1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thoughts. He was with the Steelers as a player and coach for 22 seasons. I wish him the best. I wish that MT would fire some coaches once in a while starting with Canada but he always sees to it that they just don't get retained after their contract is up. Bush has stunk every season since his injury. Jack showed promise at the beginning of the season but fell off half way thru it. I wonder if he was dealing with a nagging injury.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Their DL coach does a good job, he also worked with the OLBs, the OL coach had a good first year with the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Jack was doing the job of 2 players lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    Oh Geez!!!. That's freaking great. :thumbs_up:
    I don't hate the Guy.....I bet He's a great Guy from what I hear, but as a player.....I honestly believe He is below average. I believe the Steelers brass think so also.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Super Bowl bound now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know people wish We would fire coaches quicker, but I like that they are pretty honorable in the way they do things.
    Thats just Me though. :shrug:
    Jack was injured.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    So since we lost Shazier these are the Players the Steelers tried to replace him with:
    Jon Bostic
    Joe Schobert
    Myles Jack
    Devin Bush
    Buddy Johnson

None of them have really lit it up. I think it was a good move to replace Jerry O. But to point at him as your only problem or even the ILB’s themselves for that matter. To me it is a tell tale sign of the scheme of the Defense. We are asking our ILB’s to do too much in todays NFL and we offer them no protection with what we ask of our Defensive Lineman. The Defensive lineman do not retain Offensive Lineman. Our Defensive lineman's main priority is to get to the QB and penetrate the backfield, thus disrupting the play. We don’t ask them to maintain multiple gaps like we used too. We ask them to gap penetrate. As a result that often leaves a guard matched up on the ILB on a run play. By the way with RPO and running QB’s and defending the pass often being the first priority for the ILB’s now it is apparent they are always a step behind and not playing instinctual or down hill. The lone game last year where the ILB’s played down hill was when we played the Ravens the second game and often had four down lineman and no threat of the pass to defend.

Even with Heyward penetrating the pocket he still commanded two offensive lineman so he inherently acted as a protector of the ILB’s just because of his pedigree. I would not say the same for Ogunjobi. Ogunjobi was often single teamed and still played very average football. We need two Heywards in there and a cat quick ILB in there for the defense to truly thrive or we simplify the defensive scheme where we don’t ask the ILB’s to do so much and allow them to play more instinctual thus not needing as high of a pedigree at ILB. I would prefer we do it that way because relying on a high pedigree player at ILB just adds another high cost position to the mix on defense. You can’t pay all of these guys. In order for us to schematically make it easier for the ILB’s we need to play more true 3-4 with a solid nose tackle and ask the Defensive lineman to gap contain to keep the Offensive lineman off the ILB’s. One way we could do that is having better CB’s that can match up one on one better to take away the outside perimeter thus not requiring us to play so much heavy nickel and dime which would allow us to play with the extra Defensive lineman in a 3-4 alignment. This would also free up Minkah to help the ILB’s out underneath on the crossing routes with the Slot, TE or RB’s.

I don’t care who you get in there to coach the ILB’s we won’t succeed in that area with the same defensive scheme unless we have top tier pedigree players at that position. The question is can we even afford that. The way our defense is designed now the money goes to what you are already seeing - Edge, DL and FS. Not much left over for ILB or CB. Even Flores struggled to maximize the ILB position last year. Like I said we had to result to a different scheme in the second Baltimore game without the threat of defending the pass to succeed at stopping the run last year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I see Taylor Lewan has expressed interest in being a Steeler.
    - I'd say "No" due to the fact that two torn ACLs in three seasons is not good. Retirement is probably a better option at 31.
    Maybe, if he wanted to play backup for a decent cost. I doubt that happens. I don't want to count on him as a starter.

Bobby Wagner talk has surfaced again. A 33-year old LB.. makes me a little nervous.
    He does get the highest grades at LB.
    But he's being released from a $50 million contract and I don't wat to pay that for a 33-year old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s been trying to repair his relationship with TJ for spitting on him. Watt isn’t having it though, has not responded to him and rebuffed his requests to appear on his show three times.

I’d say there is very little chance of him being a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That signing is kind of ho hum. But we saw what happens to a team without a decent long snapper when we beat the Bengals!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd say no to Lewan and Wagner just due to age.

Wagner would be a good Vet in the LB room as a mentor, but not sure what else he can bring at this point?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the cody barton move would make more sense.
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah lets not sign the guy that our best player fkn hates (bc the guy is a P.O.S.) LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd be interested in seeing what Myles Jack can do when he doesn't have a coach telling him to jump into the first open gap he sees and totally ignore the ball carrier. So Wagner is intriguing as well since I liked how he played in Seattle where he'd track the ball carrier and explode into him making the tackle.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We are an up and coming team

If we want to compete into the future we should not sign guys my age in my condition

In the unlikely event a Joe Hadden type CB comes available that would be a good move for a couple years until a drafted kiddie can develop

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If they released Myles Jack, then I would take Wagner on a 1 year deal, he was productive with the Rams last season 140 tackles and six sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not sure they should release Jack yet. Can they restructure His deal???

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't get rid of jack yet. cody barton would be a nice addition. robinson getting more time will also help. david long was another name being thrown around that could work if barton was not brought in. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    When are we gonna trade all our bad players for all the good players?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Last year with the Rams:

140 tackles
    59 tackle assists
    6 Sacks
    2 interceptions

I would bring him in, 2 year deal. He is a beast and could help right away.

• Like Like x 3
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not a restructure. He has one year left. His cap charge is 11,250 mill with a dead cap of 3,250 mill in 2023 which is to much. Add two years with an out. I can't see them releasing him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they would sign Wagner, but he would be an upgrade from what they had last season.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1