1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s not being discussed enough for you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Jan 16, 2023.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No-one actually knows the Exact #’s but many get close, real close. Some issues are updated and actual current numbers , not projections, and future numbers.

Nothing actually really matters right now, but come March Every Team Must meet the top 51 rule.

I posted a link in a new thread about the cap , the link from The depot, who I have found over the Last 5 yrs or so are really good at being current and accurate as any other site. Overthecap and spotrac are good But tend to be not updated as I’d like.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First and foremost he is under contract for 2023. They can negotiate with him and see if they can extend him. The issue is there are 3 that are taking up a big portion of the defensive cap. They can push money into the future by restructuring. And then there is Sutton. I believe they will offer him a deal and hope he stays. But he is going to get paid!

If they don't come to a deal with Highsmith they can always franchise him in 24.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ingram was a good fit, though he absolutely disappeared when Watt and Highsmith were both out. Hopefully, they can find someone who can rush the passer. They got nothing out of any of their backup outside linebackers this past season.

I've never bought into the narrative that Ingram was misled. I think people hear what they want to hear. It reminds me of a guy who got a job at one of the local papers near me. I knew the sports editor fairly well and he told me the story. The job was covering sports at many levels. It would include some pro and college games, but mostly high school, in addition to long-term projects. The guy they hired lasted less than a week. They sent him to a high school softball game. He decided that was beneath him and quit the next day even though he had been told more than once that such assignments would be a part of his job. I think something similar happened with Ingram. He was going to get playing time as the No. 3 outside linebacker, but he was definitely No. 3 behind Watt and Highsmith. I guess he assumed he could force a change. Oops.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think he would come back. The Steelers do have a history of bringing guys back who had previously left as free agents. I think he would be a great fit for next season, but I imagine he's staying in Kansas City.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram leaked it to the media that he thought he was better than Highsmith, he just didn't like his role with the Steelers.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bird flu

57 million egg laying hens died

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's awesome to have Your own.

8. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    It has in Watercooler Forum

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The real reason. Millions of dead chickens I believe because mcnuggets are suddenly priced to move but those eggy birds are plug n play these days. Look into it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many holes to draft a back-up anything in the first 4 rounds in next two drafts. ILB is possibly worst in NFL at this moment. CB is lacking and may be worst in NFL if Sutton moves on. OL is still WELL below average. Saftey is solid, WR is solid, RB is solid. QB is sketchy, Pickett isn't there yet (no thanks to Canada) and no good backup option. DL is sketchy. I consider Watt DL though he and Highsmith are listed OLB. No good interior lineman beyond Heyward and he is ancient in football years.

ILB, OL, CB, DT/DE are all in DIRE need of improvement before any backup OLB can be even looked at.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Thanks for agreeing with me.

12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Quincy Roche was just signed back. Not that he’s going to be the savior at backup OLB, but he’s shown some flashes.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    2023 outlook

I am neutral on 2023 outlook. I am neither optimistic or cynical. I just see a team stuck in the middle right now with lots of holes and not enough cap space to get this team to the contending level in one season. Draft pick hits are a must. We cannot afford to take a WR in round 1 or 2, we just can't. Have to fix the OL, DL and ILB...and some improvement at CB talent would be helpful as well.

Pros:
    We have a new GM that might be able to improve us quickly...but there is risk/unknown there too.
    We have the best QB from a horrible rookie class, thats something, though hardly glowing endorsement. Pickett at least appears to really care and I can see leadership qualities in him.
    We have great OLB tandem.
    We have a good WR group, even with some concerns over Diontae Johnson and his drops. We get Calvin Austin next year too.
    We have a very good young TE in Freirmuth. Will he be utilized properly moving forward?
    We have 3 picks in the top 50, but we need to get instant impact from all three to move into mild contender for AFC North (unlikely still) or wild card team.

Cons:
    We have subpar talent in the trenches, no OL is even average, some are downright bad,
    DL isn't much better. NT lacking ability to take on multiple OL, DEs lacking youthful impact (Heyward is beastly, but one step away from retirement)
    Awful ILB group
    Poor offensive coaching staff
    Mediocre head coach that does just enough to stay off a hot seat...oh, joy.
    Steelers instill NO fear in any playoff team and haven't in at least 7 years (head coach most responsible)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know how You can watch us play ,and say not one of the Oline is even average....:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just saw a video of Mike Hilton continually hitting Allen in the Playoff game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    James Daniels says hi :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    ^ Cole and Okorafor are decent, Dotson is passable. Yeah, I would say Daniels is decent to solid. Moore is the weak link in the passing game. It’s not a bad line, I would say average in the latter part of the season -

they should upgrade LT at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Wasn't expecting a laugh, i thought the line was ok outside of moore's pass blocking. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Naw they will trade up for an ILBer...:lolol:

I feel the 1st pick will be a left tackle. Moore is a decent run blocker but is not the guy you want protecting Kenny's blind side on a consistent basis. He would be a good back up and can work on his pass blocking.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Was not happy when they let him walk, right into a divisional rival. But they couldn't find the money to keep him right?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because You are not watching Moore apparently. You do know there isn't a OL that doesn't give up pressure. You say You watch so much....well since You do....How many pressures could Moore have driven past the Qb....IF....if the Qb didn't drift/run straight at it.
    Not You ,but a bunch of You see pressure, and a sack, and look No farther. You can't drift into sacks, and if they are bringing blitzes that can't be picked up all the way... scrambling away from the blocking scheme, and ,or not seeing it by the Qb sure doesn't help. Now I'm not putting all the blame on KFP because He's new, and I seen Him get better at it, but a lot of people are blaming the line for His mistakes, and also....No OL blocks everyone....all the time.

22. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    We'll Moore gave up six sacks. That's alot. Most of the pressure was coming from there. I can't remember or find an instance where KP ran into a sack. I guess its possible. But i think at least on 2 of his six sacks Moore just got beat while KP was still in the pocket. I can't remember if MT ran into a sack going left - maybe you remember better than me. To KP's credit, he's getting better at avoiding sacks. Maybe an offseason will get KP and the line more in sync, since there's no open QB competition this time.

I still think they should upgrade at LT.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Moore and Dotson are weak links and should be upgraded.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dotson definitely needs replaced and a journeyman FA could probably be found as an upgrade if no one is drafted

Question on Moore since the OL did much better as the season went on

We’re his 6 sacks spread out over the season or were they in the front half of the season

Did he improve as the season went on

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    STD must think Moore is a stud, I got a laugh on my post as well :lolol: