1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Calvin Austin III Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GoldBurgh, Mar 5, 2023.

1. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What can we expect? Speed

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022

Good hands? Good route runner? Goes forward after the catch and not backwards?

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hasn’t played a snap in the nfl so none of the above

And injured

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Very good route runner and combined with his speed thats deadly.

The concern with Austin is his size and if he can hold up to the rigors of the NFL. So far he has not gotten off to a good start.

Losing a season really puts the Steelers in a bind because hes still an unknown quantity. Now they pretty much have to draft or bring in a FA WR just in case Austin doesnt pan out this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. He has great speed, but he really was a complete receiver in college. I am concerned about the foot injury, but not due to his size. Foot problems tend to be more common the bigger a person is, not smaller, due to the weight on the foot. That said, foot problems are not easy to recover from regardless of your size.

7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s a tiny man and has already missed a year with injury. I wouldn’t hold my breathe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You do realize that his size is irrelevant to the injury he had, right? Being small actually makes foot injuries less likely, not more.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he will come back stronger and better then ever

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One plus about the type of injury he had was nothing stopping him from being in the gym all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We have only discussed this 37 times. Yes you have informed me. I’m not talking about his foot I’m taking about his tiny diminutive stature and counting on him to contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All of the above. He’s definitely a speed guy but he’s also a pretty well rounded receiver and not just one dimensional. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He wasn’t on my radar at all when we drafted him. After we drafted him I went back and watched all of his college games that I could find, including him giving Sauce Gardner fits. He’s very dynamic, and a true WR, not just a gimmicky speed guy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I did a search on the Google and couldn't find any studies or statistics that support the claim that smaller players get hurt more often. To the contrary, actually. Some of what I read claimed that players with a higher BMI are more likely to get injured. Of course there are a lot of variables that play into a study of that nature. Point being, right now there doesn't seem to be any reason to question his durability.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Khan does not agree with you on this one.

Now Healthy, Steelers 'Expecting Great Things' from Calvin Austin (steelersnow.com)
    Speaking at the 2023 NFL Combine in Indianapolis on Tuesday, Steelers general manager Omar Khan said that Austin is expected to be fully healthy for the start of OTAs and that the team has confidence in his ability to make an impact this fall.
    “We’re expecting great things from Calvin,” Khan said. “He’s progressing nicely. We’re excited about him being on the field here in the spring when we get back to football. We’re excited to have him.”

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your post above implied that the injury and his size were connected. Perhaps that was not your intent.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are shorter guys than Austin in the NFL. There are thinner guys than Austin in the NFL, like Davonte Smith. Of course, losing a season to injury is a concern, but I think the size issue has been blown out of proportion.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would answer, but then You would want to accuse Me of following You around. LoL :shrug:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Even if he's healthy I don't think he will be a guy who gets a lot of targets, more likely to catch a few passes a game, or run some jet sweeps.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Huh?

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why? Austin was not a gimmick player at Memphis. He isn't going to win contested catches, but can certainly produce as a slot guy.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe he will be, but at his size I would be concerned about him holding up to the rigors of the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    DeVonta Smith is every bit as skinny and he hasn't missed a game in two NFL seasons.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    CAII is a player I still believe greatly in among his 2022 classmates. If anything, including Kenny Pickett, CAIII was my favorite and I had hoped to see him in Year One. Sadly, that would not come to be. Year two hopefully will be different but I would also elect to draft someone in case something happens again. Reminder that the main plan for the 2022 team was to have Diontae as the X, Chase/George as the Y and have Anthony Miller/CAII/Steven Sims as the Slot. However, due to the inefficiency of Mitch Trubisky and the continual decline of Chase Claypool (who would then be traded), Pittsburgh had exclusively relied on Diontae, George and Steven Sims (Anthony Miller was out for the season by this point as well). Add in Kenny and some of his early season struggles and the WR Corps looked a hot mess... but not because of the talent. It is just that the WRs themselves were not in the correct roles; some games even having Pickens in the slot!! :eek:

This season, here is hoping that the Steelers have learned the value and importance of adding a fail safe. While some may state that Pat Freiermuth is the "fail safe" I beg to differ for multiple reasons; the most notable being that Freiermuth's talents are to best used down the middle to deep middle of the field and/or acting as a security blanket for young Kenny. Now, CAIII should be the incumbent starting slot role right?!... well.. without seeing him in live NFL Game Action, it is difficult to state how well he would fare. Omar Kahn did give him a vote of confidence during the Combine but that does not mean Pittsburgh has stopped looking for slot based options. If anything, them being in contact with the likes of Jaxson Smith and Jordan Addison tell me that the Steelers are only beginning in terms of finding another slot based option should CAIII be unable to go in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Either way Austin will be like the 5th or 6th option on offense :shrug:.