1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Holes do the Steelers have?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    When I refer to holes I mean areas where they do not have a current starter in place on the roster at that position.

The way I look at it we have 4 holes on this team and they all are on defense.

1 DL, 1 ILB, 1 SS and 1 CB. We are losing the following players to free agency without a starter capable player on the roster to fill the position. Ogunjobi, Busch/Spillane, Edmunds, Sutton.

The second part is positions that can be upgraded from a mediocre starter to a better starter -
    1DL Ogunjobi, 1 NT Montravius, 2 ILB Jack and Open, 1 CB Wallace, SS Edmunds, Slot CB Maulet, LT Moore, LG Dotson and Edge.

So that leaves us with 10 positions as we enter Free Agency. How realistic is it for us to fill the open positions and upgrade all of the positions listed in both the Draft and Free Agency?

It is not possible. I think an ideal situation is to hopefully hit on three draft picks and two free agency signings. If were really fortunate we are at least breaking even as in we fill a couple of other positions with previous starter capable players who may not be an upgrade from the previous year but they are solid which would bring it to about 7 transactions from a team building standpoint.

I think when the Steelers look at their current team needs they have to like that the draft in a lot of ways really signs up well to fill a lot of those needs. The draft seems to be strong at CB, S, Edge but is weak at OT, ILB and DL in my mind. I think OG is average.

If I am the Steelers if you can find a way to bring back three of your own in Sutton, Edmunds and Ogunjobi it really positions us well going into the draft to go after some areas of strength in the draft that also fill our needs.

I do believe they need to take it a step further and pick up an ILB in free agency as free ageceny is heavy on a lot of ILB’s who I feel offer a lot more upside the what we have in Jack. Then you cut Jack obviously and hope you pick up a Jack from Iowa at ILB in the draft.

So under this scenario you would have filled the following positions before the draft -
    DL, SS, CB, 1 ILB.

Going into the draft you would still have needs at NT, ILB, Slot CB, LT, LG and Edge Depth.

Of the above needs you realistically only have one position that lacks a starter at ILB, the rest of them are upgrades. Three of the positions are positions that are typically not full time starters in Edge Depth, NT and Slot CB. Meaning they really are luxury picks that unless your roster is completely loaded you aren’t going to spend high draft capital on these positions when you have other areas of need on the roster.

If the offseason plays out this way I would still be leaning towards taking a CB, OL and ILB in the first three picks. I don’t think you can miss out on the CB talent in this draft. If we can get Jack in the draft to pair up with an upgraded ILB free agent that could finally solid a weak position on the defense for five years. You draft a really talented CB and start him on the edge and move Sutton to Slot it fills two positions. Then you draft a OL lat fills one of the OL positions on the left side of the line to upgrade it then we are in a solid position from a team building perspective.

What would be awesome is if they get a steal in the later rounds at an Edge depth or NT position to really solidfy the team buildout heading into next season to the extent they don’t have to worry about filling holes and they can focus on strictly upgrading positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Porter...
    Jack Campbell...
    Ika...

First 3 picks, all D...Pick up a good LG in FA and resign Sutton

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Won’t unfold like that. First of all, Sutton, Edmunds and Spillane will all probably be back.

They’ll draft a OL, CB, ILB address some other positions in FA, Bud is a distinct possibility.

No team has all pros at every position, no roster is that solid.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I’ll take the first two. I think Ika is a luxury pick for us that we aren’t in position to invest in right now. The way Tomlin has designed the defense the a true NT that can only play 2 downs is a luxury for us. Maybe if we were deeper on the DL at the 3 and 5 technique I would say yes go for Ika but at the moment we aren’t in that position.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Not sure if you are disagreeing with me or not. Your pretty saying it won’t unfold like that but yet you pretty much said we will draft three starters and resign three starters and fill the other areas of need through FA. The only difference is I am hoping they bring back Ogunjobi and go get a something better at ILB or OG in FA. What ever you don’t pick up in FA between OG or ILB you draft. I am of the opinion we need two ILB’s and quite frankly two CB’s if not three if Sutton isn’t resigned. Outside of Sutton being one of the starters we need to upgrade Wallace and we definitely need to upgrade Maulet. Perhaps I became spoiled with Hilton. There are some really good players in this draft that would project to the slot well with Branch, Clark Phillips, The Safety from Illinois and even Tomlinson. The problem is with so many needs I don’t know if we can afford to address the slot position within the first three or four picks. It is hard to to put an emphasis on Slot CB, Edge Depth and NT very high when we have so many other pressing needs.

I have a feeling we are going to draft an edge high and understand. The defense really faltered when Watt went down plus it would give us leverage in negotions with Highsmith next year. But in doing so you really miss out on the oporrtunity to build up another position group such as the ILB’s or CB’s. It would be nice if we had like four picks in the second round but obviously that isn’t realistic. Going out and finding quality free agents to fill some of the depth positions like a Kazee are huge in team building in my mind. I would prefer the Steelers do that with the Edge Depth position instead of spending a valuable early round asset on a depth position. I feel the Steelers have burned the last two years going the FA route for edge depth so they may just be sick of it. If we do resign Highsmith and also draft an edge in the first three rounds that to me is a lot to invest into one position group. It isn’t sustainable over a long period time without hurting yourself within other areas of the team. The ideal scenario is to resign Dupree on a cheap one year prove it deal so he can establish his market value while we resign Highsmith and take a late round flyer on edge depth with a guy like the edge from Eastern Micihigan (forest his name) who was ultra productive and also lit it up at the Combine (probably won’t be a late rounder now).

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Here we go again, What is wrong with Watt and Highsmith? Why do we need a better starter at OLB?

I keep seeing the Steelers taking an EDGE with one of their top 3 picks, and keep asking why? We have plenty of Starter positions we need to fill before drafting for depth.

Remember when Ingram was here in 2021, and threw a fit when finally Watt and Highsmith were both healthy and he was only called on to play 8 snaps in the game. How much draft capital do you want to spend on those 8 snaps?

I would have no problem with the Steelers taking an Edge in the 5th - 7th round this year, just like I have no problem with the Steelers Drafting a Backup QB in the 5th - 7th round.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    To answer your question how .... the Steelers put a high emphasis on putting pressure on the QB. Our whole defense starts with that. Some teams put an emphasis on the back end of the defense where we seem to focus less on with the exception of Minkah. Another question, how many games did we win when Watt went down? Obviously there is a lot more to it than that. I am with you though I am not of the opinion we should invest that heavily in the Edge position. With the draft being so deep at Edge I am hopeful we can wait and get a solid developmental piece in the latter part of the draft. Perhaps investing more on the back end of the defense will actually help our pass rushing. At the end of the day I just don’t think we have the draft capital or cap space right now to make edge depth a priority with so many other needs. Hopefully our Scouts will earn their keep and find some gems in the later rounds.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m saying they don’t have 10 holes to fill. They have a pretty good team in place already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Reread the post. I said they had 4 holes to fill. The other positions referenced I stated could be opportunity for an upgrade.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am curious as to how they mark up their draft board.
    I have OT as a first pick - if available. if there's a premium guy there.. My backup might be the best CB.
    From there, I do go Defense. ILB - I most definitely want to get a speedy one with good size, 6' +
    I also keep an eye on CB..
    S is good too.

Though the entire list could change from Free Agency.
    And it depends on Best Player Available at the time. I don't mind stepping outside the box if there's that much talent there.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need an upgrade at the #3 OLB position, but I wouldn't draft one before the third round, they don't have a 5th or 6th round pick this year.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes but...The Run D had been atrocious, and hasn't been dominant since Big Casey hung em up..I believe last in the League 3 years ago, and next to last 2 years ago...Improved this past year

NOBODY ever used to run on us! Now, everyone does! I get it , that it's a passing League, and the " old school " big ole run stopping NT is nearly obsolete..idc...We need one!

* Side note.. Bush sure as heck didn't help with those numbers...But that's an argument for another day/ thread

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going based off of this. I don’t know why it’s not possible. It’s normal reloading and restocking positions that teams do each offseason. Assuming the Steelers agree with your assessments it wouldn’t be very difficult at all.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Of the three positions most important for the Steelers to fill, offensive linemen, cornerback, and inside linebacker, I feel like inside linebacker is the most important to address in the first round. Reason being, I try and think of which positional weakness cost the Steelers the most throughout the season. Obviously the offensive line could use some upgrades but I don't know that I feel they were the reason why the Steelers lost games throughout the season, especially late. Cornerback kind of depends on the Cam Sutton situation so I could see them going that route if they are unable to re-sign him. The Steelers defense had so many issues defending the middle of the field with linebackers who weren't athletic enough to hold up in coverage. I feel like getting a real stud in the middle of the field can really change the face of the way this defense can play. I guess we will know more after we see how they do in free agency.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_20230303-175622~2.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with the 4 holes.
    CB, ILB/MLB, SS, DL.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Our SS is also a reason.

• Like Like x 1
  19. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    True and it has been pointed out by you many many many times that the defense played better in the game he was not in. However, I do really believe the defense can survive with him in the lineup, even if it would be better with an upgrade. Bush, on the other hand, could be replaced by you and I holding hands and singing Red Rose Red Rose. We would make just as many tackles if not more

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Your assuming we hit on the majority of our draft picks and free agent signings. I hope your right.

• Like Like x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  22. DuckSux

DuckSux Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    How many current players have a brother in the draft?

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we probably view the state of the team a little differently. That and I’m hopeful the bring back there own like Sutton, Edmunds, Kazee, Ogunjobi and Spillane. If they lose all those guys then yes, will be difficult.

Really have to wait until after FA to make any kind of assessment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First pick you have to protect your QB. They go with left tackle here and move Moore to left guard his natural position. Trade Dotson for a 5th.

Second pick (2nd round) is a corner or defensive tackle. This all hinges if they can retain Sutton. Heyward is turning 34. Leal is a natural DE. Milk has not proven yet he could be starting material and has struggled. Adams is a nice swing, not a starter. Ogunjobi played well when not injured but I feel he would want a security contact not a one year flyer. They paid him 8 mill last season. Sutton gets signed it's defensive tackle here.

Third pick (2nd round) If Sutton gets signed they still could draft a corner here. Or Inside Linebacker. Or Defensive Tackle.

I feel they will extend Jack, resign Spillane and Robinson will have a chance to compete to start. Possibly picking up a FA. So drafting one may not be in the cards till the 4th round.

Forth pick (3rd round) hopefully will be an OLBer

They resign Kazee. Possibly Edmonds comes back for one more year.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What has Jack done to deserve an extension? If they draft a LT Moore will probably be the swing tackle, instead of moving to LG.