1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Holes do the Steelers have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Mar 3, 2023.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    True he didn't have a banner year and for the most part was playing next to a bust but he is the only starter left as well as wearing the green dot. Spillane wore it when he was out nursing a knee injury. I don't believe they will release him but they have to get the cap hit down from 11,250 mill if they intend to keep him. Their is a 3,250 mill dead cap if released.

If they did release him it would signal a 2 year failure trading for Schobert in 21 and signing the released Jack in 22 both from Jacksonville.

Unless they have someone in mind in free agency I feel he will be back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I was thinking about the green dot after I made this post. You bring up a good point. I just hope they can revise his contract but he has all the leverage right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I would say we have at least 1 if not 2 OL Holes. We need another WR (although that may not be a huge hole) we need at least 1 DL we need at least 1 MLB and at least 1 CB.

If we really want to address the teams weakness I’m seeing 5/6 holes that need to improve next season. 3 of them will hopefully be had in the first 50 picks although hitting on all 3 is probably unlikely. The bargain bin approach won’t really address the others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Their first three picks are very early, not that unlikely to hit on them.

Can’t whiff on their first pick, no Jarvis, Bush or Burns picks this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers need to upgrade CB, ILB, DLine, OT, OG. Need some depth at OLB, OLine, WR. Potentially losing Sutton, Edmonds, Jack, Ogunjobi,… means there will be holes after FA and draft is done. It will really take two years to fill holes and upgrade.

ithink they need to look at BPA in the draft (esp. #17), although have a plan to address CB, OL, DL, LB if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    A couple things are going on in our favor this year.
    We have holes at ILB, DL, OL CB and SS and Slot CB and I guess edge depth.
    The Draft is strong at Edge, CB, Slot CB and SS. I think it is mediocre at OL.
    Free Agency is Strong at Dl and ILB.
    We are pretty much covered between both FA and the Draft if we play our cards right.
    It all starts with bringing Sutton back. If we can bring him back and a legit ILB in free agency as well as a Free Agent DL then I think we are really set for the draft. If we don’t get a DL or ILB in FA then we need to grab a OL that can offer up competition at either LT or LG.
    Even if we fill ILB and CB in FA I still want to draft in those areas if the pedigree is available when we draft.
    With all of that being said I could see us going after a mid tier DL and maybe an above average ILB prospect in FA along with Sutton. FA ILB’s are usually cheaper than the positions but if we do this I don’t see us keeping Jack. I see us bringing in Spillane to where the green dot who is a heady player and would come at relatively fair price.

Here is a list of some potential FA ILB’s (Not old or unrealistic ones like Wagner or David):
    1. David Long Jr.
    2. TJ. Edwards
    3. Kyzir White
    4. Germaine Pratt
    5. Leighton Vander Esch
    6. Alex Anzalone
    7. Azeez Al Shairr

All of these guys are better than anybody we currently have on our roster.

If we can’t resign Ogunjobi there are options out there:
    1. Dalvin Tomlinson - might be a little too expensive
    2. Shawn Robinson
    3.Sheldon Rankins

The DL market isn’t quite as strong as the ILB market. The best scenario would be to bring back Ogunjobi and draft a NT type in the later rounds as a lot of those guys are available later in the draft. We wouldn’t be adding that young 3/5 Tech that I know they would love to do but with the holes at ILB and CB you can’t just fill them all in one draft.

The more and more I look at this draft the more I hope we really load up on defense. Thats where I see our biggest needs. I would really like to solidfy the DB and ILB room in this draft and free agency. I am fearful that if we pick up FA ILB and resign Sutton we won’t consider drafting in those areas. I would hate to miss out on talent Jack Campbell at ILB or Cam Smith if those guys are available to take when we draft and reach on another reposition of need where the talent may be inferior.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But you know the odds on those early picks and getting 3 for 3 is pretty low

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Are they? I know thats true of rds 3 and later but the first two rds I’d be curious to know the success/fail rate is.

They hit pretty well for last years draft. Grading on early returns anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Let’s pick the highest historical success rate OL

To hit in the first 3 considering there are 2 in second comes out to a 41% rate

If it was a normal 1 2 3 draft we would be down to 23%

Historic Success Chart
    The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have faith.

And booze for draft night :tequila:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going to be in Tunisia on draft night

I’m the wrong faith and I’m having my doubts about the ease of finding alcohol

So please help a friend out

12. Black Steel

Black Steel Member

May 22, 2019
    Listening to Jack Campbell interview on Movin the Chains and seeing his combine numbers/production at Iowa, I cannot think of a better guy for the Steelers. He is exactly what this team needs at MLB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    good assessment, I agree, this should be a HEAVY D draft and /or FA.

but this FO will wet the bed and select a WR in Rd 1....

:rolleyes:

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed.

NO OLB until LATE, or UDFA.

Bud won't be here, book it Dano!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope the Steelers cut alot of dead weight
    And upgrade their full roster with upgraded Talent.
    We have too, our roster is inferior to the top teams.

• Like Like x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    As an Iowa fan, I would love to see Campbell stay in black and gold. I had questions about his coverage skills but a gal they had at the combine said that after she viewed his tape she thought his coverage skills were better than his run support. I feel it's the opposite but I'm not a film study guru either. Either way, he would be a great addition to the team.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Black Steel

Black Steel Member

May 22, 2019
    Pretty sure they flashed a stat during the combine that he had the best grade against the Pass.

https://us-east-1-02870039-view.men...vSXhYc0FBcHpOMz9mb3JtYXQ9anBnJm5hbWU9c21hbGw~
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers have too many holes to fix in 1 year of draft and free agency to hang with the Chiefs and Bengals, IMHO. 2024 will be the year the Super Bowl window reopens for the first time since 2016....if Pickett develops into a franchise caliber QB.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What do You mean wrong faith????

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going to be in a Muslim country

I’m Catholic

I was playing off Blast’s comment about having faith in the draft and booze

22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    If your Historic chart is right why would any team bother signing up free agent OL? I am surprised DB is that high. It always feels like there are DB, DL and Edge players that are drafted high that never pan out. Based on your chart I would think the shortest bets of the Steelers would be somebody like Skoronski in the first and Campbell in the second. I do feel like DB hit rate is gong to be higher this year just with how deep the draft is. The DL position to me is one of the toughest to evaluate this year.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is, last year Seattle and I believe another team got 4 and possibly even a 5 quality starters, but those drafts do not happen often, and with that you realize the growing pains starting that many rookies.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    OT is just fine imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm Catholic also.
    I didn't know about the Muslims part.:thumbs_up: