1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah....Even the Lollipop Guild isn't slobbering all over the hire. Lol.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Yeah, I don't see this happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  4. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Not surprised by this hire. We can’t even hire a decent OC. I’m sure this dates back to a connection with Tomlin like 5 years ago or something stupid.

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They should really get rid of Jerry O! We blame Tomlin, Canada, and Danny ... but, Jerry get a pass?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I remember when the standard used to be Super Bowl wins but somewhere along the way it morphed into non-losing seasons.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    :sleepy:

Look, I’m sure Curry is a fine coach and all, but WE NEED COACHING HELP ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL WITH THAT PATHETIC EXCUSE OF AN OC WE’RE STUCK WITH FOR ANOTHER SEASON! :frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Aaron Curry is not a bad hire, especially if they are re-aligning as I saw posted earlier.

They do have a slot open still. Maybe two.
    But pickings are a little slim.
    The main slots: OC and DC are already taken, so you're probably not going to see 'splash hires.'
    If they can grab a couple innovative minds, they will move up fairly quick.

I do not think they will backfill with an assistant HC.

My hopes would be to see an offensive assistant of some sort. I would like to rob one of the better offenses, but they've been picked over.
    I wish they could have grabbed Scott Turner whom I've known since he was 8, in the role that the Raiders tagged him for.
    I think he would have blended well with Canada and maybe replaced him after 2023.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers refusal to do anything on the offensive side of the ball is absolutely maddening. I just don’t understand it. It’s so glaringly obvious but yet they stand pat with a guy who’s failed miserably the last two years by any standard with multiple quarterbacks. It’s not only the fan base which can be admittedly irrational at times, but it’s also knowledgeable football analysts who are chiming in about Canada’s deficiencies and who are having a hard time understanding the Steelers thought process here. If Canada fails miserably next year, he’s not the only coach who should be fired!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You do have to walk the line a little here.
    "In the eyes of the fan" he has failed miserably.
    But the Steelers offense did show signs of life down the stretch last year and with a rookie.
    Yes, it is true, I am not a fan of Canada either. I would have fired him.
    But I am not ready to say 'they refused to do anything' - I do know they have inquired on some.

There is a slot open, maybe two..
    I didn't expect them to go for the bling, but I at least hope that fill the vacancies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I share in the frustration when it comes to the Offensive staff but I still think we'll hire Leftwich, which would be very good. He probably isn't getting much interest, job openings are filling daily, and he has obvious ties here. While I so very much wish the Steelers were more proactive on these things, like Flores, someone will drop to them who can help out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Every year we all complain, myself included that we don’t enough to hire high pedigree coaches or splash players in free agency. There is a lot of risk in this moves. Look at the Chargers last year. They spent close to the most if not the most in free agency and what did it do for them. The Steelers are big about loyalty, continuity and the standard. Sometimes hiring from outside especially when you have a fragile situation as is with the Offense it can have an adverse effect on the performance. I think they really feel like they saw enough improvement last year that they don’t want to rock that boat and they want to see if the improvement continues this year.

The Steelers have always been slow and methodical. I don’t think that is going to change. They could have easily promoted Flores to DC and let Austin walk but that kind of move goes against the grain of what the Steelers stand for and who they are. Slow and steady breeds a type of loyalty and integrity within the organization amongst the team members and coaches. You don’t often see that on teams and it does absolutely pay off with results. The emotional and spcyholgical aspect of the game is rarely talked about. I believe that is one area where this organization is head and shoulders above a lot of other organizations. Thats why you see teams like Cleveland often draft near the top and never develop their players or go through a ton of coaches and QB’s. The other way is Belichecks way but it really takes a unique type of player at the higher level such as Brady to buy in and lead and drive the expectations. There aren’t many QB’s that could or will thrive under that environment.

The downside to the Steelers way is sometimes we do hold on a talent too long or sometimes we are too soft players. I think two examples of that are Devin Bush and Najee Harris. We should have cut bait with Busch but there really weren’t any other options. With Harris I think some of that tough love needed to happen a little earlier in the year. It is fine line between maximizing a players talents and cultivating their confidence to help them reach their full potential and ruining a player.

On last final though. I can remember last year everyone hated the OL Coach we hired. It looks like that turned out pretty good. I think the Steelers know what they are doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We did sign the #1 Free Agent QB last year, along with a Guard and Tackle. Then we didn't make the Playoffs last year, so maybe the Front Office doesn't know what they are doing. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the Steelers going out and signing the #1 Free Agent QB on the 1st day of free agency, like they did last year. This would give me hope that the Steelers are not out of the Bill's Edmunds market this offseason.

And things may change because of Khan; I was surprised when the Steelers released 3 draft picks before the season started last year, as Colbert liked to hold onto those underperforming draft picks because they were guys he drafted.

And as Tomlin would say both our Offensive and Defensive Coordinators are still JV quality. There is still a little wriggle room for the Steelers to bring in a big name coach with the Assistant Head Coach vacancy this year.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It does not help when you have an owner who likes to play GM (likely while sucking down some moonshine).

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That is one of my biggest beefs with how the current system seems to work. IDK if it was a post of yours or someone elses, but the term the steelers move 'methodically slow' was used. I know you have to wait until some playoff teams get eliminated, but to not start formulating a plan the day the season ends, and then moving on that plan is what continually brings us to the same place. Now perhaps they did contact and even interview for openings (if there are any), but you have to be stubborn or blind to think Canada does not need help with this Offense..and by help I mean sitting the man down and telling him it WILL BE a complete collaboration.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Do you need to whine about Canada every day :rolleyes: ?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Byron Leftwich is available, they could make him an offensive assistant.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe. If you don’t want to read it just ignore me. Problem solved. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

It is not me, but some analysts and coaches have said that the Steelers offense started gaining momentum.
    It's typically not ethical to 'grade' or comment another coordinator, but some have come out in support.
    These are football people who are involved with the game.

I've said a few times, Canada is not the guy I would want.
    It might be that it comes down to "who would team officials listen to? Some guy in the nosebleed seats with a Steelers jersey or Bill Belichick?"
    They certainly don't ask me. He'd be gone.

I'd like to see them add an innovative mind.. Leftwich would be a nice addition. I think he works well under guidance ie: Arians.
    And he has a good understanding of the system and how to work within it.
    He also seems to work well with QB's though in Zona he had crap and had Brady in TB... some question if it was a Brady ran offense.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    youngest offense in the league. hired a good O-Line coach. reworked and hired many in the scouting department and front office. this is really their first draft and first year under their watch. colbert put his hands in last year before he left. we made some good free agent pickups. let it play out under these new guys. they will make moves when they see fit. it's already a lot more different than many think. everything does not click overnight when there is this much change at many levels. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    IT'S TAG DAY!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!

22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Trubiscky might have been the number one free agent QB but he certainly wasn’t a high pedigree QB. He was a safe choice and a wise choice knowing they were going to draft a QB with that first pick. I don’t think the Steelers are going to target Edmunds this year. His hype and pedigree are way higher than his production. There are plenty of tier two ILB’s that can be had for much less and have been just as productive if not more than Edmunds. I do agree with you Khan, I don’t think his leash is going to be as long as Colberts was.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Why trade for a WR when you can sign a FA or draft one without giving anything up ?
    Wouldn't make a trade unless we get picks.

• Like Like x 1