1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

offensive line/defensive line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Jan 22, 2023.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After watching the Bengals/Bills game, we need to address the offensive line and defensive line. Okafor and Moore are too soft. We need much more physical offensive line. Defensive line, we need a physical guy in the middle to take away 2 opposing lineman to allow our LBs to make plays.
    I expect 3 offensive/defensive linemen in the 1st 4 rounds of our draft.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually some posters here noticed this before watching the Bengals/Bills game

You should hang around here more often

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't cinnci have 3 backups on the o-line? They ran the ball too, to beat that high powered bills team. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I was thinking that as well. It was two former second rounders and a 6th rounder filling in

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Amazing what REAL coaches can do for a team. It's gonna be a while before we see that kind of sideline impact sadly. Burrow helps too of course and Pickett is no Burrow, but he could be NFL average and that might be enough IF we send some coaches packing after next season (not necessarily meaning Tomlin, though I'd be happy if he was canned).

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pat Meyer I feel did a solid job with the offensive line and worked on the running attack. They just need to upgrade the left tackle position. Dan Moore would be a nice swing piece but can't handle the speed rush on a consistent basis. I'm looking at the 1st round pick to sure this up. And possibly replacing Dotson with a FA? Although his cap number is peanuts and he is a road grater. The penalties are the real concern which shows lack of focus.

Not happy about Canada coming back but what can you do but hope areas that are weak can be addressed ie: red zone efficiency and the downfield passing attack.

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LOL - yes!

DLINE is most critical. Old, older, and getting older and thin. Heavy D draft + 1 stud (oline or Dline) GO big or go home this year, Steelers. STEP OUT in FA and find a great player. ILB would also be a consideration.

Don't screw up.

8. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Lines are always of high importance.

1. Coaching
    2. Drafting/GM role.
    3. QB.
    4. O-Line and D-Line.

Definitely need to get two lineman 17 and 32 IMO.

9. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Agreed the lines need to be addressed without question.

However no way do they do the draft like that. They likely go 1 apiece for both lines, but that have big holes at CB, ILB, and S depending on how FA pans out.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Cincy allowed 1 sack of Burrow and they were starting 3 back ups on their O-Line.

Burrow was on fire that game. Gonna be tough playing that guy the next 10-12 years.

Only hope is that Mike Brown channels his inner Bob Nutting and won't pay the guy.

Burrow is gonna become the highest paid QB in the NFL in the next few years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Qb play makes OL look better. You know if J. Burrow drifts too far left , or right at times His line will look really bad.
    Some of You blame OL....when the dang Qbs drifts, or runs right into the protection. LoL.
    I'm not saying they are perfect....I'm saying sometimes if You step up the Tackle can take them right past You, but they can't do that when You step right into the path of the dang pass rusher...., and I Really Really Like KFP, but He did this quite a few times. Of course He hasn't even played a whole year yet....So He will get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Odds that Kendrick Green even makes the team next year?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully not

If he is then we haven’t found anyone to replace Dotson

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Bills invested 120,000,000 (more than half guaranteed) in Von Miller for post season types of situations. Think about that in the context of the situation. When that kind of money is riding the bench then there isn't a replacement for that highly paid, caliber of a player.

We should know. The Steelers loss TJ Watt for several games. A lot of money/play maker time spent on the bench due to injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Von Miller contract is a disaster for the Bills because of his age. And pain in the ass for the rest of the league because everyone is now wanting to be signed and guaranteed until they are 40.

We just saw JJ Watt retire at the age of 33 and the Bills gave a 33 year old Von Miller a 6 year $120 million contract.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

This is why I'd like to see a center drafted and Cole moved over next to Moore. See up the middle for them to create a good pocket for him. Cole is mobile and smarter too. Less penalties. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good. I hope he depletes the team of all financial cap resources and they become the Greenbay Packers of this year.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm definitely not against this idea. Looking at how the Steelers built the OLine in the past two plus decades, the strength of our OLines been mostly built in the middle. I don't know if this was a Colbert thing or a Cowher and later Tomlin thing, or just all those collective minds having the same idea, which is why I'm leaning towards O'Cyrus Torrence as the upgrade the line needs as opposed to T. But getting a C in the 2nd Round and moving Cole accomplishes the same idea.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'm wondering about what they may decide with okrafor. lot's of money involved. i think Moore stays put. remember how chuks okrafor was his first year starting, and his second year starting and then last year starting. quite a difference. slightly better every year. i think they let Moore do the same. chuks, i believe may be on the trade block and we draft a RT that could replace him. i hope they keep trent scott as well to be the backup swing tackle.

now okrafor has played pretty well but, they left themselves an out with him. i think he could easily be replaced on the right side. saving a good chunk of change in the process and not a huge drop off in talent. just a feeling. lots of speculation of dawand jones from ohio state. a mammoth RT. add a center, move cole over and we have reshaped the whole line for the pass and increased our run ability. the run is going to be crucial to helping KP in this offense and they want it to become a strength of this team. let's face it we have two really good RB's right now. we will use them. i could be totally wrong in this but it's what i would like to see them do.

i am one of the few that liked the moore draft and said then it would take him a little time but his ceiling is high once reached. i still think that. let meyer work with this group another year and add some parts. the money being paid to the o-line will not kill the team this way.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The Bills Dline sucked. They couldn’t get pressure on the QB or stop the run - against 3 backup linemen.

The Steelers really need to do something about the Dline, especially with Heyward being 34 years old. They could use another piece on the OL too, but it’s at least serviceable as currently constructed. The DL is not.

• Like Like x 1
  21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    :this!:

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    depends on if ogunjobi is brought back. leal will see more playing time and so should loudermilk. both of them are young newer players. i'm not sure how if ogunjobi is brought back you can say the d-line is not serviceable. adams as well for depth. wren is a young player they have added as well. sure we could draft another but it's not like we have done nothing to bolster the d-line. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This was a poor choice by Buffalo

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They won't keep Miller for that entire contract, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut him after next season.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Can they???