1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My 2022 draft regrades

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 25, 2023.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/my-steelers-draft-analysis.28549/

A lot of us had varying feelings about this draft class.... I had some very strong thoughts myself, and graded them accordingly...... With the season over, I've had a chance to reflect on my original grades and opinions and give my hindsight analysis (the above link is my original analysis)

1. Kenny Pickett ---- grew into the position once given the chance and appears to have the it factor
    Original grade: B+
    New grade: A-

2. George Pickens ---- while I was was happy with the pick, I actually wanted someone else...now I can't see us without him
    Original grade: B+
    New grade:. A-

3. Demarvin Leal ----. Found his way into the rotation and was not out of place... did not make his presence felt but still flashed enough to be hopeful for his development
    Original grade: A
    New grade: C+

4. Calvin Austin ---- I was extremely down on this pick as it seemed like another gimmick little guy.... Injured in camp and redshirted his rookie season..... Until he is healthy and shows and proves, I have to stick with my original assessment until proven wrong
    Original grade: D+

5. Connor Heyward --- this is where I grab a hefty plate of crow... I put this one down as the front office sibling fetish... Never have I been more wrong about a player..
    This kid balled out something fierce!!! If there was a redraft, this kid goes mid 2nd or early 3rd
    Original grade: D-
    New grade: A+

6. Mark Robinson ---. Another plate of crow here... Growing well into the position and put Devin Bush on the bench
    I look forward to his continued development ... In a redraft, he goes no later than 4th
    Original grade: D
    New grade:. B-

7. Chris Oladokun ---- total wasted pick that wasn't even given a remote chance to compete......
    Original grade: F-
    New grade: same

• Like Like x 4
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I really don't do draft grades cause I hardly follow college football. My Saturdays are too busy to pay any attention.

I do watch most of the draft though and here are some of my overall reactions.

1. KP. Was really excited when they picked him but also had my concerns. I don't think he would have made it back to us in the 2nd round so I'm glad they got him. Very impressed so far with his development. Hopefully he continues to shine.

2. GP. What an exciting dynamic player. Extremely happy with this pick so far and the sky's the limit with that kind of talent.

3. Demarvin Leal. Knew very little about him and thought they probably reached. Not overly impressed yet but he's a rookie so I'll hold off judgement for now.

4. Calvin Austin. Didn't like the pick to begin with and still don't. Really needed to beef up the trenches in that round and I'm sure there were more viable players to choose from. Hope he proves me wrong but I have my doubts.

5. Connor Heyward. Thought it was a reach but wow. Look out. He's gonna play just as hard as his family pedigree demands of themselves. Need to see him used a lot more. Really impressed so far with his toughness.

6. Mark Robinson. Goodbye Devin Bush. Pack that ugly draft suit of yours and don't let the door hit you too hard. I'm sure you won't because you will avoid all contact. When given a chance Robinson definitely outplayed you. Happy with this 6th round pick.

7. Chris Oladokun. Hated the pick then. Hate it even more now. What a wasted pick. Look what Purdy is doing. Ugh..... :frustrated:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why Leal gets such a large drop in grade. He missed 6 games and when he did play I thought he handled himself well. Certainly didnt see anything that makes me think he can’t play the position.

I said this in another thread when someone put this draft down, thought they were crazy, I think they hit a HR. If Austin turns out to be good, will be one of their best drafts. I don’t care that Oladokun was a miss, Steelers seem to treat their 7th rd pick as a throw away, I blame that more than the player.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can't really find fault with your grades, except Leal..as Blast pointed out he missed time and by the end of the year his presence was noticed. Its rare for a steeler rookie..especially on D to get a lot of time, the Austin thing reminds me of so many of these type of picks in the past, and sadly I rarely recall them working out. Its just a wait and see, no doubt his speed and talent are note worthy, now we will see if he can get on..let alone stay on the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well done, and interesting. :thumbs_up:

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good stuff bgp. I’m right there with you eating crow on Heyward. I was even so foolish to say if his name had been Connor Smith instead of Connor Heyward he’d have never made the team. Boy, was I wrong and, boy, am I glad. Kid’s a baller!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pickens, Leal and Heyward didn't surprise me (Leal's effort woes were quickly snuffed during preseason action). Kenny thought was my biggest question mark. Still is but not nearly as much as I was concerned about. CA3 I was and still am excited for.

Kenny has shown legit Franchise QB traits. I just don't know how high his ceiling is. Some say "well look at Joe Burrow" but the biggest reason why Burrow's potential was so much greater coming was due to the fact that Burrow only had one starting season; one for the NCAA Ages in addition towards landing him as the Number One Overall pick. Pickett had four years starting but five seasons worth of accumulated game experience. That is an awfully long time and the ceiling concerns were warranted... were mind you.. not are.

Some people claim that this is similar to Dak Prescott... except one thing. Prescott had one hell of a roster throughout the entire season. Pickett didn't have half of what Dak had back in 2016. Furthermore, Pickett put the team on his back during the final four weeks of his Rookie Campaign. From 2016 to 2019?!?!... the Cowboys ran through Zeke. Not anymore.

Kenny has... really... all the intangibles and much of the tangibles one would want for a Franchise QB. The question now becomes how much more is there to unlock for him to grow?! I do now believe that there is more than others give him credit for but how great remains to be seen. I can say this though; I am more than happy to admit I was wrong about Kenny... horribly, horribly wrong.

.... and I could not be happier about the fact.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Stop.

32 NFL teams passed on him through 7 rounds, even the 49ers passed on him with their first 3 picks in rounds 6 and 7 (they had 4). Let's not act like ANYONE in the league thought anything of him, not even the 49ers at the time. He was their very distant 3rd string going into the season. If they thought he was going to be as good as he is they would have traded Jimmy G before the season.

9. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Actually I just hated the pick of a 4th QB. Too many other needs on this team at the time. Purdy is just an anomaly though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Burrow did not have only one starting season. That is one of the reasons for the Pickett comparisons. Burrow started for two years at LSU. He just wasn't anything special in 2018, then became unstoppable in 2019. Pickett had more college seasons of not being very good, but both had that sudden surge from mediocre to elite.

11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I'm a Pickett fan and all but I would hardly call him elite, at this point in his career anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't understand people thinking Leal was a reach. I understand the concerns about him. I didn't like the pick, either, because he didn't seem like a great fit, but I didn't think he was a reach.

I also don't understand anybody who thought Austin was a gimmick or compared him to Dri Archer. Archer was a ridiculously undersized running back, a bust they should have seen coming. Austin was a wide receiver in college, an explosive player who could run a complete route tree. They weren't projecting a major position change with him.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Neither would I. You misread my post. I wasn't talking about what he is as a pro. I was talking about his and Burrow's college careers.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I had not been happy with KC's drafts in recent years but he gave us a good one - and possibly great one - on his way out. Some exciting kids on that list and still believe Austin could have a big impact. Mark Robinson is 5'11" so I remain skeptical there but for a 6th he's good to have around.