1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential free agent targets

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Jan 9, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's a big Guy, but So was Cam Newton....
    It will last only for awhile....unless they change something. Notice how much worse He has been doing since that one run last month....when he got smashed to the earth ,and hurt His shoulder. Seems strange to put Your most valuable player into those predicaments.
    No matter what anyone thinks. If Your Qb runs ....He takes more hits than a predominately pocket Qb. There is a reason Lamar, Allen, and Hurts have taken more hits than most Qbs this year. Those hits add up. Why piss against(, or into) the wind???

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Jim Croce prefers you don't spit into the wind but I digress...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You also don't pull the mask from the old lone ranger, and You don't mess around with Jim....:thumbs_up:

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Well, of course not. That would just be stupid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you see what Roquan signed for
    I give him about 4 more years. His body will break down and he will be done!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t see the Allen play you are talking about. Actually the Steelers game Sunday was the first football I have enjoyed in like a month. The end of December I got Covid, sickest I’ve ever been until last week when just starting to get past Covid I got a GI Virus which was even worse, puking and ****ting my guts out and an even worse flu feeling than Covid.

Trying to recover from two viruses at once has left me wiped out but finally these last two days I’m pretty much back to normal. Little cough left still from Covid.

As far as the QB’s, we’ll never see eye to eye on this my friend. If they aren’t getting hurt on designed runs I don’t consider that an example of them being hurt because they are running QB’s. Most of these guys I see getting hurt are sacks in the pocket or getting flushed and scrambling.

Allen is the guy I want when I say I’d like a running QB, he does both well, throwing from the pocket and running.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Glad You are better. Honestly :thumbs_up:.
    No We never Will. I just see the Hits these Guys take, and I would want No part of it if I was a GM. 3 times the amount of Hits per year than the predominately pocket Qb is a lot. So no matter how good they are they are accumulating punishment at 3 times the rate of most Qbs.
    Scary.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last Day to Tag. Waiting to see what Buffallo does with Tremaine Edmunds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn’t. 4:00 I believe was the deadline.

10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I saw Eric Kendricks was released for cap reasons. Wonder if he is worth a look? I don't know a whole lot about him and he is 31 years old but I saw a quick blurb on him saying he had a lot left in the tank. Of course I have no idea if he fits into the scheme the Steelers run.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Been with the Vikings his whole career. He was released to save 9.5 mill. Bring him in for a look see.

The ILBer position is quite the elephant in the room. Myles Jack and Mark Robinson are the only two left that played in the defense. And who knows what the situation with Jack is. They have to either reduce his 11,250 cap hit with an extension or release him with a 3,250 mill dead cap hit. Plus he was the wearing the green dot and nursing a knee injury. This would leave Robinson who I do feel will have a bigger role but can he be a starter?

I feel they will extend Jack. Spillane is a possibility to come back.

Even if they draft one with the second #2 I don't expect a plug and play.

Unless they go all in with a guy like Bobby Wagner.

Seems one of the positions that won't be solidified until next season possibly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Yeah, still a lot of ifs. It might tip their hand to what they're doing in the draft if they're quiet in free agency with regards to ILB. I can't imagine they're completely happy with what they have on the roster, even if they feel Robinson will turn out to be a starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Kaleb McGary did not get the franchise tag from Atlanta and will test the free agent Market.

I think I read that McGary was rated as the 4th best tackle in the league last year.

I still think Chuks is a better LT than a RT, so brining in McGary would be a way to make this happen. LOL... Do we have $18 million to spend on a RT?
    upload_2023-3-9_11-42-27.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i read today about the ILB from Philly, maybe a James Farrior signing. if that is the case, GET HIM.

this D needs help fast with talent ready to play. Kenny and this O will need a stout D for us to think about the playoffs this season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pass

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have and will have a ton of money tied up in the defense. we have to extend or give a new contract to highsmith at some point. cam, watt, minkah, sutton to sign and highsmith. that is a lot of dough to tie up on one side of the ball. sure it's easy to say go get this guy or that one in free agency but man we don't have that kind of cash. i know they can restructure but at some point it comes due. we did just pay DJ on the offensive side but the rest aren't signed forever. :cool:

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is true, but the pool of available free agent inside linebackers is very deep and they need help at the position. It would be foolish not to try to try to fix that in free agency and devote draft picks elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

This would actually be a very good signing. Would definitely make a phone call.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe #92 prefers James! :club:

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd love to see him as a Steeler, but I doubt they are going to spend that much money on an addition at receiver.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think he’ll get a lot? I was thinking 32 years old coming off back to back 700 yard seasons his price might not be that high.

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I don’t think he really has a choice. He has to sign the tag.

if he doesn’t and sits out a year he foregoes $32 mil (that equals the total money he’s made in his 5-yr career) and his value won’t go up if he doesn’t play. He’d damage his chances for a future big $ deal. He’ll never recoup the $32 mil he’d pass up by not playing. Sitting out will be a stupid, stupid move.

His best option is to swallow his pride, sign the tag and hope he can play like he did in his MVP season, then he’ll have big $ suitors.

If his 2023 season is more of the same, missed games, inconsistent play he won’t get a big deal anyway. He’ll be in the same spot he’s in now, but with $32 mil more.

He needs to get a real agent. One that knows the GMs and knows what the market will bear. He needs an agent that will honestly tell him what he’s worth. Mommy can’t/won’t do that. A man who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer, it ain’t much better if your rep is mom.

I might be surprised but I think he smarter than Lev Bell (a high hurdle), and dont think he’ll kill his career.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It was a solid move by the Ravens. On one hand the small (if any) trust between the parties was demolished, but Lamar needs a dose of reality. In spite of the apparent no interest from other teams, when the signing period becomes official someone will at least come in sniffing. If no one does, the Ravens can actually tag for 2 more years and end up paying about the same money they had offered in guarantees..little to lose for them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not so sure. He is dumb enough to not have an agent, which makes me question his judgement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Chiefs did not tag Orlando Brown. This would certainly get the Left Side of the line out of the Dumps. I thought Brown was older than 26.
    upload_2023-3-10_16-50-8.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1