1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2023 Quarterback Room

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 30, 2023.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Everyone Knows This….. Pickett will be the 2023 Starter if healthy. Mitch is signed for one more year,2023, with a 10.26 cap hit. Mason is an URFA.

Me, being the greatest GM in my own mind, thinks moving forward we should ……

1- Trade Mitch, he has some value there and probably no longer wanted to be here. We would save 8million on the cap AND could possibly get a 3rd rd pick. At the least a 4th just because of the Huge demand for QBs by teams that have quality rosters needing a QB. We could use an extra pick AND can certainly use the cap savings.

2-Re-Sign Mason to a backup deal. At this point in his career HE Knows he will be a back-up and he knows this offense And he has actually played better than Mitch Anyways.

3-Draft Stetson Bennet in the 7th rd. He’s probably going undrafted. Last year we spent a 7th rd pick on a QB who had zero chance to make the roster. Stetson has the football maturity and big time game experience that shows the NFL big lights won’t be too bright for him. He is limited for sure but honestly if he’s asked to play we’re in trouble and if he can play better than Josh Johnson we may have a chance.

What say you Steeler Nation?

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I would be looking to unload both Tribuskey (cap casualty) and Mason and
    get a back up at a more affordable price than 10 million and like you said draft a Stetson bennet/Matt Duggan type in 7th.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't think Mitch has any trade value. Teams know what Trubisky is at this point. I think it is very likely that Mitch returns as QB2 this year. He is going to be a backup wherever he goes, so I think he sticks around another year.

I think Rudolph moves on. He is good enough to be a backup somewhere. I think he is ready to move on from Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    San Francisco needs a 5th string QB

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Mason has no intention of staying with us.... He will test the market with a team that will provide more than just a token competition

Mitch will not have a market due to his cap hit, so we've got him for one more year....

We'll grab a 7th rd QB or UDFA to round out the rotation

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Whether Mitch has trade value depends on how teams view him. PFF gives him a very solid rating, better than many established starters. I think that’s pretty rosy. He should not be here in 2023 because a) he isn’t ready to accept that he’s a backup, and b) he costs too much to be a backup. I have a hard time seeing us getting trade value, but you never know. We fleeced the Raiders on WRs before.

2. I think Rudolph can be an average backup, but is he truly ready to accept that he’s a backup QB in the NFL?

3. I would prefer a vet backup who can be trusted to carry the load for several weeks if needed. A Dalton or Brissett would be high-end vet backup options.

4. For 3rd string, I’m not sure that I’d want a rookie, but we may need to go that route for dollars. I think Bennett may go earlier than the 7th.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Or restructure

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I expect that we’ll release Mitch. I know that AR said otherwise, but the cap dollars will speak pretty loudly when it’s time to add/retain other players. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Only 1 year remaining on his contract.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    While this is the most likely events to happen, this isn’t a prediction thread but instead a thread about what should happen. I would rather have Mason and a lower cap hit BUT because Mitch is more mobile the Steelers would prefer him.

We’re losing Mitch after 2023 anyways, might as well get some value for him now. And I disagree about his perceived value, he isn’t a bum, and Canada’s offense can be used to explain his poor play.

The greatest determination of value is supply/demand……. That alone overvalues QBs in the NFL. Look no further than Mayfield or Wentz.

Cajun

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Trubisky will be on the roster in '23. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Rudolph is done as a Steelers QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mitch doesn't hurt a bit to release, and he opens about $8mil of space.
    If one could wrangle a trade, I would take it.
    But that opens up a new box of worms.
    They need a vet and Mason is not in the plans.

I think they will either draft a QB late rounds, or sign an undrafted FA QB, or something along those lines to fill a spot at #3. (I think I heard they want to go to camp again with 4 but mostly to qualify #2 and #3.)
    and either Mitch stays as #2
    Or they sign some vet backup.

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    People need to get over the fantasy that Steelers are gonna pick up an OC.

Matt Canada is the OC for 2023. Learn it. Live it. Accept it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    To think Trubisky is a LOCK for the Steelers 2023 season is Delusional. To say All options are off the table is delusional. The only lock is Pickett, period.

Is Mitch a Steelers in 23’, probably
    Is Mason finished here, probably

But this isn’t the way I’d move forward with the QB room.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Wake UP!!!! You’re in the Wrong Room!!!

Cajun

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    We have new Leadership and I truly believe If they’re examining Mitch’s Contract as a potential means of managing the Cap, which they will do, ( Keep or let go ) , I can’t see them just releasing him with no compensation. They’ll trade him or keep him and hope for a comp pick in 24’.

Cajun

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you basing this on? What Art said? Keeping Trubisky makes zero sense when they can free up 8 million by cutting him loose.

There is nothing delusional about thinking Mitch won’t be on the team next year. Weird take, dude.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You can turn it into multi year at a lower cost

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    There are $8 million reasons to release Mitch. A vet last year like Andy Dalton costs $3 million. Net Savings $5 million. You could keep him on the roster through camp and then release/trade him before the Season starts and you still save $8 million

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dobbs back in camp again at the league minimum this year. I have not seen where Dobbs signed with the Titans yet. I read that he wants to go back to the Titans, but I assume he wants to go anywhere that he will get to stay on the roster and not have to go back down to a team's $8,000 a week practice squad. No way does Mason return.

I was not impressed by Mitch's ability to come off the bench last year. In the one game he did, he threw 3 ints. The next week when he had the entire week to prepare to play he looked a lot better. A former starting QB does not always make a good backup.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Unless someone whose last name isn't Rooney runs this team now I don't foresee Bennet being on their board after this past weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Now that Kellen Moore is unemployed, do you think the FO will change their minds?

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow...must be nice to be Trubisky....it's never His fault....all the way back to Chicago, and Now here...I still read by some....He good its the OCs fault. LoL.

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Never mind. Chargers snapped him up

• Like Like x 1
  25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Definitely a bonehead thing he did, but not sure it was bad enough to keep him from considered. Maybe an undrafted FA now……

Cajun