1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Eli that 2nd run still holds the record for the most passing yards in a single postseason .

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hurts doesn't have to match Mahomes. That's the part you don't understand. The Eagles have the superior running game. They have the superior defense, including the league's best pass rush. You still don't seem to get that his isn't one-on-one.

I'm aware that you have had a low opinion of Pickett all along. I'm also aware that you don't actually understand what goes into making an outstanding quarterback, so I have little respect for your opinion on the matter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    There haven't been many blowout Super Bowls. Bears vs. Patriots, Broncos vs. Redskins and 49ers vs. Chargers are ones I can remember.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One game can demonstrate how something is possible. We see games all the time in which the team with the lesser quarterback wins. I gave you one example from this season involving the Steelers.

I never said the Steelers are winning a Super Bowl that way, though it's not impossible. Pickett is going to have to get better for them to be real contenders.

Evaluating an entire team, or even a defensive unit, based on one game is foolish. This is especially true when you don't even realize that the unit in question was missing some key guys.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Only if you don’t want to look like a moron

• Like Like x 2
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He also has a narrative that he is committed to and he won't be backing down anytime soon regardless of how idiotic he sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t have time to research this now but I don’t think there has been any teams that have won the SB once those monster QB contracts kick in. You simply can’t fill out a roster with enough talent to win a SB with a QB eating up that much of the cap.

I think outside of Mahomes your premise probably falls flat. Mahomes is transcendent, he could do it.

But I didn’t look it up so I may be mistaken on how many teams have won after big contracts are handed out to QB’s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pickett vs. Purdy

Jury still out, give me another year of viewing

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It could have been Pickett and Purdy. Every team in the NFL passed on Purdy many times, including the 49ers. They didn't know he could do what he did as a rookie, either.

The shame is that the Steelers wasted their seventh-round pick on a quarterback and never even let him on the field in preseason when they could have used it on Purdy.

Ultimately, I think Pickett will be better, but they certainly would have been better off with both.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I guess we are saying then that TB12 did not have monster contracts?

as a % of that years salary cap, he was always Top 5 or so (I think - I know we always say he took less - and he did, but he made tens of millions....) , so I would call that monster.....and they kept winning with him. He was transcendent.

Manning in 2016. Top paid QB.

more than not, big price paid QB's are the ones winning.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Read much???:shrug:
    I said Unanimously...., but instead of actually reading....You instantly got butt hurt....., and just like that....is the same reason He got Unanimous MVP. LoL.:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See. Now read back what You just wrote....use some intelligence, and see How that backs what I said. A reporter didn't want to give it to a Guy that crushed every single record, but they Unanimously wanted to give it to a Guy that had 13 less td, and less yards rushing, and passing added together...than Manning had just passing. Yeah....LoL .

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Seahawks/Denver

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mahomes signed a very team friendly deal also.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not true. You should look again. P. Manning was when He went to a already made team....like Stafford, and like the Rams are, and will be still paying for it.
    Brady has been about middle of the pact in most years of Qb cap hit.....except for His very 1st pay day...., and when He left, and went to Tampa. @Blast Furnace was talking about on original team I believe, and He is correct.
    I have left a Qbs ,SBs, and their cap Hit on Here before when this has been brought up, and what Blast said in mainly true. I will not dig it all up again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i understand.
    but Manning was making Top $$, yes - he went to a loaded team, kind of like Brady did with Tampa

I did not know TB12 stayed middle of the pack over the years, was thinking he was still top 5 all those years. I was mistaken, then.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brady also did some things with his contract that other QBs don’t do in order for the Pats to sign players.

And yes, STD is right, I was talking about with their original team so Manning with Denver doesn’t fit what I am talking about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's cool. I wasn't arguing....I was just conversing about it. :thumbs_up:

19. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well, 8-8 seems to be the acceptable standard for the STEELERS so a 9-win season is a plus.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Remember those SB's the Bills loss? One was close, the other ones the Cowgirls smoked them in two of them. Can't remember the other one but I think it was a boring game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They lost to the Redskins by 13 in the other one. The only one that was close was their first appearance, the one-point loss to the Giants.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Be careful agreeing with Huey

That's a stink you can’t wash off

Kind of like SNOT

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Forgot about that one. I quit watching after 1st half. I was glad Seahawks won.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2023-2-3_9-55-50.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why couldn't #7 done this for his last 6 years?