1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Confirmed as OC for 2023 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yea this year he is going to break out the triple reverse and double stack bubble screen for Kenny.

Our only hope is Kenny has more freedom to audible or call some plays next season and that he is good enough to pull it off.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Where’s obi wan when we need him

797CB019-D9BB-4D58-A6B5-A03ED625BC65.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    That might be the most skewed logic I've ever seen used on this board.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I believe the Austin hiring was more about Austin and the fact that he got canned than anything else. Perhaps you are correct but I thought it was the OC's job to take care of the passing game. Does every team have a passing coordinator? It still sounds like encroaching on another coach's job responsibilities to me. I'm assuming Canada's choices are pretty limited at this point in accepting a guy like that. He's not going to quit because I think he knows no one else would hire him. So on we go

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Austin was hired as senior defensive assistant. They literally took some DC responsibility away from Butler and put him in charge of LB’s. Everyone knew Butler would be gone the next year. He accepted it and he was more established in the NFL than Canada is.

Edit. No, excuse me. I think Austin was hired as the secondary coach but then promoted to senior defensive assistant. @AskQuestionsLater probably remembers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Here’s Dulac talking about the Steelers needing a backup plan. He mentions bringing in former head coaches like Reich or Kingsbury to make senior offensive assistant like they did with Flores on the defensive side. I forgot they gave him that title, knew they did it with Austin before him.

This has become standard practice for the Steelers so no ones fragile egos should be hurt, especially a non established OC like Canada.

Reich or Kingsbury, shoot that into my veins, that is news that would excite me. To be clear, Dulac did not say that the Steelers have reached out to them or that even those guys would even be interested, he was just saying that the Steelers cant go into the season with Canada and no backup plan. I totally agree.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...ron-leftwich-frank-reich/stories/202301200056

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Good to see that I'm on the same wavelength as the beat writers on this issue. I'd be more than happy with Lefty or Brady in this role for 24 continuity.

9. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Ok, glad that is over and done with until next season when it starts all over again., Fire him.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not all but some teams have a OC, a passing coordinator, and a running coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    You didn’t mention that he had a Journey QB to start out the season and then transitioned over to a rookie QB. He had a rookie WR and two new players on the offensive line. It takes time to gel and build cohesiveness. Teams are way to quick to pull the triggers on coaches. Look at Phil'adelphia with Pederson. He is now doing a great a job with Jacksonville. If the offense doesn’t improve next season then I agree you move on from Canada. In addition when you read the news all of the players seem to like Canadas system so I think the wise decision is to move ahead with caution and don’t make any irrational moves.

Tampa Bay and Byron Leftwich is another example about how irrational Fans and the NFL is at times. The year they won their Super Bowl everyone wanted to crown all their achievements on Leftwich and crown him as the next up and coming head coaching candidate and now this year he is on the street and all of their offensive woes are his fault. I guess the players have no impact on the success or the lack there of anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That’s not exactly uncommon for that one

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    NOD was a master at this yet some people think he was a good QB

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He lost me at “I think”

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Players always say good things about the coaches at the end of the season. The offensive guys say they support him because he could be their boss next yr and saying anything negative makes the player look like a problem. It should be obvious Canada is not suddenly going to change into an offensive genius why waste another year.
    I can t believe its they are worried about KP learning a new offensive scheme Canada's looks like it could be written on a paper towel .
    Johnson has stand still for a bubble screen or run a 6 yd out even if it is third and 12.
    Pickens has run down the right sideline as fast as you can and once in a while we will move you over to the left sideline.
    On running plays we will put Gunner in motion out then bring him in behind the line , he won t block or anything but that motion scares the defense.
    JET SWEEP LEFT JET SWEEP RIGHT
    That's about it .
    I am more scared that Canada wont be able to figure out what or how to use our tiny speedster WR who could not get out of training camp healthy then they decided to shelve him and continue to use Gunner.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Because no one is allowed to say anything negative about Tom Brady. So when Tom throws the ball at their feet it is the OC fault because the route was 2 yds too long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Would LOVE Steelers to hire a passing game coordinator this off-season

• Like Like x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL, I love the idea of a Go Fund Me campaign to Fire Matt Canada.

20. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Caption should have said: "and it got me another $700K!"

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What does he think Deebo Samuel is on the team?

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    So you are saying Matt Canada is improving.

With Ben and Company in 2021 It was a NEGATIVE (-3)yard Pass on 3rd and 10. Those passes last year to Najee behind the line of scrimmage drove me nuts.

Now a year later with Kenny it is a Positive 3 yard pass on 3rd and 10.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Finctner was OC in 2020.

25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Oops I meant 2021 when Matt Canada was OC and Ben was QB.