1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Reunite with Bud Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 19, 2023.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/sneakier-option-rejoin-pittsburgh-steelers-offseason

I like the article and ideal, but Highsmith has earned the starting role he'd have to take a backseat to a rotation at least. The estimated 8 mil per year would be too much for that role anyways.

Of course he still had to be released which is highly anticipated due to his salary due.

I highly doubt he'll ever be a Steeler again but interesting to think about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Bud Dupree just injured himself reading this.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No thanks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would bring him back in a heartbeat at the right price, he was tearing it up here. We see what happens when Watt is out. Having Bud here would help lessen that blow.

There are so many sub packages now, you could find a roll for Bud. Would have to be made clear that he wouldnt be taking Highsmiths job, no repeat of what happened with Ingram.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    At the right price is the key phrase. If Dupree can accept being the 3rd OLB and paid like a 3rd OLB, then sure. But he is not a starter for the Steelers. For another team maybe, but not here.

7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    C'mon man how do you REALLY feel about him coming back?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take him back as the OLB #3, he's better than those other scrubs they had as backup OLBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would also.....Honestly a 3rd OLB that is good is only 3rd in name only. If good... He would actually play almost as many snaps as the other two. Just like ungrateful Ingram did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would Highsmith have to take a back seat? Backup outside linebackers do get snaps in the Steelers' defense. That would have to be Dupree's role, as a clear backup. Given the injuries and poor play since he left, he might have to take such a deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    when Watt is out? Do you mean injured, or gone? The problem is that Dumlin does not how to rotate - he promises players playing time and then they sit. Did it with Blount, did it with Ingram. Bud will never come back here, he would do himself a favor, play more and make more $$ elsewhere.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you missed it when the first round pick RB Najee lost snaps to a UDFA RB in Warren.

13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    What don't say the I name around here anymore.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When he was injured last year and any year really. Their record is abysmal without Watt in the lineup. Someone like Bud would be a nice upgrade.

Tomlin rotated Ingram just fine. Ingram just thought he was going to play himself into the starting job. Don’t blame Tomlin for Ingram being a dickhead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Couldn't we spend that money elsewhere better? Roche being back should help the position.:cool:

16. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm game, at the right price. I like highsmith. But i also know rotations help a ton. And we even seen what just happened to jj.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the Steelers would take Bud back if the contract situation was right. He would provide depth. Teams can never have enough depth and pass rushers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am lost.

Is this about JJ retiring at 33 years old?

Or, a washed up JJ leaving Houston and signing a 2-year $28 million contract with $23 million guaranteed?

So, what did we learn... Not every player can play till they are 40, or never overpay for a 30 something player coming off injury until you have seen them on the field again.

I would rather spend the money on the young Edmunds brother instead of JJ.

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Bud didn't play up too his contract with the Titans.
    Certainly, 'if the price was right' I'd be on board with bringing him back.
    But I doubt that price point will be right.

Aaron Curry is a decent hire.
    I think he is a bit of a step down though.
    More of the worker bee type coaches.
    So our LB's output will be something to keep an eye on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Only at the right price, the best player is the available player. Bud has not been to available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative. He had one year where he was dominate. One. I feel due to Watt being on the other side. He is off injured and did little besides being in the cold tub in Titan land.

Plus he is under contract with them until 2026. They gave him a 5 year contract :lolol:

They can land an OLBer with the 3rd round pick.

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We got the best out of Bud. Tennessee over paid and he under performed ( got hurt a lot)

Rather spend money a lock Alex up for another 4-5 seasons.

Then try to draft and bring other player along behind Watt and Highsmith.

Problem is anyone your bring in that is a FA won't want to play 2nd fiddle ( or be the rotation guy) . They are gonna want to start.

But its an extreme problem if Watt goes down again. The talent drop off in huge and I don't care who you have a back up, they aren't TJ Watt.

• Like Like x 1
  23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    There are 7,106 languages/dialect on Earth. In each of them, I say NO!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This comment is dumbler

When Ingram was here his snaps were almost identical to Watt and Highsmith because of the rotation

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was going to write that, but figured a waste of time.....since I've said it so many times before, and yet people still say this. So apparently they either don't read what I write, don't believe Me, and , or just like saying it.:shrug:

• Like Like x 2