1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Confirmed as OC for 2023 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    until kenny gets more experience in the pro's, i like the move to keep this rolling along comfortably. build on what did work. there was a difference later in the season. i'm good with this move for now. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I know that I am somewhat disappointed in this development.
    Add in, that at some point they upped him a year.

Ok, I can deal with it, there are some things to build upon.
    They did start dominating in time of possession behind a power run game with Harris and Warren powering that.
    Harris was off to a slow start, and some right here wanted to trade him 'because he's washed up' or 'not seeing the holes' etc.....
    Harris got that plate out of his shoe, regained some confidence and was tough to stop.
    Warren was a very capable rotation and proved he's a gamer.

In the aerial game, the connection of Pickett to Pickens didn't hit as often as it should.
    Pickens had some amazing catches, the one against Cleveland was just incredible. That connection needs to become a thing.
    I'd say that Pickens matured, I like the way he wants the ball, but he needs to maintain disciplined routes.
    DJ had some nice catches but also some drops and times when he ran sideways or backwards looking for big plays when he should have just secured the 1st down.
    Freiermuth is just awesome.
    Going into 2023, there is no doubt who the QB is, and this passing game should be clicking better, and Canada has to figure ways to maximize it.

The Offensive line could use some depth and a quality OT. That's on the front office.

Cananda has the resources on offense, and he must come out of the gate swinging for the fences.
    If he can start 2023 like he finished 2022 and keep adding as the unit becomes more solid as they play together, we might have something.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess I'm ok with this but we really need to expand the middle of the field passing game. and allow some audibles (apparent rumor that his system does not allow it) as KP gets more experience and the defense gives a look contrary to the called play.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh thats just the extension he signed for 2023.

I thought you were saying he was signed through 2024 now.

That extension clearly played a big part of why he was retained.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Another year of most series:

1st down = 2 yards up the middle
    2nd down = 3 yards up the middle
    3rd down and 5 yards to go = pass Johnson or jet sweep

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Right after I found out Canada was coming back

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    8 misses by our kicker would have given 24 more points.:shrug::cool:

13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cool, excuse already locked down for the Offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What was the difference? I keep reading that there was this big 2nd half difference for not just Pickett but the Steelers. We beat several bad teams, but a win is a win I admit. Nothing against winning no matter who you play. But in terms of this difference for Kenny, what was it?

His last 3 games he had 3 TD's and 1 INT. The lack of INT's is good but the TD's are not great. 1 per game isn't going to get it done over the long haul. His completion percentage was under 60%. His yards per attempt were like 6.3, which is pathetic.

So what changed? He didn't throw as many INT's, that's a good thing. Nothing else changed. His actual stats are very mediocre and they were in the second half too. The only difference is we won, but not due to consistent QB play.

I'm not bashing Pickett. He's a rookie. I expect slow progress. But if you wanted Canada fired in the first half, what changed in the 2nd half of the season? What did he do different? What did Kenny do different that shows Canada deserves to be here?

Our offence is going to be mediocre again next year because our playcalling and play design was atrocious.

Almost every QB in the league averaged more yards per attempt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What does that have to do with Canada?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    someone asked where the points were coming from. This is one of the ways that helps. It's not only the points missed but also field position given to the other team from where he missed. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    every scoring drive doesn't have to end in a passing TD. You have to get in scoring position. The long drives that the Steelers had for most of the second part of the season also keeps the other teams offense off the field. Do you really think this extremely young offense will stay the same forever? There are certain things in this league that come with experience. It's a process. Many fans expect it to come all at once and that is just extremely high expectations. We did lead the league in long drives. That is not a bad thing and shows some consistency. Something we can build on as these players mature in the league.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    People have eyes but do not see. How can anyone doubt the progress Pickett made from his first game to his last.

If you wrap yourself up in stats I guess you wouldnt see it.

Here’s a stat for you, first rookie to have four 4th quarter wins, 2 of them on the last drive, which also has never been done by a rookie. The guy has it but because he didnt throw for 500 yards and 30 TDs on an offense being run by a first time OC at the pro level then that means Kenny is mediocre and the offense can’t improve at all because you know people (Canada) aren’t capable of learning and growing.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I doubt people are doubting that. I see it, saw it for sure. I just doubt Canada. You have a ROOKIE QB and A ROOKIE OC - not a good combo. they will grow together....and we will suffer. Get a mature OC, a seasoned VET proven to develop young QB's

Canada's play calling was suspect, especially in the red zone.

i have said enough, as most of you know , if you have read.

enjoy the frustration again next year, it will be here. Drives to the 30 or 20.....and then trot out Bos. We had to have to have a top 5 worst RZ offense this year. that does not improve quickly with the same pieces in place, just does not happen. and we are still stuck w DJ.....

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Truth. He improved and I can't wait to see him take another step in 23.

The rumor has it that it was Tomlin who wanted the ultra conservative offense.

I'm not giving a pass to the trickster and also reports are that Pat Mayer was instrumental in the running attack script.

They need to balance this out especially red zone efficiency and the passing attack.

I expect that George Pickens will be a focal point in 23.

So can we put the Canada coming back to bed and move on to free agency and the draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They went 9-8 in a rebuilding year and would have been in the playoffs if not for the injury that ruined most of Watt's season, but yeah, they suck. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    ‘I thought we were talking about winning playoff games and competing for super bowls.

I didn’t realize we were talking about trying to play Marty Shottenheimer football,

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    LMBO!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012