1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What happens when they do the opposite of methodically slow and it leads to negative results. We've seen what happens when an ownership or management group is laser focused on their guy and then their guy ends up being the wrong guy. Is either situation preferable?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Actually, I liked Corral the best of all the rookie QBs this past year. Pickett second. I think, if recovered from season ending injury suffered in pre-season, Corral could take the job and run with it and be better than anything they've had since the good version of Cam Newton a long time ago.

Corral has a short throwing motion, can throw on the move and good arm and leadership. I was hoping the Steelers would wait and draft Corral after the first couple went. Other than worrisome small hands, Pickett was as good a bet as any in the draft, save for his VERY late bloomer status (old for a breakout year in college).

I am now rooting hard for Pickett, but I have a little hidden following of Corral. It helps I drafted him in both my dynasty leagues. Time will tell if he is cut fodder or a steal in 3rd round of rookie drafts.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't want them to sign Tremaine Edmunds, it would cost too much and he doesn't make enough plays, ILB David Long might be a better option and cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure the Panthers are going to roll with Corral as their starter this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    At one time in the college season leading up to the draft, he was rated as #1 overall. Then all the QBs fell.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Matt Corral....= No Good.

7. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Steelers always go to the trash heap for coaches. You can’t name one coach on that staff that’s worth a damn including Tomlin.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m interested to see what under the radar Free Agent or Draft Pick signings on the OL and DL, they bring in. To me that’s where the real value is. If we can bring in guys who aren’t high pedigree players without high spending high draft capital and high cap dollars that will position this team to be more flexible in filling the other positions on the team as well. I do believe we will spend at least one high pick on OL in the draft but I don’t see us going all in on just the OL and DL with the first three picks. We have a gaping hole at ILB and CB that needs addressed as well. It will be interesting to see how they attack ILB. I don’t think the draft is real deep in that area. I really hope they go out and get an ILB in free agency as free agency is fairly deep in that position.
    It will be interesting to see if this group is conservative in free agency as Colbert was (usually going with mid tier level free agents) and then doubling up in the draft in those same positions or if they will go after higher pedigree players in free agency. The lone high pedigree free agent I wouldn’t mind them going after especially if we do not resign Sutton is Deron Payne. I highly doubt it happens as Washington may not let him leave and if they do we will be competing with teams like Chicago for his services.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Oh, I agree, for NOW, he should be seen as part of the "competition" and they have to bring in someone, via draft or FA or trade.

What I am saying, is he is quite capable of winning the job and not looking back. He will and has fallen under the radar because of the fully lost season. Like Calvin Austin sort of has.

I think Carolina should go big or simple find a budget vet FA. If they land in the middle (like we did with Trubisky last year) then they may be stuck paying an FA way too much money to be a backup.

They have some tough decisions ahead for sure.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Does anyone know why Terrell Edmunds is so "Happy about this thing", or can find the tweet that Ramon and DK are talking about?

I will go to my Happy place too, if both Terrell and his younger brother Tremaine are both signing with the Steelers for the 2023 season.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

to be honest, id like to see them draft mazi smith early. i think this move alone could help the ILB position. if they have to spend resources blocking smith, heyward and leal, then that alone uncovers the ILB'ers to do what they do. getting jerry o out of there should also help. let's face it if a team has to double our d-linemen then there isn't much left to block the LB'ers. if not they pay for not doubling our d-linemen then they make the plays. win win.

a top safety would be my next draft pick. there are some that can do the job of a strong safety/ free safety and can cover like corners. again win win in an effort to give fitzpatrick more freedom to make more plays then he already does. all this has to go with us retaining sutton.

then we could look to add to corner or ILB in pick 3 or 4, then look to the o-line where we have some better coaching to bring them along in meyer. that's my thinking on our draft anyway. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    a couple of years too late but finally done. :cool:

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Dang.. didn't see this coming.
    So coaching changes are going to happen.
    Just not the splash ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i have been pounding the table for this one for a while but didn't think they would. i love jerry o but not his coaching. this position didn't ever take steps forward under him. it was quite stale. it could become a splash one if this works out. he and butler i've wanted gone and now both are. to me they coached the position like they played it which was good in that time but they never seemed to evolve the position and style of play towards the changing NFL. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Curry is a little green, but I think he's a good addition.
    Jerry has been inside linebackers coach since 2015.
    Inside Linebacker isn't glamorous. But I agree, some change of scenery might help.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

no not glamorous but oh so important. curry is a little green but one thing i do like is he was at the college level and successful in coaching against the zone read concepts and also the nfl level. more and more nfl teams have installed rpo's and since coaching against them gives that spot some better insight i feel. time will tell and we shall see. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Flores as well. I feel there isn't a coach in the NFL that can reach the fashion plate. Finally we won't see the most improved bust in 2023.

That being said the move needed to be made. The ILBer position has been below average since the loss of Shazier.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    DK has defended Edmunds even on His worst games. They are friends...., and like a true friend.....He looks for excuses of why His friend is not good.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2023-2-22_14-27-55.gif

:emperor:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Jerry-O thank you for all you did now get on to your life's work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2