1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This is who the Steelers should target at ILB in free agency

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 8, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bengals ILB Germaine Pratt he's still young, and you take away a starter from the leader in the division :hehehe:, he would be cheaper than going after Tremaine Edmunds of the Bills. He had his best season in 2022, I wanted the Steelers to draft him when he came out. Your thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Definitely worth looking into. He's been very reliable for the Bengals and really was a impact player for the Bengals towards the end of last season. He's a solid inside tackler against the run and his pass defense has improved greatly over the last season. It's definitely a position that the Steelers need improvement for and I think he would be a good fit.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pratt wouldn't command the price of Edmonds i'm sure or Wagner. I like your thinking, stealing a player from a rival. This is to me the elephant in the room and needs to be addressed with a FA. They will draft one but not with the first 3 picks I believe.

They have to make a decision what to do with Jack. Retain and extend or cut bait. His performance last year was not above the line although him wearing the green dot, nursing a knee injury and knowing the system might save him. If they cut him it will be 2 years in a row they have failed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve been thinking this as well. I liked Pratt for us back when he was drafted.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Jack Cambell 6'5" ~250 is one I like.
    He doesn't have the Elite Speed I covet but he's a tough guy that makes up for it on instincts. He's not slow by any means.
    Size is near perfect.
    He's going to be an Outside LB though... as will be the Bama Backer.

I still like Penei Sewell
    Consensus is that he played too heavy last season. I think so as well.
    I have to look at 2021 to see potential, he was a weapon that season.
    6'3" 260 is good, though I'd like to see him ~250

This draft really doesn't seem to have all the "Elites" a lot thought.
    We may see a RB at #1.
    I still see a premium at pass rusher and that probably will be the sexy pick.

OT should be on the board. I would prefer the Steelers go that route and get the ILB later.
    Some talk of Joey Porter as the Steelers choice at 17. Maybe that's a better way to go.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d be on board with that, was also a fan coming out of college.

I’ve been looking at the FA list and changed my mind about drafting one since it’s not a very strong class and counting on landing one of the few good ones is risky plus not knowing how they will perform at the pro level.

In addition to Pratt:

Drue Tranquill
    Tremaine Edmunds
    Kyzir White
    Alex Singleton
    TJ Edwards
    David Long
    LeVonte David

I’m fine dolling out the money for any of these guys if it means locking down the position. I’m leaning towards Tranquil. Player on the rise and won’t cost as much as Edmunds or David.

People will say they can’t afford it, yes they can, they haven’t made any moves to free up any money yet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I wouldn’tmind seeing cambell in a Steelers uniform, but it depends on the round. That 40 time drops him down a bit imo. Is he worth a 3rd? If he’s available at 3-17 it depends on who else is there. If he’s there at 4-17 you take him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hadn't seen any talk of Campbell moving outside. Why do you say that?

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The free agent group at inside linebacker is deep. The Steelers should sign at least one of them whether they move on from Jack or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I've seen/heard a few talk about him projecting to be a WILL.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ok. I hadn't seen that. Everything I've read has him at middle linebacker.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    If the Steelers feel that way, I'm all for it.
    6'5 ILB would be nice... I saw a profile that said something like "Campbell has value as an inside blitzer as well, showing the initial burst to shoot through gaps and disrupt the backfield." That's why I listed him in my initial post.
    Him and TJ would be nightmares... those long arms of Campbell's would cause issues too...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    How much do you think it would take to sign him?

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Where would you consider drafting Jack Campbell?

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I figured about 10 million a year, they would probably have to release Jack though.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

2nd round. Target 49 also keeping an eye on Sewell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    add cody barton, bobby okereke, quincy williams, alex anzelone, rashaan evans to the list. :cool:

18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Did this switch to a Free Agency thread?
    I don't know who I would go after there at LB. The goal for me was: youth, try to upgrade speed and no short LB's.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wasn't this always a thread about potential free agent signings?

20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It might have been.... lol...
    I just cottoned on to it, at least the FA bit. Got the blinders on man, draft prospects.!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    After digging more into these guys I’ve updated the list and added Okereke to it.

Top six targets

Germaine Pratt
    Tremaine Edmunds
    Drue Tranquill
    Kyzir White
    Bobby Okereke
    TJ Edwards

Pratt and Edmunds should be the top two guys to target, they are the biggest of the group and stack up against the run better and still have good coverage skills. Edwards is the last guy on that list I’d want them to sign, he wasn’t very good against the run.

Plan B

Alex Singleton - age -30
    LeVonte David - age - 33
    David Long - undersized and prone to soft tissue injuries

If you sign one of these guys they definitely need to draft one as well, these guys aren’t long term answers.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmm.. I think of the plan A guys you listed, Edwards may be the best vs. the run. They’re all upgrades, but I wouldn’t pay the likely asking price for Edmunds. Pratt is my favorite from last season of that bunch, but my recollection is that he wasn’t good the prior 3 years. He had a career year in a contract year. Edwards has been a good player for a couple of years now, and is my favorite from that list.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going by something ESPN wrote:

Originally we planned to suggest 33-year-old Lavonte David for the Steelers, as he’s still playing at a high level. However, signing a veteran doesn’t really seem like the Steelers way. They’re more likely to sign a younger player still in his prime. So, how about the 27-year-old Edwards, who started for Philadelphia for the past three years. Edwards is not a supreme run-stopper, but he’s excellent against the pass. Last season, he allowed just 3.6 yards per pass in coverage with a 74% success rate.

PFF gave him a good run grade so I naturally subtracted for that, lol.

Admittedly I don’t watch a lot of the Eagles so was just going by his poor SB performance plus what ESPN said. To be fair though, not a supreme run stopper leaves a lot open for interpretation. If you say he is good at it, I’ll take your word for it. That would bump him up the list for me.

Like most smaller LB’s, he can have trouble getting off blocks so that was another reason I felt they should go with the bigger guys. Have to be good against the run in our division.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    He’s not smaller. He’s listed at 6’1” 242, which is heavier than Tranquill, White or Okereke. Pratt is 245 and Edmunds is 250, but 4” taller.

I should clarify one thing. Edwards may be my favorite, but I expect him to cost more than Pratt, so Pratt is the guy I’m most interested in from a cost vs quality perspective.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Talking about weight, I saw he was 234. Tranquil is in that range which is why I bumped Pratt and Edmunds over him. I still like Tranquil a lot, good at getting to the QB. On 70 rush attempts he had 15 pressures, 5 sacks and 3 QB hits.

• Like Like x 1