1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s not being discussed enough for you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Jan 16, 2023.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't this a catch-22?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Was that due to his ability or the situation they found themselves in the last few weeks? Looking for help in the middle and knowing that even though reducing snaps for Highsmith and Watt can help there was no way in hell they were taking them off the field.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He probably has very little say actually. He’s not a 20 year vet. Not even sure they would seek his input at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This! The notion that Pickett holds Canada’s career in his hands is just silly. One of the Pittsburgh sports writers, Dulac I think, recently wrote that Pickett will have ZERO influence in whether or not Canada keeps his job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Good point. Probably a bit of both, but they were giving Jones a helmet over Reed down the stretch, so I think that says a lot. We faced some run heavy teams and I think that’s a weakness of Reed’s, but we didn’t see a very impressive pass rush either, for the most part.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not think we spend enough time talking about guys that are just cut, or mentioned in trade rumors. I have not seen a sinn him, sign everyone post in at leàst a week.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that, kind of like that RB who quit the team when Bell returned. Can't say what was said, but by the reactions I feel it just as likely their egos think they are better than the team.

As for 3rd round edge, our needs are many in certain places, but keep in mind that this is Highsmiths contract year. We certainly need depth, but the way he is playing it's doubtful they can resign him. Time to reload before you need to reload..or something like that.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    His lateral movement ability is WAY too limited. Watch some college tape of him, and you’ll see. He’s a pure “hand in the dirt” lineman.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We need to get better on special teams in all aspects. Hopefully Boz can get back to form after a rough year. Need more consistency in the punting and coverage teams too - we gave up way too many long returns this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don’t understand why the Steelers only have Danny Smith officially as the sole special teams coach. Maybe there are (must be right?) other coaching staff the help or are dedicated to special teams play, but as I understand it there aren’t. And most teams have a small dedicated multi-person special teams “staff”.

I hope the Rooney’s aren’t skimming on payroll and being fine with “well enough”. That would be frustrating to learn of. It doesn’t affect salary cap. I know I shouldn’t spend other people’s money, but for billionaires to cheap out here and walk past a dollar to pick up a dime seems business absurd. How much more money would an owner make winning championships so the few million spent to get the best possible and not limited staff just seems like a major fumble.

Pay for and get as many and the best possible support staff as possible to bring home more rings and $$$$’s.

Or is that flawed thinking?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I agree we need olb help if watt goes down. But first please get o line help for Kenny. Don't need him running around always or getting sacked. Also need more disciplined line. tired of penalties at critical times...

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was curious at where we stand and as of now we’re a bit over the cap AND we have some of our own to sign PLUS need Draft money, UDFA money, PS money and in season emergency room money.

Some here would like to see us go after the Bills Edmunds ……. Nice But I think it’s a pipe dream.

As far as restructures ……. Way early for me but I’m sure Kahn has a plan.

Cajun

13. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    If this is the case, the Steelers could drafting Pickett's replacement in 2024

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    In a way it is….. BUT Will Jackson lll and Witherspoon make up 16 million of cap space…….. So…….????

Cajun

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    For me it’s our punter’s diet.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The aging DL

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Quality depth of total roster. We need to serious
    Upgrade our depth talent. There are many players
    That need upgraded. Db's/CB position, OLB, Defensive line etc.
    I believe the new guys on future contracts that Steelers are trying?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Team speed on both sides of the ball.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Except every mock draft that has us picking up an Edge rusher in the 1st round. Of course, most of these mock drafts were back when we had a top 5 pick and were selecting Will Anderson; that ship has sailed.

I have posted a few Mocks that have us taking a DE/OLB in the 1st round and it drives me crazy when they don't understand the Difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 Defensive end.

20. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Patriots did it for years so no its not flawed thinking especially when the best example has no less than 6 championships to show for it. It may be a myth that the Steelers don't pay their assistants, but the constant in-house upgrades and the fact they are a small market team, and have one of the least wealthiest owning groups (29th I believe) makes me think it's more then likely correct.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm curious as to whether everyone thinks Kenny currently has enough weapons around him or is there one more flash in the pan that's needed? Do you think Austin will be enough? Or do you think they need a flashier McCaffrey type player?? Any suggestions if you've been thinking about who??

• Like Like x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Father or son? Ed or Christian?

We don't need another running back, but we do need that hard worker of a slot WR that can own the middle of the field and make the tough catches after getting pounded by the DBs.

23. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    I'd like someone to explain to me if/how we are ever going to fix the other team converting 3rd and long. I've watched it for 10+ years......guys running completely free at or near the sticks to pick up 3rd and long.

24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah well, every year post Brady they (Belicheat) and his squads and his brand sure seem to be just above average while looking more and more like the GOAT was far more of the puzzle than people want to admit. Not feeling like he’d have close to 6 without #12.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe he lost a bunch of weight last off season

35-40 pounds

• Agree Agree x 1