1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada Confirmed as OC for 2023 Season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Jan 18, 2023.

1. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    With Canada, I expect that the absolute minimum improvements for next year are for DJ to catch a TD and Pickens to not lead the league in contested passes. Above that is gravy

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean things have been running very smoothly recently it makes perfect sense to keep things status quo. Steelers Way! Canada should get the MT Lifetime contract after next season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    All we need to do now is go find some young offensive talent from SF and bring him over tobe the passing game coordinator and groom him for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    All IMO

Steelers were 7 2 down the stretch, BUT played a bunch of turd teams n still couldn't score consistently

They are fooling themselves

The largest issue for me is Canada's system n MO

His system rarely uses the middle of the field, making the Def job easier
    He simply calls plays vs scheming up to get his play makers open - running play A to set up play B etc. His system has the qb take the 1st open read, typically the short stuff, which includes 3rd 8 plays (read/heard that somewhere during season maybe Batch on a postgame show?)

Whiz was pretty good at this at his peak

Wasting a year again IMO

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Cant wait to average 18ppg next season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    What I heard was that Mike Tomlin was dealing with a personal issue and no decisions were being made until he returns

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    upload_2023-1-18_16-49-50.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I was thinking more along these lines....

EDIT: I am not surprised since it didn't happen last week

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers brass confirmed hes coming back.

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Something we all knew was happening. His contract and season finish cemented it.

Now, I ask this, what if we finished with 4-5 wins, Steeler front office think contract or results????????????????????????????????

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. He has a contract for next year and this is the Steelers. As much as I don't want him back, I've been saying for months he would return. Art is perfectly content with this season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I hope in 10 years we are not like the Pirates, just a business to fill seats but not willing to pay the extra cost necessary to get over the hump which for us seems to make it past one playoff win now. Patience and stability is great if you are seeing continual progress towards your objective. The way we finished is a red herring due to who we were playing. I think he's gone after next year unless there is a miraculous improvement in our offensive performance. Its a money issue and if I am Cam I would be thinking damn there goes 1 of my maybe 3 years left of top performance for $700k. I can't believe Tomlin wants him back, feels like a total Rooney move over money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Yeah i can go for that The rdinking eavily.part n chearing for Kenny Canada and Matt Pickett:guiness: SCORE!!

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    NFL is different because of the cap but yeah we are trending down big time as a franchise.

16. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    He's already made a statement about Canada returning. It's official.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It could be. I'm not a fan of Canada, but I seen progress in many areas, and I have never been so stubborn that My mind can't be changed.

18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Salary cap world and solid owners prevent the Steelers from turning into the disgraceful Pirates. Teams spend roughly the same in the NFL and the Rooneys manage things well enough to keep the wheels from falling off. Still, the Rooneys are one of the "least rich" owners so they may really not like paying a coach not to coach. That, and Tomlin and Canada are friends, so it may very well be Mike who wants Canada back and Art is just agreeing to it. Regardless, and understanding it's been two years with a very old QB, a rookie QB, and otherwise all very young players, the offense has looked poorly schemed, whether intentionally simplified or not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
  20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    HMMM.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t get it. In some ways, I can appreciate the loyalty that Tomlin and the Steelers organization extends to its coaches, but the NFL is a performance driven business and the fact is that Canada’s offense has been an abysmal failure the last two seasons spanning three (really four if you count Rudolph’s appearances) different quarterbacks. The offense has looked out of sync with a future HOFer at quarterback, a mediocre six year vet and a rookie. The rook has shown some promise but the fact is his OC did him no favors this year. This is Canada’s offense in a nutshell:

• Pickett’s 6.2 yards per attempt and seven touchdowns on the season were good for just 33rd in the NFL in both categories.

• The Steelers’ overall points per game output of 18.1 was tied for 26th in football. That’s despite executing the fifth-most snaps in the league at 1,153 (pass, rush and penalties), leading the NFL in average plays per drive at 6.5 and being fifth in time of possession (31:18).

• The Steelers had only 44 passing plays of 20 yards or more, tied with the Cleveland Browns for 23rd in the league. With just three passing plays of 40-plus yards, they were tied for last with the Arizona Cardinals and Jaguars.

• Their red-zone touchdown percentage of 51.9 was 22nd in the NFL. Their yards per play of 4.9 put them at 27th.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-ben...f-kenny-pickett-after-week-1-of-nfl-playoffs/

I was really hoping the Steelers would bring in a bright, young, creative offensive mind to help get Pickett and the rest of the talented young players on this offense to the next level. But for whatever reason, they chose to keep the guy who is obviously in way over his head and is a running joke around the league and with former players in sports media who refer to him as Mr. Saturday-ish. That may giving him too much credit. He’s somewhere between HS and JUCO with his playbook design and implementation. I honestly thought that after this season Matt Canada being fired would join the short list consisting of death and taxes as the only sure things in life and boy was I wrong. Matt Canada does not deserve to remain on staff as the Steelers OC yet here we are. :facepalm::frustrated:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No M. Canada fan here ....so no excuses, but I find it funny that We are tied in some categories with 3 teams that's Head Coaches were hired because they were thought to be offensive gurus.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Start at the top. 3-in-54 coming up. 19 straight non losing. Art is happy.

On the other hand, no playoff wins in 6 years and nowhere near winning Bowl #7. Most of the fans are unhappy. Our opinion doesn't matter though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

[​IMG]

25. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    More like apathy. If Rooney and Tomlin don't care about trying to improve and win, why should we care about the Steelers. I do, but I feel like glory days are in the rear view mirror and nothing on the horizon except desert.