1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribs to stay or go?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 11, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just read (and hadn’t heard before) that the Dolphins had and/or still have interest in Mitchell Tribisky backing up Tua if they kept him. Now they they have decided to extend Tua’s 5th year, would you like the Steelers to keep or trade Mitch?

First, I’ll say I like him as a man and teammate. I even like him as a backup QB, but only for half the price.

TRADE HIM! For a 5th round pick and get him off the books. Puh-leeze!

We just dumped WJ3 and fell 11+ million under the cap. That windfall has made me greedy and I want more money and more draft picks. Shoot - draft a QB at that spot for all I care (but I’d rather they didn’t until 7B or an un-drafted guy) but give the freed up cap money towards some other vet free agent contributor.

I don’t see Mitch’s value at 8mill in any shape or form. His win ratio does not match. Im as comfortable with his efforts as I was with Duck Hodges. It was a coin flip as to whether we could pull out a win against an even or lesser opponent.

Change my mind.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    He's not worth it to me as well. If we extended him and cut that payroll in half or more, I'm 100% for it. But I don't see how that's worth it to a guy that wants to compete for a job. I think Mitch is probably gawn by Monday afternoon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    You finger tips to gods ears…

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't change it. I want Him gone.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think we have a pick between the 4th and 7th rounds this year so if we could trade him for a 5th round pick and get his numbers off the books to allocate elsewhere, I'm all for it! :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Let me get this straight, we have a decent backup QB but his salary is too high for a backup. So much so that we might even just cut him. And he's on the final year of his contract. And yet some team is going to give up even a late 7th pick for a one year rental who's overpriced?

Id be ok with trading him for a 2025 7th round pick, but we wouldn't be able to find a trade partner even for that. I just don't see him having any trade value at all with his current contract.

7. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    If I was sold a bill of goods that said "you get a 5th round pick and Stetson Bennett will be available to pick up as a backup QB", I'd sign for that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I’d def take a swing at that kid. He’s a proven winner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Again, according to some report or rumor, the Fins actually want him in the QB room with Tua for whatever reason. “IF” they really want that, then give it to em.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    OK you save $8 million; who are you bringing in to replace him? How much Experience do they have with Matt Canada's offense? I am expecting to see some $8 - $10 million backup QB signings come March 15th.

As long as Kenny is on his rookie contract, we can afford to overpay for someone with experience.

I would have liked to have seen Mason stick around, but I think the Steelers front office burned all their bridges with Mason last year.

It is also funny that Josh Dobbs has gone completely silent. I expected to see him popup on maybe Tennessee's reserve/futures list. Right now, he is out there as a complete free agent.

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If Trubisky is unloaded then Kenny is the only QB on the roster and you need 4 QB's to start training camp. Even if you draft Stetson Bennett we would still have get 2 more QB's somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But You could get 10 Qbs from Now to then, and still save what We are paying.
    Excuse the over exaggerated amount , but You get my drift.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If it weren’t for the Ravens game in Pittsburgh

• Like Like x 1
  14. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Free agency for much cheaper and/or undrafted for much much more money.

15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I drove a long way and paid a lot of money to go to that game only to watch a big fat L. Tribisky showed me everything and it was VERY little. Admittedly it’s part of the reason I have such a grudge against him and his value to cap ratio. You can get what he offers you for half as much with someone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Then I hope those other guys show more production on the field and in the win column. If they do, then they are probably worth it. Like Mike White with the Jets, Cooper Rush with Dallas or Purdy out in San Fran. Guys that keep you winning in the hunt. Not a 50/50 stuttering VW Beetle from the 1960’s - like Tribisky looks like out there.

I disagree… While Kenny is on his rookie contract is when you bolster wisely and beef up all other areas, because if he’s sidelined we are basically screwed anyway because back ups like Mitch are on as good as a coin flip. So, you pay the 2nd string QB 1/2 that at 3-4 mill and spend the other 3-4 getting a LB from free agency who can contribute towards stopping the other team from lighting up the scoreboard since your point getter is down.

I’d love Dobbs at a fraction of Mitch’s salery. A super smart experienced vet in the QB room with Kenny??? Please do that! Plus his win value is the same as Tribs and money has been spent wisely at another position of need to fill a hole.

Look if Mitch were better or if he were cheaper all bets are off. Keep him.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't believe he's going to be traded; I believe that he's going to be cut. Nobody is going to trade for him.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    After I looked at the free agent QB's and you're right we could get some quality QB's at a far cheaper price than Trubisky. Cooper Rush and Mike White have proven that they can win games in the NFL before and would cost a fraction of what we are paying Mitch. Sign one of them and then bring in an undrafted camp arm from somewhere and we're set.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Both Rooney and Kahn have said he will be staying

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I know what they said, but they also said not at that cap hit. Media types (like they're right or someshytt) are also claiming that Kahn is going to be more aggressive in FA acquisitions, cap space gotta be created somewhere. So unless Mitch agrees to some extension, bringing down his cap hit, I just can't foresee him staying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Kahn said he would look forward to him being here

That’s not the same as he will be here

It certainly shows a desire but it takes two to tango

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah but, lots of things are “said” and often different than what they do. These guys are all playing poker here and not showing their hands during free agency and the draft. Unless they were clearly adamant. But I don’t think they were at all. Seemed more lip service than genuine if you ask me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agree i've been saying the same thing. They will extend him I believe to bring down the cap hit if in so he wants to stay. They would eat 2,625 M if released and like said save 8 M.

It will be hurry up and wait.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There are only two ways out for Mitch:

1). He throws a temper tantrum and insists on trade or release and the Steelers indulge him.
    2) The Steelers come asking Mitch for a pay cut and he says “Nope, release me”.

as it stands now, it looks like Steelers are happy to keep Mitch as a backup and though Mitch may not be thrilled with the situation, he isn’t sure he has better options.

25. SteelersFan1234

SteelersFan1234 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Dolphins signed White from the Jets so yeah, I think Mitchell is going to stay