1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This thread has spun quite a few directions.

I like Brock Purdy, I was high on him pre-draft. Not first round high, maybe 6th or 7th.
    I figured he'd be a 'sink or swim' type.
    He hit the books well, he applied himself in camp and during the season.
    The biggest advantage is this staff really took care of him. They adjusted plays to him and they kept the play-calling tailored to him as well.

He has the best defense and solid running game with McCafferty.
    He has one of the very best TE's and well, Debo Samuel is something else too.
    He has a pretty solid offensive line too.

I 'think' he's done well under pressure, that one throw after being chased was just perfect.
    I've also seen him run to the sidelines when he should have just stepped up in the pocket. That almost looks like a product of coaching.
    Miami and the Raiders seemed to challenge him the most.

He sees 'the windows' very well and throws right into them.. Kenny has a knack for this too.
    He can move, Kenny has a next level in comparison.
    He has a good playbook; I'm not so sure Kenny does but I think Kenny audibles better.
    I also think Kenny has the bigger arm.

I'm glad SF found him, I also think Trey Lance might be traded or something as Purdy has certainly outplayed him.
    I don't really know how they will resolve that.
    Jimmy G is moving on and people rake him across the coals but all he does is win.
    I don't have any idea where his career will go next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You really think your insinuation that I have a large ego hurt my feelings? You're funny. That you had to resort to attacking the poster rather than the content of the post is a sign of a lost argument. Now you want to claim you were just asking questions instead of making comparisons. Why not respond with that the first time? Seems to me that you are changing your tune now that it is clear that the original notes were off key.

Mahomes barely got to play as a rookie, but even in that one game, he showed promise. He always had ridiculous arm talent. He was a first-round pick. It's not as if he came out of nowhere, yet now you want to argue that the Chiefs didn't know what they had? Um, ok...:facepalm:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Purdy isn't good. The 49ers might have gotten really lucky and found their guy in the seventh round. I say lucky because you don't wait for the last pick of the draft if you think he's your guy.

I think it is fair to argue that a team didn't realize just how good a player they took in the last round was going to be, but a first-rounder? Not so much.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Just tossing this out there.. a scouting report. You guys brought up an interesting angle..

Name: Patrick Mahomes
    School: Texas Tech
    Position fit: Starting QB

Stats to know: Ranked second in the nation in big-time throws, but third in the nation in turnover-worthy plays

What he does best:
    1. Smooth, whip release with power and touch.
    2. Arm is special and may define the term “arm talent.”
    3. Can make any throw with accuracy and power to and level/area of the field, from every type of platform and arm angle.
    4. Incredibly instinctive, intuitive player with a good feel for passing game.
    5. Athletic in the pocket with ability to make rushers miss, or shed with strength.
    6. Anticipates well. Time from locating receiver to ball out of his hand is extremely quick.
    7. Overall has good vision and ability to see multiple defenders in his reads.
    8. Poise to make any throw no matter what the chaos is around him in the pocket.
    9. Plays outside of the structure of the offense as well as anyone in the NFL does right now.
    10. Gritty playmaker. Wants the ball in his hands and delivers when his team needs it most.
    Biggest concerns:
    1. Plays undisciplined too often.
    2. Inconsistent footwork, loses his base but tends to make up for it with his arm.
    3. Tendency to drift in the pocket in all directions when it’s not necessary.
    4. Bad habit of breaking from clean pockets too early when the pass rush dictates him to stay in there.
    5. Forces too many throws and tries for the hero play too often.
    6. Steep learning curve coming from the Texas Tech spread/wide open system.
    Bottom line: Mahomes is as interesting as a prospect as there is at quarterback that comes with high risk/high reward. His arm is as good as any quarterback in the NFL playing right now. The natural passing instincts as far as sliding and feeling pass-rushers in the pocket, to seeing in front of the throw and adjusting to the type of throw needed, is special. His lack of discipline in the pocket with footwork, bailing on clean pockets, and decision making is a big concern. Some of the bailing on pockets can be attributed to how much “rush three drop eight into coverage” he saw, which can lead to playing outside of structure to find passing lanes more often. Coming from a system with everything so spread out and defined passing lanes, there will be an adjustment period needed for the NFL game and seeing tighter throwing lanes. Mahomes is not likely a Day 1 starter in the NFL but is certainly worth a first-round selection as a potential big hit as a franchise quarterback.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Thats a boutique head i had built from my buddy, all hand wired, beautiful amp, its a souped up jcm 800 on one channel n Soldano slo on other, NO clean channel, 50 wts, all tube of course, cald the Assault n Battery

