1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yes. And did you not see the wrs they had this yr? They were average at best and he took what they game gave him. They play the chiefs in shell coverage all the time so he's learned to just take the check down and play smart. He's figured out how to manipulate the game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When I wanted to wait until the ‘23 draft to take a QB last year, Levis and Stroud were the guys I had in mind the most. Young as well, but I felt like both Levis and Stroud would be “trade up” targets. I did not like what I saw from Levis when I tuned into Kentucky games this past season though. He looked out of sorts every time I watched him. The potential is still very high, but he needs to go to a decent situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Remember the times I mentioned you moving the goalposts? This is a prime example of it. You argued against me characterizing Lawrence's play as a rookie as erratic. I provided statistical backup to my claim, so you switch to arguing about Pickett again. I'm not sure if you have enough mastery of your own message to even realize you are doing it, but at best, it's dishonest. If you wanted to be honest, you would admit that I was right to characterize Lawrence's play as a rookie as erratic, then move on to Pickett.

That said, I'll play along. It would be fair to characterize Pickett's play as a rookie as erratic, too, though I'm not sure that is the best term for it. He started poorly, then improved as the season went on. That figures for a rookie who wasn't given the first-team reps until after Week 4.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The latter half of the draft or the latter half of the first round? Details matter.

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Both.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Why are you making excuses for Pickett not starting early just like you said I made "excuses" for Lawrence.

Also I wasn't changing. You said Pickett was good with more ints than tds but called Lawrence erratic. I was applying your logic to the same stats as that's what you used to define lawrence. I wasnt looking at td/int ratio to judge because I expect a rookie who goes to the worst team in the nfl to take some risks and figure it out. That doesnt make him erratic. Like peyton his rookie yr with what he did.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just read this…:facepalm:

Brady Quinn was a huge bust as a QB and equally so as an analyst. What do these guys have against Pickett? He showed that he’s got the clutch factor and can take care of the football. There’s a lot there to build on and I look forward to him having the opportunity to grow in his second season. But oh yeah, I forgot…he has small hands. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We didn’t have to trade up for him we got him where he should have been drafted

Why is this mind boggling you

And so far for he has well played up to expectations and progressively gotten better which hopefully he will grow from for next year

That is all you should expect from a rookie quarterback

He has certainly been a good draft pick I don’t think any knowledgeable fan can argue that

Who knows where he will go from here draft bust maybe journeyman maybe pro owl maybe time will tell and not your opinion or mine

So now what is your complaint just for the sake of you complaining

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Funny how you mention the receivers, but not Kelce. Again, that's not honest.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Fans yes but I don’t really recall analysts comparing him to specific QBs this draft, like Levis.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Given the lack of knowledge and comprehension you consistently show in these discussions, I thought you needed someone to explain to you why it made sense that a rookie would have a progression like Pickett's after not starting the first quarter of the season.

Please show me the post in which I suggested Pickett was better as a rookie than Lawrence. You can't because it doesn't exist. Both were erratic as rookies. What I wrote was that Lawrence was erratic and you disputed that point. When I proved you wrong, you tried to shift the argument and now you are trying to misrepresent what I posted rather than simply admitting I was right and you were wrong about that one point.

Lawrence was erratic as a rookie. Manning was worse. Of course, both showed flashes of their potential, too, but you really need to learn to acknowledge the reality there.

You act as if Pickett was dropped into the middle of some great offense. He wasn't. Even you should be able to recognize that.

My apologies to the rest of the board if this feels confrontational, but I have limited patience for people who argue with such dishonesty.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's fair, but some definitely questioned drafting a quarterback last year with the group that was coming out this season.

If they were all in this draft, I'd take Young or Stroud ahead of Pickett, but Levis? No thank you. That comparison reaks of people who are too caught up in the physical to see the mental.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh definitely, heard a lot about how much better this draft class is than last years but funny enough I have heard a few times now people saying next years class is better than this years. That was in regards to the Panthers giving up so much to move up.

Will be interesting to compare all these guys to each other in a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Anybody that is a true Steeler fan recognizes that the
    Rooney's are one of the few owners in professional
    Sports that try their best to put the most competitive team
    On the field.I am just as inpatient as the next fan, I want the Steelers
    To win big. I am hoping good things are on the way.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I didn't say the steelers. Why didn't ANYBODY ELSE that needed a qb trade up for pickett?

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

Justin Herbert who someone here said Pickett was the small hands verison off, didn't start early on and set records as a rookie.

And when did I say you suggested Pickett was better than Lawrence. That's not what I said lol.

You didn't prove me wrong because there's no rule that says this amount of ints is what equals erratic play by a rookie qb. That's something you made up.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :beathorse:

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    No answer?

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tired of wasting my time

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your false claim was that I said Pickett was good while Lawrence was erratic. That is a comparison that is favorable to Pickett. Try harder to keep up.

I absolutely proved you wrong and I wrote about more than interceptions. Lawrence had some terrible games and some good ones. How is that not erratic? Do you not know what that word means? Is that the problem?

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You did say Pickett was good. Lol you just said it in the previous post.

No you didn't cause again show me a standard somewhere that says this games with this amount of ints and this td/int ratio =erratic. It's some bs standard you tried to consulate in your small mind to prop up Pickett.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I know why you won't answer lol

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Which post are you referring to regarding Pickett? Given your interesting relationship with the truth and limited reading skills, it is often difficult to tell. I did not compare Pickett's rookie season favorably to Lawrence's. I thought both showed encouraging signs, but both also needed to get a lot better.

Regarding the issue with referring to Lawrence as erratic, I see the problem is that you don't know what erratic means. You do know you can look these words up online when you have trouble, right?

• Like Like x 1