1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    You don’t even have to reference the worst franchises in the league to make the point. Comparing the Steelers to the other top franchises in the league makes the point also. The 9ers and Cowboys are both right under the Steelers with 5 SBs each, but neither team has won 1 in almost 30 years.

A lot of these so-called fans don’t understand the NFL or the game in general

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You could always build your team like the Rams did last year. How'd that work out for them this season?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    they won the Super Bowl last year. If stafford didn’t go down they’d be in the mix again this year

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Stafford is good, but not THAT good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The way I read it, the Rams were 3-6 when Stafford was put on IR. How is that "in the mix"?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    They would have gone 6-2 to end the season, and their fans would claim Stafford was GOAT. ;)

7. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    ok say they had a down season, they still were aggressive and won a Super Bowl in 22. They accomplished the ultimate goal. Anyway I said I’d like to see the Steelers be more aggressive - specifically regarding the coaching staff.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'd say they had a down season... What the Rams reminded me of what baseball has been doing. Buying a championship.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Did Von Miller not assist during the LA Rams Super Bowl run?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    every NFL team spends big money on coaches, staff, and players: every team is spending money to win. Rams were just more aggressive, there’s no other difference.

11. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    he did. As did cooper kup

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure what the evidence is for no "sense of urgency". In the past few years, the Steelers have invested far more in FA than previously, and traded up in the first round. The issue is, neither have worked out particularly well. Eric Ebron was a great signing, except he got hurt. Mark Barron was a solid investment, except he was awful. Bush made sense to go and get, but his career hasn't panned out.

You're mistaking results for intentions.

(We've also been to 3 superbowls under ARII... presumably by accident?)

What I would say is that under ARII the Steelers took too long to move from 'grow through the draft' to a more balanced approach to FA - especially when we clearly weren't able to pick up the 3-4 defensive players in the draft as easily as we could do in the late 90s - and kept Ben around two seasons too long. Those have impacted our personnel

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    They’re retaining Canada after spending most of the season at the bottom in total offense, (they ended up bottom eight). They have the smallest, cheapest coaching staff in the league. It wouldn’t be so bad if they had solid personnel but it doesn’t look like they do: Canada, Austin, Danny Smith? This tells me they’re not doing everything they can to get better. Retaining Canada just doesn’t look good

As far as the players they’ve had their share of misses, maybe more than most lately in key spots and that points to scouting and the coordinators - and small size of the staff.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't want a SB so bad I have a bunch of miserable seasons after. I mean half the people complain if We go 12-4. How do You think they would feel if We went 3, or 4 years with only 4, or 5 wins.
    I'm old enough I remember Winning Quite a few SBs, and We didn't have to suck year after year to do it.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes the difference is .....they mortgaged away their future. They haven't even begun to start losing the players they have, and already they suck. F**k that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Steelers had to reinvent themselves. It was like religion here to play brutal hard hitting ball, decade after decade.

Rules changed the franchise identity. Wouldn’t say it’s low standards really. Just doesn’t feel like that same fear we put to opponents here. Trying to adapt to the soft game. We tried to do it with the killer bees. Times change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Cooper Kupp may have had the greatest Season for any WR but Von Miller is arguably the greatest clutch level pass rusher. Each time he has appeared in the playoffs, he has been a major contribution towards his team's winning big games. The 2021 Los Angeles Rams is just one team.

The 2015 Broncos?! That is another can of worms all together. Buffalo losing him early against the Bengals did not assist the Bills anemic Pass Rush. Now, Buffalo now officially has other problems (some have been ongoing for seasons) but not having that dude at the EDGE has been a major problem since the retirement of Bruce Smith.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Me and @S.T.D talked about this during this off season in great detail. Teams that truly believe that the whole "eff them picks" mentality is capable of instant success are going to have their asses lit on fire. Denver is the current whipping boy and rightfully so.

.... however, Cleveland is another powder keg set to explode; Myles Garrett being the sacrificial lamb should things go south again in 2023. Some could argue Green Bay as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Baseball teams purchase FA with no cap and the Rams made trades and gave up serious draft capital. I’m not seeing the connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    I agree, I didn’t bring up the rams, someone else did. I just said at least they won a Super Bowl. All I was saying was the Steelers needed to be more aggressive - in regard to assembling a better coaching staff. I prefer the Steelers being competitive for as many seasons as possible. Overall they’re doing ok getting players. It’s just the coaching staff decisions I think they’re lacking in

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    they can always reload or rebuild by acquiring picks if they have assets other teams want.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Problem is.... the other teams are not going to give picks for players they know Rams can't afford to keep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Rams OL was trash this year, Stafford was getting hit a lot, even if he stayed healthy they weren't going to be good this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think they will be a threat for awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Mark Kaboly
    @MarkKaboly

Art Rooney said the main reason why they kept Matt Canada was the team improved over the second half of the year and didn't want to start all over again with a new OC

…….what else needs to be said

no urgency

• Agree Agree x 1