1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we waiting on Leftwich before we fire Canada?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jan 16, 2023.

1. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    This. The FO needs to get of the Who do we know? mindset when it comes to hires and into a Who's the best available? mindset.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They were barely above us in scoring touchdowns and that’s the whole goal

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Bryon Leftwich was a 'sure-fire' candidate for Head Coach just a couple years ago.
    He didn't get that job.

I was once told that Tom Brady helped spice up Leftwich's playbook.
    But I don't really know, and Bryon does get respect around the league.. way more than Canada.

Personally, I'd like to go for a real QB friendly and innovative type... I'd be looking to rob Shanahan's staff.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought Mike Sullivan might have been an internal candidate

Mid season he was the one talking to the media and not Oh Canada

But if it was going to be him it probably would have happened quickly

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    They were #1 in not giving up a sack.
    Are you sure you watched the game last night. Because I'm about to put the film of Brady throws. Even the announcers said several times how brady was missing.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    This I do agree with. I liked reich.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not even close. With Arians they scored 30ppg without Arians they scored 18ppg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Brady needs a viable running game to be effective. Belichek never gave up on run with Brady in there, especially now that Brady is older. Leftwich offense showed no commitment to the running game. Like someone said, there are better candidates out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    20230117_113535.jpg

As I have said several times. Byron passing yards, TD, red zone is top 5-10. And would be even better if not for tom brady declining. (That's just this year. While 2019 Winston was even better)

He's had 2 different head coaches. And 2 different quarterbacks. And all the time has been almost the same.

Here i made a snip of the parts of tom throwing. Several times you see him off. Short and under. I stopped when I got to the int which was wide open to being a stupid throw of no one in the area. ... I could have kept going, but this was enough to prove my point that a couple of y'all in here just look at the score board and not the plays...... in just the quarter and a half, the announcers mentioned 5 times that I can remember of them questioning Tom brady throwing.

Now I do not like abandoning the running game. I do think there is better coaches out there. I also understand Pittsburgh will only go for someone they believe in, as well they do like people within the organization..... in no way am I making a case Leftwhich is the most amazing out there. However he is better than than Canada, and he will get Pickett too throwing better, as well more yards, as well most important being able to punch it in the red zone.

For the record, i would have probably called up reich to take over our offense.

This was 2019 with crab Legs Winston.... just for reference without tom brady.

Screenshot_20230117_115546_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The 2019 Bucs offense were horrible....I don't care how many points you score when your QB has 30 interceptions...This is why the defense was in bottom 3 in points against(thank to the 7 pick 6 by Winston) and that the Bucs were 7-9

11. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    i would stick with Canada before Leftwich.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Actually, the year after Ariens left and Brady could still throw more than 10 yards down the field (2021), they averaged 32 points a game. Face it, Brady wasn't the Tom Brady of old this year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Arians never has gotten enough credit for the good coach that he is, both as an OC and HC.

Having said that, Bradys play fell off a cliff, finally. Fought off Father Time as long as possible.

Brady is in trouble. He went from geeky kid to football God, he’ll have to go back to being an average guy, average guy with **** ton of money but won’t have the adoration anymore, being put on a pedestal and performing great feats that are highlighted on ESPN all week every week. Thats a big reality slap in the face. Going to be a tough adjustment for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Exactly. I thought showing the game film of last night would help. But I see there's still people ignoring it.

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Not sure I agree with all of this. He will still be on a pedestal as the most accomplished NFL quarterback in history. Plus, have you seen his new girlfriend? I'm pretty sure that dude is gonna be alright post-football.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

Arians was the HC in 2019. 2022 is first season for Leftwich as an OC without Arians.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not in the way he craves. He’ll be past tense not current. He needs the game, needs the competition, the attention. You don’t play to 46 otherwise. Ruined his marriage over it.

It hits all athletes, will hit him harder than most.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody is ignoring it. How are You ignoring that as soon as Arians left ....all of a sudden Brady, and Evans aren't on the same page. That has nothing to do with arm strength, or this magic escapablity that He never had. We beat that same team this year with a rookie Qb in His 2, or 3 rd game, Trubisky, and No TJ Watt.

20. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Maybe. I won't lose any sleep feeling bad for him, that's for sure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why will Lefty teach Kenny to throw better??? Byron had one of the worst throwing motions ever. What can he teach that he couldn’t implement in his own game?

Look, if he’s a better play caller and motivator and can scheme better then ok, ya got something there. But he had the GOAT when he was still great at the end of his prime and hand selected stacked squad of vet skill players and a very good o-line and a good head coach all at his disposal when they won the Super Bowl.

When he didn’t have all that he was as bad or worse than us with the same record in a far worse division. And they lost to US when the Steelers were at their worst!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Who in the heck did there and says, let me throw to this area that Evans isn't even at? And is not just Evans he misses big time...... so as I have said, go watch the film I made. First throw was over thrown and even the announcer called him out.

Also this has nothing to do with win or loss. Why y'all get hung up on that is baffling.

23. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I agree about Brady's play falling off a cliff. He should just retire.

I've never been an Arians fans. He was too married to his vertical scheme and Ben took too many hits in it.

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    It's not about what byron arm can do.... why would you even say that?

Again he took Winston to another level. There was no GOAT. Winston had the most yards with leftwhich.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Prediction: Steelers will hire Leftwich but not as the OC. I think (unfortunately) the Steelers will retain Matt Canada through the end of his contract next season and bring Leftwich in as the passing game coordinator. After Canada's contract expires next season, they elevate him to OC. It's the Steelers way...bringing back a familiar face AND maintaining continuity at the position. My prediction FWIW.