1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Schedule especially at the end was so easy even with Mitch or Rudolph all year we likely win 6-7 games. Steelers don’t tank so getting a 1/2 pick wasn’t going to happen.

However none of that means KP is a franchise QB. Next two years will likely determine that.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say it was impossible. I said that it was even less of a guarantee of getting one of those two elite guys, but it would have been very costly. Given that the Steelers clearly see things in Pickett that you don't, that would have been stupid, too.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Everybody brings up the Rosen outlier, but Jones was and is a hell of a lot better than Rosen. The Browns are a badly-run organization that made a stupid, desperation move because they panicked when they took a step back in 2021.

None of that matters. The Giants had made it clear they were sticking with Jones. Remember where I live. I'm surrounded by Giants coverage all the time. Now you are making up thought processes by an organization you know nothing about to try to justify your nonsense.

The Chiefs weren't satisfied with Smith. They knew he was limited. Again, your ignorance is showing. His best days with the Chiefs weren't anything special. His season before they drafted Mahomes, he threw all of 15 touchdown passes. That was his age-32 season.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    So more than twice as many as your boy Pickett
    [lol]
    [ok]
    [I don’t care what you think]
    [you’re a nobody who never did anything]

Did I do that right?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No. You spelled everything right!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's never a guarantee unless you completely tank but it is common knowledge that you can make a trade if you need be. Will it cost you alot depending on where you fall in draft? Yes. But it's definitely something a team can keep in play.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Exactly teams panick. And it depends on who you ask. While the contract may not be good, the browns made the move to upgrade at qb. Baker wasn't the guy.

Idk where you live and don't care to know.

And why wasn't his days special? And they wanted an upgrade but you're telling me if they didn't get mahomes they would have just cut Alex smithnor traded him? They did because they fell in love with mahomes. It's clear as they went up multiple spots to get him AND they took him over deshaun who by virtually almost every pre draft broad was rated higher than mahomes.

And while jones is better than Rosen, it's not by that significant of a margin. I doubt Arizona makes the same move if they didn't have a chance at kyler. They only did it because the position they ended up in.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Eh, what does a broad know about football?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They had no way of knowing which teams would have the top two picks. It could have been two teams that needed a quarterback, so one of the picks might not be available at all. It clearly would have been a bad gamble to make a year ago, again, especially with a quarterback they believe in available to them with the 20th pick in the first round.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Where I live is relevant in that I hear a lot more about the Giants than you do. Of course, these discussions have made it clear that I know more than you about the entire league, past and present.

Your argument about Smith makes no sense. No, they wouldn't have cut a decent NFL starter without acquiring a replacement. That does nothing to support your argument.

Sometimes teams are smart enough to know the player they love will be there for them. Your implied premise that a quarterback's value is somehow less if no team trades up for him is comical. The Steelers didn't trade up for Roethlisberger, either.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Do you live in 1950? You don't have to live anywhere to get all the coverage for a team anymore. So that doesn't mean anything lol.

And it does make sense cause you said they gave up smoth. Given up on a player and getting someone better than the player are two different things.

And again big Ben wasn't the first qb taken. The difference in pickett's case is he was the first qb taken. Ben wasn't passed on by several qb teams as the first option or first guy to have a right of refusal for. Two qbs were taken ahead of ben.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do I need to use smaller words to explain this to you? I am stuck hearing a lot about the Giants. You can get the news anywhere, but you are more likely to hear local coverage from experts who are around the team all the time if you live in that market.

I don't know who Smoth is, but no, I did not say the Chiefs gave up on Smith. That is yet another error on your part. I wrote that they weren't satisfied with him.

Now you are arguing that somehow it is better if a guy isn't the first quarterback taken? Seriously? Maybe you should give up football before you take any more hits to the head.

To be fair, I do understand the tortured logic you are attempting there, but it doesn't hold up at all.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    just like with everything else, nobody is held accountable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    yeah but did you know we haven't had a losing season?!?!? Tomlin is the GOAT---fans outside of Steeler Nation

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It was so predictable that keeping Canada was just awful for the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 1