1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He didn't get paid this yr so he sat out. Not buying he was too hurt to play. Last yr he was actually injured.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He said he'd do more than lamar. Lamar in year 2 with no wr currently better than George Pickens or diontae Johnson, a OC that got killed by your beloved Kurt Warner (who's analysis you've brought up numerous times as so great) for having elementary level pass concepts, and he despite that won the mvp unanimously, led the NFL in passing tds, and was in the 2nd round of the playoffs.. Pickett if he like the guy said would do better then lamar, should exceed what lamar did in his 2nd yr.

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    This is not 2005. You're not winning anymore playing ball control and defense in this Era of nfl with the rule changes that heavily favor the offenses and with how dynamic these current qbs are. Those days are long gone.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    His peers are stupid. Yeah greatest Qb has 3 winning seasons out of 11. LoL. As far as unanimous MVP....they felt sorry for Lamar Jackson because so many people said He shouldn't even be a Qb...come on Manning had 56 tds (thats 13 more tds than Lamar had rushing, and passing)in a single season, more yards than if You add Lamar Jackson rushing, and passing yards, and didn't get unanimous. LoL. Wake up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ooh… definitely MVP worthy!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Does it hurt your back to keep moving the goalposts like that?

I guess you also missed the season opener, an example of the Steelers beating the Bengals without great quarterback play. You really make this too easy.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You got caught being full of **** again, so now you didn't actually mean what you posted.

I and most other posters here are more than capable of making inferences from well-constructed prose. The problem here is you are incapable of writing well-constructed prose. Hell, I think I might be responding to more than one person using one account. Your writing is never particularly good, but the word choice, grammar, spelling, and capitalization vary so widely that I doubt it all comes from the same writer. Maybe you are just using Grammarly or ChatGPT for some of your posts, which would be funny.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    When did I say greatest? Manning didn't get unanimous only because the NE reporter wanted brady to be the only guy unanimous at the time.

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Make up your mind. You just spoke how one sentence of the cowboys scoring 40 onnthe eagles doesn't dictate how they pay defense overall but you want to point to one game against the bengals who completely struggled early on as to evidence the recipe to beat all the top qbs in the afc lol?

10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

The voted Lamar MVP in ‘19 because the felt sorry for him?? You are insane. The guy led the league with 36 passing TDs and only 6 picks. He also ran for 1200 yds. He was 13-2 as a starter. Name me a better MVP candidate that year.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    John Sullivan. The last of the Bare Knuckled Fighters.

“My name’s John L. Sullivan and I can lick any sonofab!tch alive!”
    upload_2023-2-1_20-45-4.png

https://www.skillsetmag.com/john-l-sullivan-the-last-bareknuckle-world-champ/

• Like Like x 3
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Go back to this post find the edit button and fix this

And don’t try to blame it on autocorrect or spellcheck

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One game doesn't tell us everything about a defense. You falsely implied that the Eagles defense wasn't that good based on one game, ignoring the rest of the data.

You then argued that the Steelers can't beat the elite teams without their quarterback matching the other team's quarterback pass for pass. I easily gave you an example of a game in which they did exactly that this season.

I'm sorry you are so bad at this that you don't understand the difference in those two points.

Your argument that the quarterback has to match them pass-for-pass really is that bad. It isn't one-on-one. They have strengths elsewhere. Guys like Watt and Fitzpatrick can be equalizers. Having a stronger running game can do that, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    San Fran has done pretty well with ball control and great defense. If they had even a 2nd string QB in their final game they are potentially in the Super Bowl. Hell they made the Super Bowl with Jimmy G who is an average NFL QB at best. But they have a great running game, great defense and really good TE. The receivers are middling at best.
    A low paid QB means more money can be spent on the rest of the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Eagles won the NFC Championship game with 121 yards passing by their quarterback, who really didn't throw the ball well at all. They did it with defense and the running game. Yes, there are games that a quarterback has to step up and win it for you, but the Steelers had that in 2005, too.

You are going on the false assumption that what Pickett was in 2022 is all that he will be. You are so all over the place that you don't even remember the arguments you made, such as the time you posted the J.T. O'Sullivan video.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bullsh!t. Defenses have won every recent Super Bowl. Stafford, Brady and Mahomes did not annihilate their opponents, like 1994 49ers, Young and Rice did to the Chargers. Rams, Bucs and Chiefs defenses won the damn game for all 3 teams.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The final score of Super Bowl LIII, which was played in 2019, was 13-3, but you can't win with defense any more!

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because they played against a qb that could do virtually nothing against them. So they didn't need to pass the ball alway down the field to win the game. Did I not clearly list specifically the guys in the afc who doing that against likely isn't going to work? That's where Pickett is. Not the NFC.

Thats something I've seen people mentioning about the eagle. They played Daniel Jones and pretty much Josh Johnson to get to the sb. Easy path. You're not getting that path in the afc and it's why despite the eagles having a better team I'm really skeptical if they can beat the chiefs cause idk if hurts is capable of matching mahomes.

And once again it's not what he was in 2022. I was saying this before Pickett EVER PLAYED A DOWN. I've never believed in him as anything more than average before he played.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe I'm reading the post wrong but it seems you and Heinz both agree that defense won SB's and are still fighting about it????????????????????

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The bucs sb is the only 1 where you can say that but we know it was primarily because the chiefs had a terrible oline and mahomes at that particular time didn't utilize the shrot passing game like he does now. He would only try to get the home run when now he's methodically taking check downs or throwing to whoever is open.

The sb being a blowout does not dictate a defense winning a game plus its not just winning a sb. You have to play multiple games to get there. You're not beating all 2-3 of those guys in a row in the afc by every single game playing ball control and defense. The rams could not run the ball last yr. The chiefs in their sb win was not a running team. They were all throwing teams lol. Lol in the chiefs run when they won the sb, mahomes up until the sb was leading the team in rushing...

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    NYG beating Brady was all about defense and one lucky catch of a pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    There is no difference. One game shouldn't define any situation if it the outcome of it can define the totality of an assessment of every situation you try subermize from one game.

Also I didn't say the eagles sucked because of one game. I said there defense can be had when you kept saying oh well look who johnson was playing against as if we don't have evidence of someone being able to put up points on that defense just like you think 1 game is evidence that the steelers are winning the sb the same way they won a week 1 game of the regular season against the bengals lol.

And they cannot in the playoffs. There is no way for 2 or 3 straight games, burrow, Allen, mahomes, Lawrence, etc.. are just going to be held down and beat by a running game.

23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    In the end it hurt them. Thats why they lost to the chiefs in the sb that yr. Jimmy G had to pass to win them the game and could not make the throws needed. And their wrs are not middling. Deebo is top 10 and aiyuk is very good.

I still don't know even with Purdy that they win last week. I think Hurts and the eagles are just better.

I'll take the high paid qb everytime. Look at mahomes. Average talent around him outside kelce and Chris Jones tbh. They have a bunch of rookies and average Joe's and still in the sb. Let's see how burrow looks next yr with probably just chase. I think he'll still be fine and have them in the mix. Allen pretty much just has Diggs. Lawrence has decent guys around him. You ask any team and their taking having thay great qb with a decent roster over a great roster with a low budget qb.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't have to do anything.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018