1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers playing internationally?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by UKSheffieldSteeler, Jan 19, 2023.

1. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I know it isn't ideal for hardcore fans and I fully appreciate and understand why it sucks for Steelers to play internationally but does anyone have any insight as to whether it will happen again and soon? I am utterly desperate to see them play in London or in Germany. The last time in 2013 I didn't really follow the sport. It is in recent years that the love and obsession has developed as I found the Steelers.

I have tried to find out but haven't been able to locate specific information but wasn't there supposed to be an agreement from all teams that with the creation of the 17th game their would be a rotational or obligitary international game for all teams to fulfill? Anyone able to shine any light on this.

I'd just love the opportunity to host Steeler nation in London and meet fellow fans. It's hard for me to get across to the states but I surely will one day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-announces-designated-teams-for-2023-international-games

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I friend of mine, who I've traveled with to Europe twice, flew to Germany to see the Buccaneers play this year. I would love to go to London or Germany to watch the Steelers. I'm guessing tickets would be hard to come by and expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Yes I saw this from today. By the process of elimination I presumed the Steelers wouldn't be playing in London as we don't play any of those teams away next year in our schedule. I just wondered if it had ever been confirmed if it was an obligation for all 32 teams to play international games in the future or whether some could always refuse or opt out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Hopefully Tomlins Private Jet takes a route through the Bermuda Triangle on the way to the game.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Your Karma is about to run over your dogma.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Peter King said this morning that the Patriots and Chiefs would be hosting the two games in Germany.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Hopefully they both stay there.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He also discussed establishing teams in Germany and England.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't see it happening ever....unless there is an invention of instant teleportation type of device.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Hopefully, you are part of the rescue team that goes in to find him. He emerges a winner but you are never found.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm 50/50 on the Steelers playing overseas. On one hand it's great to be ambassadors to football to a new audience and on the other hand it sucks waking up at 6am (west coast) to watch these games. I'd like to see the Steelers in Dublin. There's a connection between the Rodney's and Ireland. But realistically, the market that makes the most sense is Mexico. Steelers and Cowboys are the two most popular teams there, and I'm sure that a match up between the two is very possible.

Also, during my time in the navy I was very surprised at the amount of people that recognized my jersey in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Poland. Germany has a ton of football fans. There's also a large Steelers fan club in France.

• Like Like x 2
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I would make a trip to Ireland for a Steeler game! Probably pull a Hangover and miss the game but it would be a blast nonetheless.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am lost on this.
    The National Football League today announced the five teams set to play in the 2023 International Games. The Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots will each play international games during the 2023 regular season.

How can you have an odd number of teams playing international games? Is one team playing twice?

• Like Like x 1
  15. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Nice to see fans overseas repping the black and gold. Salute to you.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think that's just the home teams announced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Haha... totally relatable... I had a blast overseas. Unfortunately the closest I got to Ireland was seeing streetlights from the channel on our way to Scotland.

• Like Like x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    On my bucket list for sure. Scotland as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sure hope that happens for you one day. Hell, I've been watching an HBO show called Hard Knocks for 20 some years and I'm always hoping the Steelers will be on it. Generally it's a team that had a bad season so I guess it's good we don't totally suck for a season. TBH when we were 2-6 I thought this could be our shot at it. Glad we turned it around, I can do without seeing our boys on the show.

• Like Like x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm really surprised the NFL hasn't sent the Steelers to Mexico for an international game.

The Steelers are a huge draw in that country.

I wore a Steelers shirt one time on vacation in Cancun and workers at the resort all wanted to talk to me about the Steelers and a lot of them knew their stuff too.

• Like Like x 2
  22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If MLB had a Hard Knocks version you could see the Pirates on it every other year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    OK, so you are saying these 5 teams will lose home games next year to go Overseas, and then when the Actual schedule comes out the 5 "Visiting" teams will be announced who are also going overseas.

So, the Steelers may still well be traveling overseas in 2023, but they won't lose a home game in Pittsburgh to do it. If we are playing any of these 5 teams Away.

24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Those teams have 9 home games and the Steelers don't play any of them away so the Steelers are safe.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, I found this article stating that.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...ame-in-2023-jags-titans-bills-chiefs-patriots

Also the Article mentioned something about the Steelers Lease to the Stadium being a problem for the Steelers losing a home game to go overseas.
    Although the Pittsburgh Steelers were not selected as a home team for any of these five games, something that would make it quite difficult due to their stadium lease in Pittsburgh, the Steelers are not matched up against any of these five AFC teams to where they are scheduled to face them on the road.

Although I don't know how there Stadium lease would account for the new extra 9th regular season home game teams get every other year. This extra home game for the AFC in 2023 probably explains why these Home International Games are all AFC teams.

And, no Mexico game this year because of Stadium Renovations.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023