1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

KFP on The Pat McAfee Show

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rel, Jan 20, 2023.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bottom line is if your OC is incompetent at running an NFL offense, and I believe ours is, you're not doing your young quarterback (or any of your young offensive weapons) any favors by keeping him aboard. I just don't think Kenny would have the setback that many are saying had Canada been fired. But that's a moot point because he's the OC for at least another year.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    DB27B1E6-3816-452B-912F-A8956D104536.jpeg

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett showed real growth from his first start to his last under that same OC. Making him learn a new offense with new language would set him back more, IMO.

Let him continue to learn the game at this very important phase of his career and if Canada ****s the bed again, then bring in a new OC.

They can still do things to help the offense without changing everything up on Pickett. Teams do employ passing coordinators.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    By that logic, it makes no sense to ever change OCs cause it will take half a season to learn any new offense. Given that Canada will not be here forever (hopefully), then it's even better to swap Canada's ass immediately before Kenny gets closer to being Brady-like and unable to learn new things.

BTW, when Tomlin became HC, the OC changed from Whiz to Arians... Ben had a great year that first year with a new OC.

• Like Like x 3
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Going from a controlled play calling OC who try to balance run/pass ratio to a guy saying hey Ben just sling it anyway you want, are we really surprised that he had a good year?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    As in cool as an ice cube?

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:This

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct, but what You are not taking into account is how long Ben had played in the NFL by that time....compared to how long KFP has played in the NFL....He hasn't even played one whole year yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    That could be and he really is that calm and composed. He has everything you want in a QB. Just needs to be surrounded by a better offense, perhaps a better OC and working on his footwork. Imagine what he will be like in a few years when he learns to lead defenders with his eye and pump faking.

• Like Like x 3
  10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I am watching with great interest what the Steelers will do. IMO, they MUST bring in somebody to help with the passing game. Canada appears to be clueless when it comes to developing schematics to allow receivers to break open in the MOF and get chunk yards downfield. He's a little better with the running game and that showed the second half of the season. While I was very disappointed that they decided to retain Canada after two consecutive unacceptable seasons, I will be doubly so if they don't bring in a passing game coordinator to help Pickett and our young receivers in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Ya, it should be easier for KFP to "transition" to be a better OC now - KFP only played half a season - it's not like he's set in stone with the current OC.

The longer he stays with a loser OC, the more bad habits he'll develop, and the deeper the hole he'd have to climb out of.

It should be obvious that any QB would benefit from a better OC as soon as possible.

12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Right, so you agree the sooner they change from Canada to a real OC, the better it is for KFP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Steelers are not going to win the SB next year anyways, so they may as well change the OC *NOW* and use next year to prepare for a deep playoff run in 2024.

As it stands today, Steelers will be ~500 next year, barely make the playoffs if lucky, lose in the wild card round. Then they will hire a new OC, and use 2024 as the "transition" year. End up with ~500 in 2024 with a litany of excuses around "new OC, new learning curve, etc". All that did was delay things and give more excuses for Tomlin to keep his job.

Instead, if they had gotten a new OC now, they would still be ~500 next year, barely make the playoffs if lucky, lose in the wild card round. *BUT* in 2024, they'd be all set for a deep playoff run.

Before a hall monitor jumps in, I do realize that the OC is set for 2023. I'm just debating with people who say keeping Canada is the right move.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    OC was never going to get canned with going 7-2 in the end. No more then Tomlins job was in jeopardy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This has no merit.
    You , Me, and nobody else knows for a fact what We will , or won't do next year.
    Be honest. Did You think the eagles would be in the NFC championship game???
    How about the 49ers after they had to start Purdy???
    Hell half the people on this very board said Burrow not only was lucky last year, but the Bengals wouldn't make the playoffs. Hell 79% of (guessestimate...LoL they were the heavy favorites) America thought the Bills were going to the SB, and Allen was winning the MVP.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Agreed that future is uncertain, and *hopefully* all goes great for Steelers next season.

But, the odds of doing better, IMHO, would have improved with a new OC going into next season. And when making decisions for future outcomes, all one can do is improve the odds of success.

Let me compare the OC situation with the QB situation of last season: once everyone realized Trub sucks ass, the sooner they switched to KFP the better it was for KFP even though people argued KFP needs to learn by sitting on his ass his the entire first year.

My assertion is same thing is true with the OC. Half way through next season, the O will continue to suck, but unlike the QB situation, they won't change the OC mid season.

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Something some guy brought up today on Cowherd was pretty telling. He said (I cannot remember his timeline) that no QB who has been paired with a HC for more than 5 years and has not gone to a SB. Again i cant remember the exact verbage, he was specifically talking about Buffalo, so he may have meant New HC coming in and new or current QB. I know Landry and Staubach were together for sometime before going so his metircs may have been more current or specific with a HC and QB pairing, it just hit me how important the early development is for not only the QB, but the team in general. The Bills right now have no cap space and a couple of their key players are FA. The window closes so quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard the same thing on First Things First(which I DVR because it's My favorite sports show...they make Me laugh)....they said No coach ,and Qb that had not won a SB after the 1st 5 years of being together has ever won one. Like You I don't know how far back that goes.:shrug:

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I'm saying. You saw more of receivers being able to turn catches into RAC yards as we went down the stretch, That TD to Pickens if done further out, he's running that in for a score anyway! DJ with his catch and run.

Kenny is able to look at the tape and ask for things in this offense, because he's become familiar. I'm sure that's the main reason Canada is back. They do not want Kenny to have to relearn a new offense and get comfortable with it before he starts excelling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Thing I love about Pickett is he is totally driven, hes first in the building and last to leave, film junkie and focused. Brandt is right, there is no outside distractions with this guy, no social media taking up half his attention. He’s all football.

Joe Burrow jump this season!

(I had to do that last part for our young analyst :hehehe:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :thumbs_up:

23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    :thumbs_up::thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    See I thought KFP originally came from the Tom Brady rant on the sidelines against his teammates where people claimed that he allegedly screamed “I didn’t leave my wife and kids to come here and lose to Kenny F Pickett”!!!

Who can settle this?

Where did coach Saturday come from with Canada?

25. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like Muth a lot, but he kinda has a child bearing female looking lower half.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1