1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Canada do enough?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots basically went without an offensive coordinator this past offseason, which was actually year two for their quarterback that they took in the first round, so I wouldn't exactly throw them out there as a model for what the Steelers need to do this offseason.

I do get the concern that someone will beat the Steelers to the top options for OC, but that isn't just the Patriots. There are other teams looking, such as the Jets.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As others pointed out, schemes can create openings for receivers. Look at what the 49ers do. Kittle is special, but he's not that much more athletic than Freiermuth. He just has a scheme that gets him wide open quite often. I mean high school wide open, not NFL wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    We sort of did what the patriots did this year. We went without a real oc but I don’t think tomlin changes anything. We will stick with 31st offense in the league only ahead of teams with back up QBs and pray defense can get us to 9 wins again. Same plan as last four year

4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    At times through deception where the DB makes the mental mistake and picks up the wrong receiver, overloads where receivers create confusion with the secondary and a receiver comes open, or misdirection where an over pursuing defense leaves a WR or TE open in the opposite direction, play action where the safeties or DB's bite on the run, etc, etc. You watch football so you know its not just running faster than the defender.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Guys, he was just yanking your chains yesterday by asking "how do schemes help/work?". Don't feed the trolls...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I know but just felt like responding anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Watching all the open receivers this weekend, no Canada did not do enough

• Like Like x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually it was a serious question

This is a message board lots of people ask questions and people have varied opinions and answers

Please ignore the knucklehead saying otherwise

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

10. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Absolutely not. When You look at the playoff teams this past weekend, his plan isn't even close to the contenders. He has to go and they need to bring in someone from the outside!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Apparently fokin yes! I can't believe it.

12. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I just spent five minutes reading that drivel. I want my five minutes back.

They showed some improvement, but they went from awful to merely below average late in the season. It's not as if they were good.

Continuity has value, which is why the switch should be made now. Give Pickett and the rest of the offense a full offseason with the new coordinator rather than put off the likely change a year.

DeArdo's last point was his worst. it is comical to say that the Steelers making a necessary change to their coaching staff would make them look desperate or give a sense of disarray. The team just went through a major overhaul. Now it is time for the tweaks that can get them back on top. One of those is either replacing Canada or bringing in a passing game coordinator, but the latter can be more difficult to find and would create a less stable staff. Better to rip the band-aid off now.

14. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Yeah, there was definitely nothing groundbreaking about his take. In fact, there was really nothing he had written that our own members of this board hadn't already pointed out in this very discussion. I just happened to come across the article at the same time I was sorting through this thread.