1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Standard are so low for the steelers now?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 18, 2023.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    100% correct!! For the longest time I couldn't wrap my head around why someone (Robert Nutting) would buy a Pro sports team and not care about being the best. On an old Pirate message boards they would ***** and moan about the cheap owner as they got home from a game at PNC.

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well, it appears that some of the fans here are just fine with the entertainment value of the game, that winning is secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that the conservative approach later in the season likely came from Tomlin and that it was the right thing to do. Asking Pickett to carry the offense, which they did in his first few starts, was a terrible approach. As I have mentioned before, the offense needed to take a step back to move forward. Pickett needed the opportunity to play mostly as a game manager first, the same opportunity Roethlisberger had in 2004. That will change. They will open things up and, hopefully, more big plays will follow.

The problem is the play design in the passing game. I don't think Canada does that well enough. I don't think he does enough with design to get receivers open and I'm not sure that part is going to get better as long as he is OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please stop with this foolishness. It isn't true, it is unfair to the posters who disagree with you and it makes you look clueless.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    100% and going into his 3rd season there is no reason to expect that to get much better. Really hoping they bring someone in for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not holding my breath. I'm certainly not in the Chicken Little crowd here, but I am disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No...I'm not saying that. I'm saying...they (Dallas/Dak/McCarthy) are getting praise from the media, and Guys on this board that when We beat the same team(with a rookie Qb/Trubisky/No Watt) the same people where saying.....We/Steelers/Tomlin/Pickett only won because Tampa Sucks, but now somehow it's different. The funny thing is .....most(not all) of the people disagreeing with Me are the ones that said that.
    Make it make sense. That's all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Then ask him why he posted such a dumb tweet

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who say's the standards are low? You? I think
    The Steelers organization has high expectations
    And hopefully they can achieve these expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think that is very reasonable lol. Was thinking of this when I was driving my route today listening to the hype about the playoffs. The Vikings had a 13-4 record with more points scored against them than for them, similar to the Steelers 11-0 start a few years ago..(we may have had more pts at that time, but still...). Yes teams can improve from the previous year, but the Steelers should (from a year ahead view) be in decent position to be favored in a lot of games next year. What I do not see (yet) is a dominant feature on either O or D..that identity. We could go 13-4 next year, win the division and still get slammed in the first round. We could go 10-7, find fire and make a long playoff run...having Canada gives me no confidence, however seeing certain players develop, a line that started taking shape at least makes we excited about what can happen...that is actually more than I have felt in a while lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Lipstick on a pig. The early part of Tomlin's career, we did seem to have good coordinators (the first two he didn't choose obviously). The past 7 or so years, we have been playing below our talent level and that is purely on crappy coaching. The past two years are talent level, especially the OL and ILB, has been below average, but we still are playing down to that, coaching isn't helping at all.

I may be over-the-top in my criticism (you pointed this out), but it's frustrating when mediocrity is the standard. Even the Bengals are laughing at us now. We're them and they're us. Didn't think I'd see that under the Brown's and Rooney's. Sad, truly sad.

12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Yeah, bye to the person that actually cares about winning. Welcome to those that just like having an NFL team, even if it's laughable now. Yeah. Celebrate good times, come on!

That was sarcasm.

Be glad at least some on here care about WINNING. Me, I want to win, win big, win it all and blow out quite a few teams on the way. I can't remember the last time the Steelers blew anyone out (5 or 6 years ago I guess)? Maybe they blew out their taxi squad in 2022? Doubtful.

13. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

Straw manning from start to finish, if you want to win maybe go and hitch yourself to KC?

You're not a fan if you quit, simple as that, he quit. There's no crying in football.

• Like Like x 2
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Were you not around in the 80s? Bengals went to two SBs with two different QBs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    List

We want a list

Or are you making up :bscow: again

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We better hope Kenny becomes a dude. Because Joe Burrow is the dude and he's not getting out of division anytime soon.

Crazy Bengals won 5 playoff games in 53 years.

They have already won 5 in 2 years now.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    8 years ago....2014. Roethlisberger had 2 back-to-back 6TD games vs. Colts and Ravens. After that, Steelers lost to the lowly Jets. :facepalm: That season went down the crapper when Bell got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Does 38-7 count as a blowout? That was the margin when they beat the Browns early in the 2020 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes... that's a blowout. Winning by at least 3 scores is a blowout, IMHO. Forgot about that game vs. Browns.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. It is still sad that we have to go back that far to find an example of the Steelers blowing someone out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Old genius here didn't realize the Steelers were 2- 6 at the bye week. The Steelers only won 25% of their games at the bye. Well below 500.

No one believes things are fine and dandy. However, there was improvement and some positives in which to build on.

The Steelers probably won't be consistently and seriously competitive again until they have the next QB. Hopefully KP is that guy.

22. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    It is, but come on, 90% of the league has had a worse last 20 years or so than we have. We ran into NE's cheaty juggernaut which also severely limited the success of Manning's Colts as well. It destroyed the rest of the AFC East for two decades (not that those three teams needed any help) - what were the Chefs doing on the post season pre-Reed, Mahomes, Kelce and Tyreek Hill?

I'll tell you, from 94 up until 2016, pre Mahomes et all they lost 8 of 9 playoff games including SEVEN straight one and dones.

NO and Brees 1 SB win in what 15 years or so?

GB 1 SB win in the entirety of Rodgers career playing in a lousy division, one of the top 10 QB's of all-time.

Manning got 2 SB's in 18 years, one of which he was basically a passenger with Denver.

Giants and Eli got two in 16 years or thereabouts.

Rivers - zip, they stunk in the post season, and guess what - they still do!!! - They're an absolte post-season farce, they've been choking since LT in his prime.

Rats won 2, TB won 2 one with 12.

Some perspective about how bad we've actually got it or had it.

I know that's not in any way a comprehensive assesment of the entire league, but how many teams you think never got even close to what we've had?

No NE and BR probably has 4, at a minmum 3...

Look at the Tebow game, that guy had one good game in his entire NFL career, when did he have it?

Look at the Bills yesterday, absolutely battered on home turf, from the opening play to the last....

And hey, I haven't even mentioned Dallas...

I think the Steelers need to be a bit more agile and inventive, but you don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water and lose what we have that the rest of the league doesn't have. Tomlin isn't great in game, we all know that, but I'd rather stick with the Steeler way and not have a revolving door at HC and staff like 95% of the league operates. That way lies madness IMO, and it is true that if we fired MT there would be a queue right round the block to hire him.

We just need to be better and get creative.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016

Yep it looks great right now, but 5 playoff games in 53 years is some fans lifetime with their team.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That drives nuts as well. They all had the "Nutting-Buster" avatar and kept old Bob's pockets lined with cash.

25. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    There certainly doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency. Slow steady progress seems to be the plan. It’s a conservative mindset and it’s got to stem from ARII. It seems Dan Rooney was the one who pushed harder for the Steelers to get to the Super Bowl - apparently he had a big influence in forming the 70’s dynasty.

young up and coming QB, relatively young established coach, showing promise late in the year. Maybe we can snag a wild card berth next season, everything looks ok. No need to get a new OC - offense seems to be slowly coming on (against mediocre competition). No need to make big moves, Fans need to be patient - this seems to be the Steelers mindset

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1