1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephan Tuitt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 13, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ugh… Not my money…? I need to fire my financial advisor for inaccurate info.

None of us know how the organization internally think about him.

They clearly gave him so much time. I doubt they thought it was going to be the entire year and then nobody saw the retirement.

The injury was a part, but a minor roll.

2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I apologize, I didn’t realize you worked for the organization. Regardless of how it affects you and the rest of the Steelers organization, I’m sure it doesn’t come close to how the death of his family member affects him.

In other words, I think it’s time everyone moved on…what’s done is done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh please… :facepalm:

A bit hyper technical with the semantics there. Jeez…

But ok, I’ll own it. Yes, affecting “US” as-a-fan-base who would like to see that money spent on players who can earn it.

Again, Tuitt got paid and ENTIRE season already without a drop of game sweat. Now a second year of millions???

Look I get it, teams have to gamble with the notion the guaranteed money will pay off with the players game day effectiveness and sometimes injury or some other event happens to tank that gamble. We know that physical healing can take a long time and we know that personal or mental healing can take time.

Let’s put it this way, say when Ben got injured in his motorcycle accident and it took him out so long that it was a whole season and then retired because he didn’t want to face dangerous situations anymore. He collected all that dough physically recovering and it even bled into a 2nd season financially after a decision to retire.

You still wouldn’t think feel some kind of way in that second season absorbing payroll that your favorite entertainment squad needed and couldn’t use?

If not, then you a very generous with their money.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is what it was, average at best. Needs to repay Steelers money he stole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Two different situations.

Ben was riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Putting himself in in a bad situation being a ****ing idiot.

Tuitt suffered an unexpected tragedy.

I know that mental health is a touchy subject with some of the yinzers around here. Some seem to feel that if you are depressed you are just being a pussy. In reality, tragedy and depression affect everyone differently. We don't know the conversations the Steelers had with Tuitt. We don't know how long the Steelers knew he wasn't coming back. We saw with Shazier how long the Steelers left him on the roster so he can have pay and benefits knowing he wasn't coming back, how do you know this wasn't a similar situation? The Steelers have always bene loyal to their players far and above what other NFL teams are to theirs.

And yes, I play semantics with the "US" stuff. I find it funny because I read/hear people say it all the time. I have bene a fan all of my life but when they lose I'm over it in 5 minutes because it's just a game, entertainment, and it doesn't really impact my life other than finding something else to watch on TV when they are not playing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How many working stiffs making 60K per year that go back to work after 2 weeks for bereavement that don't have the resources that this guy had. They hurt just as bad as he does.So if they quit their jobs, they better be looking for another one. Maybe he can make a 4 million donation to mental health facility here in western pa? I am sure the Rooney's would like this better anyway.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    As I said earlier in this thread:

I commend the Steelers for doing what most employers (pro sports or otherwise) would never do and show compassion to an employee going through something that no one should ever have to deal with.

We should be commending the Steelers on being a great local employer and family oriented instead of bashing the player for not getting over his depression fast enough. This should be an example of what to do. Again, we have no idea what conversations they had with Tuitt, its possible the Steelers knew for a long while he wasn't coming back but kept him on the roster/payroll anyways. They did something similar with Ryan Shazier.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Come on, if the Steelers had a way to recoup that money they could...they chose not to. When Andrew Luck retired he had been given a boatload of cash the Colts could have went after, they chose not to. The CAB and individual contracts have aspects that the Owners have abused for years, if the Steelers had a way to go after that cash, and did, good luck getting any FA's to sign in the future. Bottom line its a business, sometimes you cut your losses, even if it hurts short term because long term you create good will for future business opportunities. As a fan it sucks, but business decisions often operate under the suck banner for both owner and players.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a union man, he should do the right thing.I am all for the working person.
    He went to Notre Dame ,he should follow their teachings. Enough of this bull****
    I could care less about Stephen Tuitte, But I do care about the Steelers! Like
    I said donate the money to Western Pa Mental Health Organizations.

• Like Like x 1
  10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Really good substantive reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Speaking solely for myself (and as someone for whom mental illness runs in the family):

if I were in Tuitt’s financial situation, I like to think I’d realize the salary cap damage had already been done. I would create a foundation in my late brother’s name, funding it with the money the Steelers generously gave me while I tried to get my life back together.

• Like Like x 3
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know football if you think he was just average, some in the media said he was athletically more talented than Heyward, he was their best player on defense before he got injured in 2019 IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How many pro bowls was he too?

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Pro bowl has become a popularity contest, freaking Tyler Huntley went to the Pro Bowl he sucks :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, we all suffer family loss over and over again, hopefully most in more natural and less painful ways, and then some in a more heartbreaking manner.

Not one, but TWO siblings of mine have suffered something that most of us only see in movies and TV. So, again, we all suffer heartbreaking losses. Bereavement and/or stepping away to heal and pull yourself together isn’t just understood, but a necessity. I whole heartedly get it - full stop.

Tuitt was given so much grace by the organization and the organization should be commended for that.

I just feel Tuitt over
    -stepped and took advantage.

As another example- I wonder if the front office had, say, an accountant in the Steelers headquarters who lost a close family member in a tragic car accident hit and run. Is the accountant going to be awarded a FULL year away from the office with pay, while not telling the executiveS when or even IF they will return to work going on week after week, month after month? Then after an entire year, they finally give them the answer that they won’t be coming back. Oh, and by the way, what’s the severance package? So much so that the accounting department cannot hire someone to replace them. Now that department who are still there pulling the extra duty have to continue to handle the same workload again with a person down for the next year.

Thanks Steph - hope your life is getting better.

(ps. - I know and am also very open to mental therapies and help and very much believe they should be accepted as much as physical conditions and disabilities. It only makes sense. )

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'll go on the flip side, it took me 6 years, after psychward visits, homelessness and mental health rehab, to get back to where I was in 2015. It was one hell of a ride. We all handle mental health and tragedy differently.

• Like Like x 3
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yeah, the Luck thing sucked WORSE. what he did to the Colts was highway robbery! Normal folks would be arrested and jailed, but not NFL icons

18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Just to clear one thing up, Stephen Tuitt is on the cap sheet this year because the Steelers restructured his contract in 2021 and then designated him a post June 1st retirement in 2022. He is not getting a cent from the team this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They stood by him while he sat out an entire season, then waited way too long to decide he was going to retire. They would be absolutely justified, but they won't do it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I have tremendous sympathy for Tuitt or anyone else dealing with a mental health issue. That doesn't mean what Tuitt did was right. I don't believe he was as open with the team as he should have been, but they will never say it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Do we have any evidence to support the notion that he wasn't as open to the organization as he could've been? I'm not saying he was open either. Just seems like a bunch of assumptions are being thrown around.

• Like Like x 1
  22. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Why are people sympathetic for him ? Okay he lost a relative, but he still azz raped the Steelers and the fans ! So f*ck him !!! Yeah, a real nice guy lmao !

23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Man, there is some serious vitriol from some of you over this still. Get over it. Acting like someone is stealing your damn lunch money

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    All we have is press conferences from Coach T and some other bigs saying “no new news” or the like week after week for an entire season. It sure felt like from reading between the lines that they weren’t getting much info directionally.

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    A$$ raped the fans. What a delusional take.......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1