1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin not among the finalist for COY

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The start of the season can’t be ignored. Great job keeping the team together and finishing strong but the start killed any chance.

• Like Like x 3
  2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'd go Shanahan

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Problem I have with him winning is he has an incredibly talented roster. Doing more with less is a higher achievement, IMO. Shanahan no doubt is a fantastic coach though.

Pederson took over a **** show and resurrected Lawrences career.

Daboll had no WR’s and Jones as his QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Those are all good finalists except for McDermott. Zac Taylor should be there instead.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its based on regular season and you have to respect what Pederson did with the Jags. Yes a weak division, but that was a hot mess. Shanahan has built a team that excels in every department, Sirianni did an amazing job.

I think of those 3 I would go with Pederson simply because of the turn around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree with pederson

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I commented under another thread that Tomlin wouldn't get one vote...not because I'm not a Tomlin supporter, but because he didn't do an overachieving coaching job. The thing that hurt him the most was the team's struggles early in the season as Blast already stated, but more specifically not being able to win with TJ Watt being out of the lineup. They couldn't score one close win in winnable games with him out and that most definitely has to be addressed and this is one of the reasons why Highsmith (as good as he is) didn't make the Pro Bowl (besides it being a popularity contest) and why his contract will be really iffy when it comes back around to renew.

8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I also think Zac Taylor should be there and dropping the Eagles coach.

McDermont is one heck of a good coach, but he has to elevate to the next level and that is the Super Bowl.
    They fell flat at home... a team they can beat. That will take him out of the running.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mostly agree. Will be Daboll or Pederson.
    But I could see Shanahan getting votes because of the QB situation and that team didn't miss a beat.
    Losing your starting QB kills teams, but not SF, not this year anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Strummerman is devastated lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  11. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Good. Don't want him getting the big head for not having a losing season. :rolleyes:

12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For overall work I would even put Dan Campbell on that list over McDermott. Looking back its amazing Chuck Noll never won COY, and actually should have won in '76.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would go:
    1. Shanahan (amazing with the Lance-Garoppolo drama, then Garoppolo getting hurt and winning with Purdy).
    2. Daboll (had the least talent; the Giants are less talented than the Steelers, in my opinion).
    3. Sirianni (talented team, but Sirianni got the most out of the talent)
    4. Pederson (weak division made Jags playoff team; Tomlin would have went 12-5 in that division).
    5. McDermott (Josh Allen missed Daboll).

When you add in Zac Taylor, Andy Reid, McCarthy, Pete Carroll, Dan Campbell is Tomlin even in the top 10? Sure Reid and Taylor have the QBs, but KCs roster isn't what it has been, mixing and matching at WRs and RBs. Cincy's defense is better than given credit for. McCarthy was without Prescott a number of weeks. Carroll and Campbell have inferior rosters to the Steelers in my opinion.

14. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Has a coach won COTY for a 9-8 record before and no playoffs?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    To be honest, is Tomlin the 3rd best coach in the AFCN?

Taylor is definitely #1 and I'd say Harbaugh is better considering he got his team to the playoffs with Tyler Huntley at QB.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you don’t go to the playoffs you are not worthy of consideration for COTY

17. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    To me the COY always comes down to the same question.
    Which coach did the most with their roster?
    Using that criteria it is a crime that MT is not a finalist. I had people (non Steelers fans) telling me all season that Tomlin is a miracle worker for what he did this season with this roster. I agree.

18. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    By your logic perhaps Kenny Pickett should be OROY too then?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    This team would have made the playoffs had Tomlin not developed a man-crush and Tribusky. Maybe he was all up on him because they have the same initials.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Kind of off topic, but you mentioned it so what the heck lol.. Are you saying MT;s contract or Hignsmith is really iffy? I wont even speculate about MT's, but to suggest Highsmith wont get paid here or someplace else is non-sense. He has a year left and barring him sitting out they will at least try and start discussions, and if he has a year like last year will likely price himself right out of the Steelers market. I'm not suggesting he has the same level as TJ, but to suggest we lost those games because of him is ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes and no. I think he did more in 2020 with less talent and more injuries. Our D was the highest paid, and in some games were embarrassing. Its not only what you did with you roster, its how you prepare them week in and out, some weeks we were not prepared and were outcoached. That starts at the top.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would vote Peterson. No one thought the Jags would be in the playoffs. They played the Chiefs a heckuva lot closer than the Steelers did last year.

I'm glad Tomlin isn't in consideration, because he doesn't deserve to be IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See the Daboll part I disagree....if Tomlin can be held back by His beginning of the season...why can't Daboll be on the last half??? Also K. Toney hasn't looked terrible since He went to KC.
    This is why I always laugh at the ....(Insert someone's Qb they think should be better)...they don't have weapons stuff.
    You honestly believe if You stuck Mahomes on .....let's say Ravens....that their Wrs wouldn't look better all of a sudden???...., or let's say Oakland.....they would instantly be a way better team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What's that tell You. All the SB We have won, and Cowher is the only coach to win it, and not even on a His SB years. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Daboll got them to the playoffs, Tomlin didn’t.

And I disagree, having weapons matters. Of course Mahomes would do more with less. Jones isn’t Mahomes which also works in Dabolls favor.

Toney played like 2 games for the Giants, didn’t want to be there.

• Like Like x 2