• Like Like x 3
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Nice!
    I have sworn by my '72 Super Lead (100) and DSL100.... both tubed and wired and driving twin JCM900 1960 cabs.
    I usually use pedals, but sparingly... I like to run the clean (crystal clear) the classic (just at break over) and Ultra (varies from gain being buried to noon)
    I typically play Blues but weave Zep, Clapton, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, oh you know the drill, songs into the sets.
    I have covered Alice in Chains and Velvet Revolver type stuff, but nobody wants to see an old goat making a guitar scream and cry in those sets.
    Currently I am working with some gigging guys that are along the lines of Waxing Poetics, REM, Psychedelic Furs type of stuff so I am mic'g up a new Fender Tonemaster... F*** thing has 200 watts. (Straight out of the box)

I did find after spending millions of dollars on pedals over many years, Line 6 has an awesome Helix multi-effect. I can even dial in country songs for the wife listening pleasure.

Anyway... football.

• Like Like x 3
  6. waywardson

Sep 19, 2022
    NICE karl,i was never really a pedal guy, i was a set it n forget it guy! I spent 30 yrs playing professionally but had to give it up living aboard our boat, switched to jus goin acoustic stuff at Tiki bars along the way.i also have a line 6 spyder,150wt,2-12 combo, i sat on top of the 1960 cab,it really ripped! We played, Disturbed, Gsmack type stuff, i would use the tube head for my power trio band, playing Travers, Hendrix, SRV type stuff.ive recorded alot of stuff,i could send you some tunes, if i knew how!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    So…can you play Single High Safety?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    In the key of?
    :hehehe:

9. waywardson

Sep 19, 2022
    Drop to “C” !

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. waywardson

Sep 19, 2022
    Listen! We ALL agree Cana DUH should go but doesnt look like it, Hopefully this year KP will have more of a voice now to b able to influence, help dip**** run more complex plays and at least start pushin the ball downfield, i would hate to get another hotshot reciever n then have 3 pist off WRs because they dont get opportunties, they cant double team everybuddy, letter fly!

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Tony Iommi style. :)

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    PWP will try to convert him to something else

13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I'm down with DHB. Yeah, you know me.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    SF could probably win with baker mayfield at qb too. It's not as much about the qb as it is the whole team lynch has built. The bill will come due at some point when these guys want mo money. I was one of if not the only one that liked Purdy early. His junior year at Iowa st. was quite good. The kid was a winner. He's not a guy you build a team around but if you have that team he's plenty good to win with. :cool:

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember my first exposure to an SLO. It was many years ago, and a guy playing classic/hard rock in a larger club had a head I’d never heard of that absolutely screamed, and I was like “WTF is a Soldano?” Good stuff.

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You may enjoy a thread in the Watercooler section. There are other members of this board who play music. S.T.D put some of his stuff up. A few posters absolutely have talent.

• Like Like x 3
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll take Picket with SF's OC and maybe their O-Line.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    San Frans Run game better be dynamite against the Eagles.They
    Will have to keep the Eagles offense off the field to win this game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Purdy, but after watching him I don’t think he’s near the quarterback Pickett is. Pickett has a livelier arm, is a little more mobile and is much more accurate. Some of Purdy’s passes are slightly behind his receivers but they’re so wide open it doesn’t matter. Pickett does a great job of putting the ball in much tighter windows. Pickett would be lauded as the second coming of Joe Montana in Shanahan’s system.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think they are comparable now, but I also think Pickett has more upside. Purdy makes some excellent throws, like the one down the seam to Kittle early in the game Sunday. He is also a little off on some throws even when he has time. The long one to Kittle late in the game required a great catch because it was a poor throw even though Purdy had all day to throw with no defenders within 20 yards of him. It isn't just that his receivers are wide open so often, it is that he has great pass protection much of the time, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What happen to Josh Johnson today then? Had the same protection and weapons as Purdy. And has more nfk experience then him

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wish he didnt get hurt today, was looking forward to seeing how he would fare against the Eagles defensive front.

Purdy didn’t look nearly as good last week, think he would have struggled even more today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He threw 4 passes. Idk how you can judge how he played today.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You misread what I wrote, I wanted him to play today.

It was last week that I said he didn’t look nearly as good as he had been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What happened is a very bad quarterback showed why he has been with 13 teams. He also faced a great pass rush, something Purdy really didn't have to do, and he did it without getting a starter's snaps in practice.

Like Blast, I was really looking forward to seeing how Purdy did against a strong defense. Sadly, we didn't really get to see.

I will grant you that Purdy is significantly better than a journeyman practice-squad quarterback.