1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s not being discussed enough for you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Jan 16, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I’d much rather he have better trench studs than skill weapons if I had to choose. A vet WR and Steelers special late round rookie (maybe) to compete with Austin is the most I’d prefer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I looked at the free agent tracker for WR who can play the slot...I can't honestly say I saw a whole lot. Sterling Shepard is really good when he's not hurt. He's always hurt. Mecole Hardman may be a candidate...hes currently hurt now also. Safe route to go would be someone who wasn't hurt at years end since Steelers seem to have a knack for bringing in players who cant pass physicals. If you're going healthy player it seems like slim pickins immediate impact wise.

No one wants to bring back JuJu right??

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Ah yeah, of course. May not ever see one again.

4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Really? We are def looking at different mocks then. I’m seeing the appropriate O and D line help in the first two picks sprinkled with a CB. I don’t recall seeing any with LB’s until the 4th round.

But I’d like OLB with our original 2nd. I’m not sure how we pay and keep Highsmith with his production vs. our cap and how much longer is TJ at his outstanding productive prime or his physical health?

5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    James Washington is looking to land somewhere again I think. I don’t know how or why it never worked for him here. I thought he was good when called upon, but he never had anyone willing to feed him enough.
    Or maybe it was my hoping he was going to be another great pick and just wasn’t what I’d hoped. He sure couldn’t make a name for himself in Dallas either. But they are another odd story with their WR’s.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The wild card for me going into next year is Connor Heyward. Watching him come in for Muth in week 18 was eye opening. That dude can catch the freaking football!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah I agree. When I asked the question does Pickett have enough weapons around him I was definitely including him along with Muth, Harris, Pickens, DJ, and Jaylen Warren.

8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, maybe the Steelers can bring him back on the cheap. My problem with JW is that he rarely if at all got separation. They really could use a slot guy that has burner type speed who is shifty.

It's nice to have that solid body with strong hands also, but we may already have that in Heyward. I'm not sure if I wouldn't take JuJu over JW also if I had to bring one or the other back.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would prefer for them to sign a veteran WR to play the slot, they have too many holes to draft another WR in the early rounds IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I wish someone would discuss the real reason eggs are so expensive right now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Seems like most of the usual suspects named in other articles I've seen or that people have posted:

Primarily W. Jackson, Trubisky, Olzewski, Witherspoon, and Myles Jack. I was all for the Myles Jack release or trading to save 8 mil until they talked about giving it to Spillane....and then I was like "ahhh naww". You mean to tell me you can't find better value at ILB for 8 mil then Spillane??? Now I gotta go look at the FA tracker.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is a problem. Cut Jack. Heyward, Minkah and TJ are huge debts (but great contributors). and we have to pay Highsmith now too. It's a problem. Cam is off the books soon. Sorry Cam that the organization failed you for 10 seasons.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS has been a big topic in our house!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just do not see how they can pay Highsmith. They will try, but he is going to get a lot of attention in the FA market if he has another year like this one.

15. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Besides AB and Holmes returning punts, the Tomlin era rarely has a return game of any threat. Field position can be huge.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Avian flu

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or Anthony Miller or white? I think the Steelers just signed Miller to 1 year contract?

18. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Agreed I don't HATE Spillane I just don't like.
    I'm in for jack, I think it's still friendly enough.

Really wish we got foye last FA period.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The real reason. They grow chickens from embryo to laying adult in 3 days. Look into it.

20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Ha! $8 a carton where I'm at. I remember there was this huge chicken farm that caught fire towards the end of the pandemic...I can't imagine carryover lasting this long though.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Along the same vein I would like to know why our receivers run routes short of the sticks on 3rd downs as much as they do. They've been doing that for some years also....irks me to no end. Know where the sticks are and stop your route right at the sticks...that way even if you get dropped immediately forward momentum still gets you the first. I often find this to be DJs problem. He often runs his route short of the sticks, thinks he can backpedal, and juke the defender to get to the first down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me, what is not being discussed enough pertains to whether or not Pat Meyer will be retained as the Offensive Line Coach. This sounds miniscule in comparison to the talk of subjects such as another quality rotational EDGE, Matt Canada being jettisoned (or not), acquisitions in certain spots on the roster or even resigning key contributors. However, given that the team has found their heir apparent in Pickett, priority number one is keeping up upright.

Now, finding great Offensive Lineman is no easy task. However, finding great coaching in the trenches is even more difficult. If anything, it will not get any easier either. Pat Meyer marks the fourth different Offensive Line Coach since 2019; a revolving door if there ever was one.

No matter who the team obtains in terms of Lineman, should they lack the proper basics and fundamentals of the position, they will never reach their potential. Pat Meyer did a very good job overall given his circumstances entering this season. I would hope that Tomlin, Kahn and Weidl all concur in bringing him back. If there is one major component that every Offensive Lineman needs, it is proper coaching; doubly so regarding younger players.

For that matter, see how well James Daniels played as the season went on; Dan Moore Jr also..... though more so during the final four weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they WON'T let him get to FA.....

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    ]
    Its a balancing act. Right now they are dominated defense on CAP, to say they wont let him is a dependent on how much he will command on the market. I could say the say thing about Buffalo letting Edmunds get on the market, I think they will do everything to try and keep him, but there is only so much cap space to fit in 20 million plus players.

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm not going to post links, but 2 different CAP sights have us at 13 or 18 million under, based on projected CAP increase. That's without cutting players or restructures. From what I have read there are 3 contracts that can be restructured. TJ, Minkah, will bring the most...DJ can be done but is most likely an emergency exit. IMHO I think they hold at least one restructure until camp time..allowing for injury and possible cap cut signings from other teams and 'emergency' fund. Simply seeing how they have done things in the past.