1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers load up on offense or defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 13, 2023.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    time of possession (not being able to get into rhythm) may have had a large part in that and playing on a bum ankle...

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Couldn't have done anything if they didn't win the sb.

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I agree.
    Spillane is my version of Matt Millen.
    They definitely need to keep him. He makes up lack of athleticism with smarts.
    Bush failed me. I had hopes he would turn it around, he did not.
    Jack is a hard worker. I am more promoting bringing in a guy that pushes him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/s...arge-and-scary-humans-to-ol-according-to-pff/

sure would like an O-lineman in this draft at some point but if they can, i wouldn't mind seeing trent scott brought back because we are lacking any backup at tackle on the team right now. we have a couple of guards in dunkle and green and a center in mccollum. two are usually needed. so much is going to depend on free agency and what we do. are witherspoon and jackson in the plans at corner? even if we bring back sutton do we keep one of them? jackson saves 12 mil. witherspoon 4 mil. we have quite a few futures picks at this position for money savings if the get rid of both. how much they rely on those types of picks this year will be telling. it depends on the money spent on sutton.

ILB, safety, corner, swing tackle look like the picks we should be looking at in the first 4. the last two will probably be the d-line players for depth or one DL and one TE.

jonathon marshall is another depth d-lineman with wren we have here. they are 6th rounder and 4th round drafted players when they were drafted. they go with cam, adams, leal, loudermilk.

we have tons of wr options for the depth spots. miller, white, austin being the top ones. gunner of course would save 2 mil. but he is also a return man.

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Trenches

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of those low snaps are because they couldn't play from injuries.
    If You lose a guy they must be replaced. It doesn't matter how good they are. That's what I'm getting at. Again We have a chance at losing.....Edmunds, Sutton, Bush, Alualu, Wormley, , and Jack. I know I'm forgetting someone. That's a lot of people off of one D. While We aren't scheduled to lose anyone on Offense this year. That's all I'm getting at.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    heavy D

but they won't . they will be drawn to some sexy skill position player, fall for the that instead of building in the trenches, where we are soft, and have been for too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Trent scott, gentry, hassenauer, Jesse davis, snell, simms. No backup tackle. Our backup guard/center. Blocking TE. 3rd WR. We already got rid of claypool. Our 3rd RB. Sure not starters until we have an injury. There is not a backup tackle on the team at this point. Kendrick green is our interior backup. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    New GM and assistant GM could lead to different draft strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I like trench coats :huh:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It depends on what's available. For example I want Oline in the 1st, but as there is no impact OL I care about really I'm liking the best available player. I'm liking this CB class a lot and like what they might available at #1 but also realize they might be able to pick up a quality CB later.

There are a lot of holes on this team right now with MLB being a glaring need still imo so that has to be addressed

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ok columbine

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Defense. They have the next Joe burrow at qb so no need to worry about offensive personnel.

14. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    JPJ at 17 and Jack Campbell at 32 would be a solid start.

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i am hopeful!

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Both

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    For some crazy reason I thought the Eagles were built around their defense last year. I was for sure that San Francisco was winning because of their defense too.
    Wrong and Wrong again.

And how did Detroit finish in the Top 5 for points?
    upload_2023-3-14_15-0-32.png

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What You keep skipping on KC is they drafted D heavy last year, and they brought in as many D players in FA, as they did O players.

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we NOW can discuss who and what to draft - it is always premature to do this before FA is over. in our case, I think we are done. Now - who do we draft with the first 3 picks?

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Unless a can't miss offensive player falls into our laps, then I say at least 3 of our first 4 picks should be on defense...... With a focus on CB, ILB and NT

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the did not need to keep him, nor as we now know in hindsight, did they keep him. he was a lunch pail guy, I liked him. But we need better talent at ILB. Bush was a colossal failure

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes
    yes
    yes

make this D great again!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The playing field in Free Agency changes by the moment.
    The 'swap' of Spillane for Holcomb is an upgrade that negates any value Spillane was bringing. (I am/was more of the thinking Spillane is a good rotation guy like Millen was in the past, bring him in a 1st and 2nd sub packages or obvious run scenarios.
    Holcomb every play guy which is superior.

Bush flat out failed me. I don't know about 'colossal failure' as that is a little dramatic, there have been far worse.
    But yeah, he is a fail. I cannot argue that. It is shame too. (reminds me of LaVar Arrington who came into camp and was showing fantastic athleticism... come game day, he was just average. He did end Troy Aikman's career and I like him for that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Pick 17: ???

Sorry my man!! Wish I could tell ya but there are so many different directions the Steelers can go with this one. Being within the Top 20 picks is both a blessing and a curse; blessing as one can get a Day One Impact Starter but curse because that player can be one of a number of positional based needs!! That said, my sig is often a dead giveaway but there are so many Pro Days remaining to figure out who the Steelers will go with.

Pick 32: ILB or Darnell Washington

No Pat Freiermuth failsafe really has me going here a bit. I would love nothing but to draft Jack Campbell here but I will not be shocked if he propels himself into late First Round consideration come opening Draft Night. Same goes for Trenton Simpson. If that is the case, Darnell Washington is the Tight End who's frame and potential can pair up well with not just Freiermuth but the entire Offense; more weapons for Kenny as a bonus. If either Campbell or Simpson are there, pick either or.

Pick 50: John Michael Schmitz or Keeanu Benton:

Powering up the Trenches here. Either or works imo. Reminder to all that Mason Cole has a potential out in his 2023 Contract per Sportrac. Ricky Stromberg from Arkansas could also work here as well but Schmitz is the superior technician and fundamentalist of the position. If he is not available, Keenau Benton can still provide some youth and extra muscle up front for the aging Defensive Line.

• Like Like x 1