1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we waiting on Leftwich before we fire Canada?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I would actually be fine with that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even though I think they should let Canada go, I could think of worse scenarios. I think Leftwich could work well with Kenny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I won't either but I will steeple my fingers like Mr. Burns saying excellent all the while

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Mash his point was the Leftwich had an unorthodox throwing motion that he made work his whole career and was widely criticized for. So why would you want the guy with that type of throwing motion to mentor and mold your rookie QB. Something along the line of do you want the guy in a wheel chair to teach you to drive?

No opinion on the topic just thought I'd help out where time allows.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It could happen, but most of it depends on Leftwich status. If he is still under contract rarely will a team let a guy go for a lower level position. If he is fired or his contract is up, then its really up to him and what options are available. I do not see a positive professional situation or locker room with an OC who knows he is just here for a year to get fired. The tension created would have negative impacts on the field. It is different that MT bringing Flores in, you either make the change or not.

8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    They struggled to run in the 2nd half but I wouldn't put that on the OC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not saying he’s going to step in front of a train over it or anything. Just think he will have a hard time making the adjustment into retirement.

He could have had the storybook ending to the storybook career and blew it because he couldn’t walk away.

upload_2023-1-17_15-23-27.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    narcissist is going to narcissist

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yet that is what they did to Butler.

Or as I like to say, they are going to Butler Canada.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    why?

what has leftwich proven or done?

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they got to 27 on 4 TO's from the Jags. not from some stellar offensive performance.

this is what excellence does - it fires average to get BETTER. something the Steelers do not understand.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He’s led the first or second passing attack in the league (yards gained) the last 4 years as OC. Won a SB. Even this year they could pass the ball despite having the worst rushing attack in the league (for various reasons). He’s never had better than a middle of the pack rushing attack, but at the same time they’ve been 29th, 31st, and 32nd in attempts so they haven’t made it a priority.

I’m sure they will consider Leftwich if they are considering outside options. It just depends on what we’re trying to do offensively and if he can make a good case that he’s the guy to get the best ball out of Kenny Pickett

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except we are talking about OC and not a QB coach. Also, along the same lines that coaches that lacked talent as a player and ended up great coaches could apply to a player with unorthodox mechanics. It’s about teaching and and how to convey things. I’m sure Lefty knows what proper mechanics is supposed to look like but again, he wouldnt be the QB coach anyway.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I would never want to emulate Jim Furyk’s golf swing, but would I want him to treach me how to golf? Yes. Absolutely yes.

I think that’s a fair assessment. Leftwich can provide lessons/insight from being a good QB in the league without teaching him his throwing motion. Besides, he’s more gamplanning the offense and calling the plays and less coaching Pickett how to throw a ball.

• Like Like x 2
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Your Furyk comment got me thinking of other golfers I can compare to NFL Players. John Rahm's swing reminds me of Dan Marino. Dan threw that ball fast and hard, kind of like Rahm's swing.

19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Have only read a bit of the thread but I agree with whoever said that if Leftwich comes in it will be as Senior Asst / Pass Game Coordinator to work with Canada, with a view towards promotion to OC next offseason when Canadas deal expires.

If they aren’t going to fire Canada that is probably the best we can hope for. Leftwichs offence in Tampa this year was pretty awful but there were a lot of factors going against him, Brady is noticeably in decline and they had a lot of injuries, he is almost certainly a better coach than Matt Canada

• Like Like x 1
  20. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Nice haha not a comparison I’ve ever connected before (golf swing -> qb throwing motion) but it actually makes sense.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Barely watched it. I didn't turn it on until it was already 18 to 0. I only watched sporadically after that. I am not going to base my opinion off of one game. I watched the Bucs play several times this season. Offensively they are bad. I am not saying Brady played great, but I honestly believe if it wasn't for Tom the Bucs would have been a 4 win football team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Very good point. I was assuming that even as an OC he would still lean on his playing time to relate to his players but he could do that without saying this is how I did it, try it.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I don't know about Leftwich. Having Brady can make a coordinator look better than perhaps he is. Is he considered innovative and highly motivating.
    Brady seemed to go downhill badly this year along with looking like a skinny 14 year old kid. He got way too thin and lost lean muscle it seems and just looks weaker. I am over 10 years older than him and have more muscle mass than he does and still have flexibility so its not just age as that just doesn't happen in one year.