1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

offensive line/defensive line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Jan 22, 2023.

1. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Certainly a dominant OL and DL are very important but even then you need to have other at least competent units (LBs, DBs, WRs). We have needs in many areas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

More like this Offseason.

Regardless of this playoff outcome, I would imagine Joe Burrow will get his money. I seriously doubt the Bengals are going to risk placing the fifth year option on Joe when he has shown he is clearly the guy for Cincy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I honestly do not see DeMarvin Leal as an IDL anymore given how much more he was used on the EDGE. Never mind that, assuming Pittsburgh does not go EDGE in the draft (they should but you never know), it can be safe to assume that Leal will be a hybrid Front Seven player; ideally used as an attacking 3 Tech in addition to being on the EDGE. Nabbing a true blue IDL will be key but this draft is very deep there. A drop off though after Breese but Gervon Dexter is interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am trying to understand your expectations for Leal. Are you saying that you think Leal could be the backup to Watt and Highsmith next year? 2 years in a row we have seen the Steelers either trade or bring in some name OLB to hopefully backup the OLB positions, is this going to be the year we fill that position inhouse?

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If the Bengals win the Suyper Bowl it is going to be interesting to see if Burrow tries to get out of his rookie deal next year and force the Bengals to sign a new contract. With the option year Burrow is currently under contract until 2025. When is Burrow going to start wanting his $50 million per year deal?

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they just signed quincey roche back. a good start to bolster the OLB spot's depth. leal gained weight last year to play 3-4 DE. yes maybe once in a blue moon they could rush him from OLB standing up, but he's a DE for us.

yes there are a couple of D-Linemen in this draft but not too many that are difference makers like a cam heyward that i see this year. i wouldn't invest too high early on one. maybe a guy similar to leal and how we worked him into the draft. i'm not quite ready to give up on loudermilk quite yet either. hope he gets back healthy and makes some noise this year. i still would like to see mazi smith. :cool:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He is eligible for a contract extension at the end of this season and he will probably get one

Here is a related read

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/n...lary-5th-year-option-contract-extension-bm10/

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Offensive Line: Actually Played well down the stretch. Moore played in his 2nd year. He was Better this year and remember his Horrific Coaches Last year. Because of coaching the OL is no longer our biggest need, But depth along the line is poor.

Defensive Line. Heyward was cheated out of a ProBowl. He’s the best we have and he has two solid years left. 2-3 serviceable years past that. Leal is positionless in a bad way. Loudermilk is disappointing. Adams is serviceable and Larry O is a UFA. We need a High Draft pick along the line, a middle rd draft pick AND a FA signing that won’t break the bank.

Leal: What to do with him, slim down and move outside or Bulkup and Play along the DL.???

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Alex Kozora explains it better here. Much as I stated though, Leal seems to be more of a Hybrid Front Seven player than he is a true IDL.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

When?! Likely this season. If not him, I would imagine that his agent will make the push. If not this season, 2024 or bust.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Going to throw out a name for the d-line. Ogunjobi will cost a good deal and yes it would be nice to get him back but costing us a ton more money in the D-line. that may not be feasible with having to fill some other roles. Andrew billings is a free agent and could fill a couple of roles on the line. Would work well as an interior lineman in 2 down sets or 3. Would come a good deal cheaper too. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    issiah buggs is a name from the past as well. he had a good year for detroit. he's familiar with us. :cool:

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is a DE. We need a DT in the draft who can disrupt. I can see them using Leal as a hybrid at times but I can't see him as a replacement if either Watt or Highsmith goes down. I like the kids motor.

Adams is a nice swing. Loudermilk needs to improve. Alualu will retire.

They may try to resign Ogunjobi but they can't sign everyone. I'm sure he won't take another one year flyer which was 8 mill.

And Heyward will be 34 when the season starts. Could mentor a stud draft pick for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1