1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephan Tuitt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 13, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Does anyone else feel robbed by this guy?

He left the team with a huge hole and keeping everyone holding a roster spot while collecting a very hefty paycheck(?) during his time trying to figure out what he wanted in life; ultimately not with the organization the filled his bank account.

It hurt us badly and I’m thinking of him just like I think of Bell and AB.

Did he do the Steelers dirty while slipping the villian label like Bell and AB who were good enough to not disguise the effort. Sneaky chess move …

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His brother was killed in a hit and run. He apparently didn’t handle it very well. Everyone deals with death differently.

Steelers should have been better prepared for him to leave. It’s not like it came out of the blue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep

he screwed us

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, yes. that did happen. then life has to happen. He played around and we hoped - which is not a good strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I see both sides. Maybe he thought he would be able to handle it and then never did. The other side of that is was he saying the whole time he was coming back and, then, just didnt? Who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of that has to be on Tuitt. He didn't have to speak publicly, but I get the feeling he didn't communicate honestly with the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I get it. It’s tragic and I’m leaving that part out because sadly, tragedy happens to lots of us. But I think he still owed it to his organization to come to a conclusion earlier so his team didn’t have to suffer also in the way that they did.

So, sure, retire, don’t play football anymore. But waiting until they pay you out seems like a devious and calculated maneuver. He was *banking on everyone giving grace. And they/we did.

Well played diabolical financial move. Sorry, calling it as I see it.

There was no way for the organization to play it any other way as far as I can see. He held all the cards along with the salary and roster spot. The cap prevented them from from being agile while being backed into a corner. Releasing him would have turned them into some serious PR devils.

Sincerely - from some of the the fan base.

PS - I’m not discussing my personal and/or family tragedies and how the ripple effects reverberated to everything surrounding it. Life does go on and for most, much faster.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I always felt Tuitt intended to play again but just couldnt rekindle the fire to do so. If you aren’t all in then he did the right thing.

Tough to pass judgment on the situation since we are missing so much of what transpired between him and the team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m trying to recall the timing of events, but didn’t the team restructure his contract and move salary to an up front bonus not too long before he said adios amigos?

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I couldn’t say. I just remember there being radio silence on the whole matter. I recall beat writers saying they were in the dark with little to no information coming from the Steelers.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i agree

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Every org has some personnel issues that hurt them, ours have just been more severe than most teams. It's no one's fault really. Bell and AB are complete morons, Shazier, Tuitt and Haskins are tragedies. Along with everything else, those situations have made the process of putting a good team together even harder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    That’s a fair perspective that I cannot argue with and not sound like an even bigger jerk.

Nobody really knows the actual answer but him. If he really tried, and struggled with getting his focus back into this career then I would add zip it. And doesn’t owe me or anyone else a transparent explanation.

But IF he did know much earlier and didn’t in fact communicate it and just took the money as severance for him self and his time without actually earning the money (and absorbing the roster spot) where they could have slipped the money into the following years cap then he hurt others in a selfish money grab.

This is business at this point and not personal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It is funny. It seems like forever since he has played for Pittsburgh, but I see his is currently counting $4 million against the cap this year. Not to mention being on my wall calendar in February.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You sure its a 2023 calendar? Today is Tuesday 3/13/2023 :hehehe:

Its just the money being pushed forward. Remember Woodley was getting paid for some time playing elsewhere as well as others.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Old news, move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think that’s probably what happened. He suffered a huge personal tragedy and the team kept the door open as long as they could for him. He decided that he was done with football which was his right. I can’t imagine what he went through and football is not the kind of job where you can clock in each day and coast along. You have to be all-in as you say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree good riddance, what did he ever do? How many pro bowls did he make?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's a little harsh. While I'm pissed He's gone, and it's still cost us....He was awesome when He played maybe top 5 at one time at His position, but a bad thing happened, and We must move forward.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's really a shame how Tuitt's career changed so drastically and almost instantly. He was a beast on the field then became injured and his younger brother losing his life then Covid and it really turned his whole world upside down. Perhaps it could have been handled better by both parties but under the circumstances I have no issues with it. The Steelers almost always take the high road.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Maybe this will help

• Like Like x 1
  23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, I understand it’s old news, but during this off season with free agent signings and draft talk and ALLLLL the holes we have to fill including his still(!) it just keeps popping up in my head.

“Wish we weren’t trying to fill major roster spot that we had a great young player at” Who’s been paid and is STILL getting paid…!!!

So yeah, it sticks in my craw a bit and it doesn’t feel like old news. Because it isn’t.

Maybe I’m lying to myself and I’m stupid, but I wouldn’t feel right about it all and negatively affecting the team and fan base.

But I bet so many players have learned to think “eff the fan base” in one way or another. I get it…sports and entertainment is different than real life and livelyhoods. But I can’t help feeling it and it feels raw.

• Like Like x 1
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Jeezus that is so perfect and timely for this thread!

Fantastic find!!! Lol…

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    None of us know what was going on in his mind at the time, we are all just guessing. Maybe he was so distraught he felt he could no longer play but none of us know when that final decision was made. Maybe he played the system I don t know and no one else here does either.
    If he did play the system for the money put yourself in that same situation.
    How many here would just walk away and potentially take a buy out for millions less.
    Imagine your leaving your job and the rules say you can get another years salary , who here is going to say nah! just give me my vacation pay and the company can maybe use my money to fix things.

• Agree Agree x 2