1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Confirmed as OC for 2023 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

But are we still Doomed?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Here's a question for you. Do you think Pickett can keep up those 4th quarter, last minute come from behind wins? Or do you think the law of averages will eventually catch up to him and we'll lose some of those games, because after all, he's going against NFL defences?

I like Pickett. I think he's going to be good. What I have an issue with is our offence is the same as last year. I defended Canada because I thought Ben may have been the problem. As it turns out, nothing has changed. We still dink and dunk like crazy. I don't care that he's a rookie, so is Purdy, yet he's actually throwing the ball down the field as well as utilizing play action.

We aren't going to be a contender with Pickett throwing barely over 6 yards per attempt.
    You can't ignore stats, but you also can't rely on them for everything.
    I watch the games the same as you do, and what I saw was terrible playcalling as well as play design.
    No, I don't think Canada will get better. Tomlin had to apparently step in halfway through the year.
    I know football very well. If the Steelers hired me, I would also get better, but it doesn't mean I would ever be good again.
    Some guys simply aren't cut out for the job

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of people doubting Pickett and that he’ll only be as good as a game manager.

I’m sure there will be frustration next season, name me a fan base that isn’t frustrated by their team. But as far as going into the season, I don’t roll like that, I don’t go into a season with negative expectations. I look for the positives in all things because you can’t tell me for a certainty that the offense won’t improve, especially if they bring in help for Canada.

Don’t see the point in going into a season all glum, half the fun of being a fan is the excitement of a new season. If I was just going to be negative all the time why the hell even be a fan, why be part of something that just makes you mad all the time.

They have Pickett who I feel is the next franchise QB, dont know what his ceiling is yet but I like what I have seen from him. The Pickett to Pickens connection will be the new Ben to AB hookup. They have a great tandem in Najee and Warren. They have their first really good TE since Heath.

Firm up the OL via draft or FA, get a MLB for the defense, CB (I’d go FA for that), OLB depth and they will be in good shape.

If Canada sucks its only one more year, who cares, don’t renew his contract and bring in a new OC then. Or are you telling me as bad as you and other seem to think the team is that if they bring in the best OC in the world they would win the SB next season?

People need to chill out. Lot of positives about this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    So if they Steelers offense does good next season is it gonna be all because of Kenny Pickett or is Matt Canada going to get any credit for that.

But if they play poorly its all gonna be on Matt Canada.... and the narrative will be that he's holding Kenny Pickett back...

They are sticking with the method of time. Time will just make it better. Maybe they will be right or maybe their wrong.

Playing it safe method isn't going to beat the good teams. It will get you some wins against weaker ones.

But they have to ascend the point total. I'm not expecting the 30 PPG that some do. But having a nice like 25-26 PPG would be a lot nicer.

Everyone gets caught up in the coordinator hate... but lets really get to the teams that score a lot.

Mahomes, Allen, and Burrow.... they are the reason....
    They make the coordinators look good....

Kenny Pickett may develop and be better. But he will get the credit.. Matt Canada..... won't....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Do I think the team could win the SB with the right coaching? Actually yes, it's not impossible. Look at what SF is doing with a QB that nobody else in the league wanted. They haven't missed a beat. That is because of coaching. Do you really think Purdy would be doing good in Atlanta or Carolina?

There are a lot of positives with this team, that's why it's so frustrating. One year in the NFL is an eternity. You can't waste a year of players careers. Most of us know the stats with and without TJ Watt. What is he going to be like in 2 years time? What about Minkah? They could very well be on the wrong side of their prime.

If you can get into the playoffs, you have a chance. Sometimes it's not a good one, but it's still a chance. But we aren't going to beat KC or SF by throwing 6 yards per attempt and running for 4 ypc. Especially if SF bottles that up even more. Or is Pickett so fragile that our coaches need to make him throw for basically the worst yards per attempt in the league in order to protect him? I don't think that by the way. I know Pickett can make the throws, because he does when they let him, they just don't let him very often.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m talking about the negative posts in the last few days saying how far away this team is from competing. I dont care who you get to coach if you really believe the team is that far away, coaching isn’t getting them over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    What about Brock Purdy? Is he making his coaches look good?
    Would Mahomes still be Mahomes if he wasn't paired with Andy Reid?
    Would Brady have ever panned out if he wasn't matched with Belichek?

Justin Herbert has shown that good QB play can cover up for poor coaching, but only to a certain point.

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Maybe Brock Purdy is better than Kenny Pickett.

I'll agree than Shannan is better offensively than Tomlin and Co.

But 49ers Roster talent wise is loads better than the Steelers

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers did lose some of those games. They just came earlier in the season. Take the loss to the Dolphins as an example. Pickett had them driving for what could have been a game-winning touchdown, then he was picked off in the end zone. My point is that while most of the victories late in the season were close games, many of the losses were close, too. They were blown out by the Bills and Eagles and the first game with the Browns wasn't really close. The other five losses all could have one the other way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Not ideal but neither is resetting Kenny Pickett after 1 season there's a list of bust QB's as long as your arm that never had a settled coaching/OC situation. See what happens. If it's no good - then move on. Let's not forget that Leftwich just got fired.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No because I've seen one way longer than the other, but if both are fired/let go/amputated....LoL....I will not cry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Run game = Canada
    Pass game = Leftwich

Then have a Senior Coach tie it all together Gameday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. DoinThatRag

DoinThatRag Active Member

Aug 17, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really... only one teams offense is light years ahead of us...., and that is the 49ers...., and maybe the eagles.....the others look that way because of the Qbs. What Buffalo/Bengals/Cowboys run is nothing special at all....now when they run it ....that is a different matter.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed.
    Now use them same eyes on Edmunds. LoL
    Sorry. I can't help Myself.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One sure thing to help our Redzone efficiency....Stop shooting themselves in the foot with self imploding penalties every time You get there. I would bet just that would up us at least one more td a game.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I brought this up two years ago, but was laughed at.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, when Harris scores a touchdown and the officials screw up the call by marking him short of the goal line, challenge the damn thing.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess the rebuilding year part sailed right over your head. That is the bit that people like you seem to struggle with.

Normally, 9-8 and missing the playoffs is not acceptable, but sometimes you do have to consider the circumstances. This team tried to put off rebuilding the last few years and that was a mistake. The 2022 season was a necessary step back to move forward, specifically moving on to their new quarterback.

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny I saw the exact same thing happen last week in a wildcard game. Should have been a TD and rather than challenge they ran a quick QB sneak.

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, we all know, that the Steelers' organization, as a whole, is slow to change. Didnt Mr Rooney have to fire BA and Haley? Mike, doesn't do well, in gaging talent, whether it be players or asst ( Except for maybe Flores) but he literally fell in our lap. But, there are alot better OC, out there, losing their jobs. All I'm saying, is that, as a fan, since 1970. I am Always gonna want the best players, coaches, and team. Somewhere, throughout the years ... we have strayed away from that mindset of the previous two HC

22. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Perhaps but if we jettison him next year then it was just a money saving move. Time will tell.

23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Wasnt this Canadas second season? Did I miss something in 2021?

24. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t understand why we are punting a year and can just fire Canada if he sucks (we already know he sucks) when we only have Kenny cheap for a limited period of time. If he turns out to be legit he will get paid in another 2 years and it’s back to being hamstrung by a QB salary. You should never just waste a season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You will agree Shanahan is better offensively than Tomlin and Canada?? Are you sure??? :lolol: