1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Suck

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Mar 1, 2023.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Exactly. It would be a shame if we had a player choose a different team in free agency and one of the reasons was the facility perks.

I think knowing your kids are upstairs in the same (or nearby) building when you come in to workout and you don`t have to make an extra trip to pick them up somewhere else coming and going to the facility is a plus. Maybe a few players will decide to stay instead of leave over time.

I don`t know all the details either. One post here commented on the kids having to hear adult language which seemed unlikely unless daycare area was stupidly located. I think everybody is smarter than that.

Some complain about rich players getting another freebie, but I don`t know if daycare at the facility is 100% free. Do some teams charge something?

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to not be above average or exceptional in this small thing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No doubt times and expectations are changing, but just one report on this 'poll' made me shake my head. It was on a radio show this morning and they were talking about it and mentioned the Jags given a bad review because they made players pay for food..in the off season when they wanted to use the Jag facilities to work out. Why in the hell should someone get their lunch free when it is not a mandatory work session? To use the facilities has some peril for both the organization and players..thats why you make sure you have the insurance and language in your contract to protect yourself. But expecting free food, because you want to lift..at their facility? I only bring this up because it highlights how ridiculous this type of thing can become. Some of the issues may have merit, but if there really is an issue, communicate it through the proper channels. It may not get satisfaction, but you get enough players and their families together the team may just realize it is to their benefit to make life for fulfilling for the players.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Come on "desert rat" don't be firing me up like that;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    One of my All-time favorite players is Rocky. Everyone knows how the chief let him stay with the Steelers and workout/rehab from his war injuries. The Chief had a lifetime reputation of making everyone feel like family.

The Org has for a long time been regarded as one of the leagues BEST and classiest Org. primarily due to how they have historically treated their players making them feel like family .

Im bothered that the players have ranked the Org 22nd out of 32. Considering they have a 20yr old stadium I didn’t expect them to be top five BUT a simple and relatively cheap thing like Daycare for the players family during gameday/in season would have gone a long way in improving that ranking.

I know y’all could care less, or even agitated that these rich people has the audacity to complain about anything but I’m a proponent of how you treat people matters. It use to matter to the Steelers but sadly it seems the new guard thinks differently than the old guard.

Cajun

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not disagree, but I also have to look at the 'complaints' from a different perspective, Pro athletes in this time (not all, but many) just seem entitled. That of course is a generalized statement, We have a 'report' of players voting on issues they feel (at least somewhat) are important to them, What steps have they taken individually and as a team to voice those concerns? While it might be nice..even great to have daycare for gametime, have the players offered any possible solutions? Did they ask if there was a possible location, even offer to pay themselves if a suitable location were provided in the facility. I mean why should they pay for something nearly every other person has to do? yes the optics for these services would be great and in the long term would make a possible FA signing one more reason to look more favorably at the team, but bottom line will always be "how much net is this contract gonna give me". lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    You and all the people who agreed with you should be embarrassed at the stupidity of this line of thinking. Putting the fact that these are allegedly the results of a confidential survey and not guys just whining/complaining about their organizations for no reason aside, lets unpack this “the players make too much” mentality and the underline contempt many fans have for players.

Can you get anymore un-American? In America you’re supposedly entitled to whatever you legitimately can earn. These players generate billions that’s why they get paid so much. The truth is, they still don’t even get a fair shake. You want to compare someone who makes the NFL with the “average Joe” when being the opposite of average is the only way you make the NFL. You can’t be average and make it, you have to be exceptional. 6% of high school football players make it to play college level and 1% of those that make it to college will get drafted to the NFL. Even when they do beat the odds and get drafted the average career is 3 years and they’re lucky to leave without brain damage.

if any party getting a piece of the multi billion dollar NFL pie deserves their seat at the table it’s the players. They’ve clearly earned it. As we see first hand with the Steelers franchise, being an owner isn't necessarily about being exceptional or even earning it. You can just be born into the right family. Have the right dad. That’s true for execs and even coaches too. It’s funny how the so called average joes have no problem with the “good ole boys” networks, but it’s kids from middle to low class upbringings who’ve literally had to prove themselves as 1 of 1 million making too much tho.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The company I work for is the biggest employer in town and the top two concerns among those of us in the rank and file is the lack of affordable and quality housing and child care. The company even tried to work an incentive plan to get more daycare providers in town and it failed miserably mostly due to the range of hours the shift work covers.

