume Darnell Wright is number four for you?! Or Dawand Jones?!

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the new left guard could be the old right guard with Herbig being the swing guy. I read somewhere that Daniels moving to left guard is a distinct possibility. Whatever the case, I think our offensive line has improved exponentially this off-season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Giants don't need a running back that bad. They put the non-exclusive tag on Barkley. I can't see another team giving up two first-round picks for any running back. They have bigger needs. Branch could be a nice fit for them. So could Addison.

I really hope it isn't Ringo.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I'd like to throw Harrison in there as well if you are talking about the #32 pick.

22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    We definitely need a NT….ASAP

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    The starting o-line still won’t have any game day exp. That’s important. It takes a bit for them to get on the same page.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, but they might only have one change and one of Seumalo's strengths is his intelligence. Most of them have a year with Meyer. Any offensive line will take a little time to gel, but it shouldn't be as long of a process as it was this past season.

Part of it depends how the roles shake out. If they just plug in Seumalo at left guard, that's relatively easy. I know some are thinking they could move Daniels to center with Herbig at right guard and Seumalo at left. That would be a much tougher adjustment.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree

and this frees up some flex on first couple of draft picks, getting close to BPA.

coaching and our OLINE is another mess. Cana-duh + whatever OLINE coach = crap. this is why we will be right around .500 again. an inept and un-intimidating offense.