1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reunite with Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 19, 2023.

1. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Does it even matter if the Steelers want him? There's no way he'd sign with us. The Steelers were recently listed as having among the worst facilities in the league. Dupree will only sign with a team that has a first rate hot tub.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Unless he was one of the many players who gave the Steelers’ strength coach an “A”

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I love how all these reunite threads are retreads of previous players. Most of them washed up ones. Steelers board is on point with the Steelers Way!

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be a solid move. He was a stud his last two season here, I dont really care what happened in Tennessee. For all the bitching about coaching, players that do well here often don’t after they leave. Mike Hilton being the exception, should have found a way to keep him.

They clearly have a need for this, what would your solution be? Bring in a high price FA that won’t accept that roll? A draft prospect that wont contribute squat for a year or two? Or maybe continue to roll out the same depth players that don’t do crap when Watt is out?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I think a draft pick could be in order although I agree if it’s a later pick they most likely won’t contribute year 1. I just think it’s funny thinking bringing back guys who are declining and older will fix our problems. Only 1 thing needs replaced and we all know that is never happening.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    With the beast Watt on the other side. What did he do before that?

He has struggled in Tennessee with injuries and really did very little to justify that contract. He is damaged goods who missed several games in Titan land.

Who knows what he would command "IF" he was released from the Titans. Vet minimum? :lolol: He has a 10,850 mill dead cap hit if released.

I disagree that fact they couldn't draft a diamond in the rough at OLber that can come in, play special teams and get some reps in the defense. They found Greg Lloyd in the 6th round.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not saying they shouldn’t draft one, they should but they need someone that can contribute now and then if your draft pick pans out you can move on from Bud.

CK, Highsmith ain’t exactly chop liver. I know you don’t like Bud but it would be a good move if he can stay healthy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True Highsmith is way beyond at this point then Dupree was. If he was healthy and not injury prone then maybe if the contract was low I could understand them bringing him back.

Its great that two posters actually having a disagreement with out actually calling one another stupid, dumb or just degrading one another. What a novel idea.

• Like Like x 3
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait....You can do both. Draft a guy, and bring in help.
    Nobody I know is asking for Him to be the starter, or get paid like one, but if You don't think He could help as a 3rd....I don't know what to say. He also has plenty of experience at both ends. So flip flopping giving breaks for Watt, and Highsmith should prove no problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He actually did pretty good what playing time He got before Watt got here. He was also playing across from some of the worst pass rushers at that time.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not true. One of our best Defensive performances last year .....Edmunds didn't play not one down. Not only did we shut down the the top 5 Wr in the league, but the number one rusher in the league, had multiple forced turnovers, and(most importantly )won...all without Edmunds ever on the field. :shrug:

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

No thanks.. Keep moving nothing to see here.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You forget that was without most of the starters as well. Got away with a few miscues too.

They definitely use Minka different when he's in the game. Not saying he's a super star, but he holds down his spot and allows Minka to do his thing. I think they can grab a guy in the draft to replace hime this year, but those guys don't usually come in first year and play to their potential. They usually make a lot of mistakes getting the feel of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not the Buffalo game, they got their ass beat and they abused Norwood. Even people in the game day thread that don’t like him were saying the team was missing having him out there.

They had Kazee back for the Raiders game plus Watt and let’s not pretend that shutting down the Raiders was any some great feat. Jones play fell off the map by then and Carr was playing so awful he got benched.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I would love to have Dupree back… give him a 1 yr contract and see if he agrees to it… no brainer he fits in to Steelers def scheme

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Carr got benched after, and only because they didn't want to pay Him. You are looking after the fact.
    That would be like judging Mike Tyson only after Buster D, and not anything before.
    They had the number1 RB in the league, and the top 5 Wrs in the league at the time, and We shut them both down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Do we really need depth at the hot tub position?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the answer is somewhere in between. Carr's benching wasn't just about performance, though he was bad that night against the Steelers. He seemed to have more trouble with the cold than Pickett.

Blast, did you mean to say Jacobs' play had fallen off the map by then? That simply isn't true. In the five games before the Raiders faced the Steelers, Jacobs had 109, 229, 144, 99, and 93 yards rushing. That is an average of 134.8 yards per game. Take away the monster game against the Seahawks and he still had 111.25 yards per game in that stretch, so no, he hadn't fallen off at all.

The conditions definitely played a role, but that was a very good offense the Steelers faced that night. I think that games showed that the issue against the Bills wasn't the absence of Edmunds. It was the dominance of the opponent and it was the lack of even a competent replacement. Norwood is just awful and they didn't have Watt to help cover for that awfulness. Give them a competent replacement in Kazee and they didn't miss Edmunds at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt say he got benched that game. I alluded to the fact that the Raiders were playing like **** down the stretch, Jones wasnt doing anything and Carr got benched. His last 5 game before being benched he threw 9 picks. The Steelers game was the last time he played.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My bad then, I thought his game fell off a cliff towards the end of the season. Must be thinking of another RB.

• Like Like x 2
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because We caused the break down.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m sure that was due to Edmunds not playing.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this could be a spot where they take advantage of leal to help out. drafting someone at OLB (and probably not early) and drafting a DT to help out along with who we have here and using leal as possibly a 4th OLB in some situations like they did last year, along with roche and the rookie, there will be no need to bring in bud dupree. if bud was worth bringing in he would get a bigger contract from someone else. roche saw what it's like elsewhere and didn't do bad in that role. now he has watt and highsmith to help him along further. same as leal and same as a rookie. bud is a warm broken body at this point. if watt goes down, bud won't be far behind. then we have two problems. :cool:

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Your plan if Watt misses time is a late rd OLB, rookie DT and Roche with Leal helping out? Yikes.

Buds only question mark is health. At least we know he has the ability to play at a high level. This team has a dismal record without TJ, they need someone that will make that loss less painful for when he misses games. If not Bud, then someone else that’s proven and can help immediately.