1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Browns, Bears, 49ers and Jets were all very QB needy and passed on Mahomes in 2017, and he’s the best QB of this generation. I’m NOT comparing Pickett to Mahomes, but just pointing out that your argument has limited value.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I bet Pickett gets more money than LJ on his second contract.

• Like Like x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm going to assume that your position on this is that the Steelers should have waited and tried to get one of the guys in this year's draft, no? So you were going to make the assumption that with Trubisky last year they would have had a bad enough season to even be in a position to get one of those QBs. So now we will wait and see whether Bryce Young or CJ Stroud have a good enough rookie season to back up your position on this, assuming they even start. Also, many of those QB needy teams you brought up are no better off now than they were before last year's draft and many of those teams won't be in a position to pick a quarterback in the first round so again, they will still be waiting to find a franchise QB. The Steelers had one that they liked that fell to them so they picked him. It really shouldn't matter where they got him but they now have what they consider to be a franchise QB. A lot of other teams cannot say that.
    And just to show you how much teams get the QB wrong, the Panthers are in the position to take one of those guys this year but also spent a third round pick on Matt Corral. Talk about a wasted pick. Unless of course they don't intend on taking one of those quarterbacks this year. I bet your head would really explode over that one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem very confused

This question has been explained in detail

At this point in time trying to explain it to you again is a waste of time

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    By your logic, Aaron Rodgers sucks because he fell all the way to pick 24 in the 2005 draft. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One thing the kid does not have is a sense of logic

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do Hear what You are saying. I don't agree, but I get what You are saying.
    We have also seen several Qb needy team take Qbs that suck way to early.....So.....with that said.....Why would I then care about what another team .....Who I have seen make countless bad decisions think about Pickett????:shrug:
    Think about it this way....Did we not see teams that needed edge rushers pass on TJ.....so are they smart???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly what I was trying to get at ..... Why should we worry about what fools do???

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    We don't normally see teams mortgage their future for a pass rusher because while they are valuable, the importance of the postion is no where near that of a qb.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Aaron wasn't touted as pro ready and a qb was taken before him.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It hasn't.

12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I said that before the draft I thought they should have waited because i didnt think these guys measured to the guys from this yr and @Formerscribe tried to tell l me i didnt know what i was talking bout yet pickett is being questioned in comparisonto Will Levis who is at best the 3rd best qb in this draft lol..some boards have him 4th behind richardson. Looo at what the bears are doing. They're saying ok we'll give fields another yr. If he sucks, they're in position to get Caleb Williams.

And ok lots look at those teams from last yr.

Houston passed on your boy TWICE. They waited and will get either Bryce young or stroud.

Carolina waited and will get one of the top qbs. Some even say they may get Richardson or Levis lol.

Atlanta waited and are in postion to get one of Richardson or levis unless someone trades up.

Giants we thought would be one of those teams but Daniel Jones improved.

Same with lions with Goff and Seahawks with geno.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Deshaun going have more money than everybody. Your point lol?

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah right. I guarantee if the same thing that happened to Maddox in '04... happened to Favre in '05, Rodgers would have been the starter. Just like Roethlisberger who also wasn't pro ready in '04. :facepalm:

Ben was so pro ready.... he was initially #3 on the depth chart behind Maddox and Batch.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The bears took a qb lol so wasnt like they were a qb needy team and said nah none of these qbs in this draft good enough to reach for like what happened last yr. They passed on the WRONG QBs as they were dumb for passing on mahomes and watson.

Niners didn't need a qb. That was the yr they traded for Jimmy g and he ended the season 5-0 and they gave him a big contract in the offseason.

Jets I'll give you but again not same context as this draft as someone before them reached for a qb.

Browns yeah idk why they didn't take a qb at 1 the first pick pre draft should have been deshaun Watson.

And also another difference is mahomes actually was TRADED UP FOR
    So was Watson. No one traded up for Pickett lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's true. Aaron was looked at as a project by many the packers literally had to rework his entire throwing release.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You did not. You answered the question with a question.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He ain't it. Look at how Carolina jumped up to 1 to get a qb. Why ain't nobody jump to number 1 or when trade up somewhere for Pickett if he's so good? Carolina is saying we can't not have a chance to take whoever it is they love at 1. Everyone last yr looked at Pickett when they all had the first right of refusal for him as no one else picked a qb and they all said no thank you.

19. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Kenny Pickett is far from a guaranteed franchise QB in the NFL. He wasn’t bad as a rookie and he had a couple real nice late game winning drives but overall he was very blah. Having MC as his coordinator isn’t helping.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Looking at 2022 draft..... just about every team that drafted before the Steelers except Seattle and Carolina needed anything BUT a QB. Both Carolina and Seattle drafted OT, which is smart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Texans, falcons, and giants all needed one at that time. Hell Houston passed on him TWICE.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett would have been a better pick than London for the Falcons. They ended up with Ridder who likely will not be anywhere near as good as Pickett. Texans picking OT and CB was just dumb..... NOT.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It was. Get the qb then worry about everything else later. Look at the jets. Had a complete team but NO QB. Also Texans were smart in the aspect of they're getting either young or stroud who are better than Pickett. Hell Pickett is being compared to Will levis.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    All this will be answered in time. If he ends up a top QB in the league it will be because the Steelers were better informed and knew more about him than anyone else with him playing in the same stadium or they overvalued him and the other teams were right to stay away.

We’ll have a much better idea after this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh don’t go introducing logic and reason into the discussion…

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2