Now just to address the elephant in the room about providing adequate child care let me share my experience both as the child of a former daycare provider and as a parent. State, Federal and municipal laws regulate child care and depending on the regulations it can be a very harrowing process for the provider who receives pay that is far below what minimum wage earners get for longer hours with bad parents and worse children. It is not an easy choice to make. As a father of a xhild who was bullied at his first daycare I will never again take a child to a daycare without due diligence into what goes on there.

I say all of this as a reason I'm sure NFL teams don't jump feet first into offering daycare services. Lots of opportunities to run into trouble.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Maybe it's just me but every time I see people getting ridiculously richer and richer with no end in sight to the hundreds of millions of dollars from politicians to celebrities to athletes and whomever else, it makes me feel like I'm hardly getting ahead in my life. The wife and I have pretty important jobs and while we watch others become incredibly rich at our hard working expense but together we both just received less than a 5% pay raise combined. Meanwhile inflation continues to cripple our incomes. Soon these people who whine about having to pay for child care and the displeasure of having to pay for their meals while they work out will wonder why people can't afford their seats to watch them play a game.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Who’s whining except you tho?

If the money that these guys are generating and making bothers you so much, then why are you a fan? Why on this forum? Serious questions

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Been a fan for 50 + years. Probably longer than you've been alive. Back when football was actually much better than it is today. I'm on this forum as a daily escape from all the current events of a somewhat bizarre society anymore.

Any other questions?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I am a Pittsburgh sports fan regardless what happens. The greed I understand. It's all over America in all areas. What bothers me is when young men/women making millions complains about stupid **** while 90 % of the population can't come close to having the comfort and lifestyle they have.

Reminds me of the time we were leaving a Pirate game. A ton of us bitching and moaning about the owner yet we all just padded his income.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    While I don’t feel bad for players that have to dig into their own pockets I also never got the resentment for how much they make.

This is America, if people aren’t happy with what they make, figure out how to make more. The opportunities are there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I just paid my Steelers season ticket invoice.

Heck I may as well pay my taxes today as well.

:smiley1:

14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think this is really silly. They have nothing to write about in the offseason so they look for stuff. I would have figured maybe an article like this would have come out maybe in the June time frame when the news is really lacking. I doubt this really matters much to any of the players. Everyone realizes the majority of the stuff discussed in the article are simply the result of the age of the facility. This has no bearing on wins and losses as you can see by who graded who well and poorly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Not any more.
    It's ducktape mouths, wrist, ankles, of family members

16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Could just be chicken nuggets

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I saw this list...The Chiefs are ranked 31st...Just a bunch of Overpaid Athletes whining...

Much to do about nothing

• Like Like x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Not to be "that" guy but isn't it "much ado about nothing"?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See....I agree with both of You. I don't begrudge anyone the money they make(unless they are born to it ...LoL), but I do get tired of them complaining about every little thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Uhhh....You were just that guy. LoL

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Sh!t....I always mess that one up.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are gonna have a chip on their shoulder....and that's a good thing. Sports media is gushing over Bengals, Bills, Chiefs, Chargers and Jaguars. Total neglect and write off for the Steelers in the off season. To hell with them. Steelers are gonna shock the world.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I think the grades are primarily because the owners aren't necessarily swimming in money...doesn't help that they are a small market team either. That being said who is paying for Acrisure? It it the team,the city, or a combo of both?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Active Member

Mar 19, 2022
    AB and his kids would have filled the entire daycare to capacity

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The should be gushing over the chiefs. They are the clear top dogs until proven otherwise and have the without question best player in the world.

Everyone else in both conference's is a question mark. San Fran the qb situation. Eagles losing pieces from this yr. Bengals have to pay burrow and won't have the same guys back. Bills just frauds. Jags have taken a step forward I think you may see them go further next yr. Lawrence has the potential to be the 2nd beat qb in the afc. Chargers meh we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 2