1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers sign CB Patrick Peterson, 2 years

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lambert, Mar 13, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS

• Like Like x 1
  2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am of the thought that when combining his projected play/benefit coupled with his cap hit vs. Cam’s, it’s most likely an even wash or a slight upgrade. But only for the short term.

I think us fans are often most concerned about a cohesive longer-term stability during a time of trying to rise quite a bit. If we just needed a player here or there to really make a shot at championship hardware then it’s a different debate.

The above stats look great, but I’m a bigger fan of reading more modern and more granular advanced analytics because they should consider more context.

This is where we hope that the Steelers organization scouting staff are great at digging deep with a professional eye and greater context.

The Vikings weren’t a good defense the last few years - are PP’s stats inflated because he was the best player in the back end and getting tackles deep after a breakdown, aside of saving a score did the tackled player still gain a ton of yardage, were the INT’s quality and not semi-gifts?

Player rating needs to take into account the game matchup, the actual play, and team power ranking into context. Are they in a weak division? Playing bad teams with a weaker schedule etc…

I like that he’s a very experienced vet who can illustrate to a young DB room on how to prepare and elevate as a top all pro talent, but are the guys he’s going to displaying himself to sponges or bricks?

Who they choose to learn from him must be part of their evaluations. Cam was supposedly a leader and hopefully PP is too, but are the guys in the room great hard working students? Let’s hope so.

We need character as much as pure athletic talent and physical measurables.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    The Vikings weren’t a good defense the last few years - are PP’s stats inflated because he was the best player in the back end and getting tackles deep after a breakdown, aside of saving a score did the tackled player still gain a ton of yardage, were the INT’s quality and not semi-gifts?

Player rating needs to take into account the game matchup, the actual play, and team power ranking into context. Are they in a weak division? Playing bad teams with a weaker schedule etc…

Then IMO if he's surrounded by much better talent, he's not going to have to "carry" the defense and will be able to play with less pressure on him, and this will help as he ages. Shame about Sutton, but as long as Peterson doesn't fall off a cliff then he's a good replacement and may well be able to show JP Jnr or whomever they draft a thing or two.

And that also just took Detroit out of the running for a 1st round CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, as the saying goes, "we will see, time will tell".

our D has to be Top 5 to have a shot at the playoffs. the O will be bottom half.

PP is a veteran, smart, future HOF'r. Can he help us now? We will see....

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not one game has been played yet in 2023.... but yet the offense already sucks. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, it was strictly an age comment.

There is no way Colbert would have signed a 33 year old cornerback. Who knows what Khan would have done with Joe Haden last year?

Colbert always like the guys coming off their Rookie deals to add in free agency.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, if, he is slow. Then he will fit right in with what we already have ... lol. I think, his experience, techniques and ability to catch, will make up for this lack of speed that you speak of.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Although it helps....
    Straight line speed has nothing to do with coverage. You know this.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If it did they would just sign track stars for DBs and Bulgarian wrestlers for linemen

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just to be a nitpicker they haven’t signed him yet

I believe that can’t happen until some time tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again. I Loved P.P. game back in the day. This is not back in the day. There is a reason that even crappy teams were even throwing at Him.
    I pray I'm wrong believe Me, but He is a CB over 30 years of age.....with already being caught with PEDs. Why do You think He was taking them???
    Usually the only time great players get caught with them is when they themselves know they are slipping.
    Again I hope I'm totally wrong....because I did like the His game, and I'm a Steelers fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hope.

it faded fast w Joe Haden

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The PED thing was a few years ago, and he had a solid season last year. I’m a bit concerned about his age, but I’m not going to write him off just yet.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the reason most athletes take PED’s to get any edge over the competition they can get. Not necessarily because their game is slipping.

He’s still playing at a high level. The only concern I have is when will his age start causing his play to drop off. That happens very quickly when it arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think most fans can name a few players who continued to produce at a decent level past 30 (sans QB), but as you say when the drop off comes it can come very quickly. I saw it in Troy the year before the Steelers let him go, athleticism and smart play aside..that burst that is so essential..once gone makes all the difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Two Words

Matthew Canada

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Better than Ron Mexico

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Guess this means no more Sutton.. and we are gonna draft a CB day 1 or 2, for sure

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t know about that. Ron uses the middle of the field.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I actually like it. He’s very very smart, which has helped him stay relevant as he starts slowing down a bit.

Also, we have a few younger DBs and will probably draft at least one and he can be a nice mentor as he closes out his career ..

Also, the price was right!!!

Cajun

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

He’s basically on a one year deal. Cap hit this year a little over 4 mil…… next year a little over 9 mil, but can be cut with a dead cap of est. 2.5 mil…….

Very friendly deal. Hopefully he makes it for two years with great play.

Cajun[/QUOTE]

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing him in BLACK and gold!

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1