1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I mean that’s a tough call he was still playing at a reasonable rate at that point. QB is such an important position obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    What if Purdy is a Mahomes, but somehow all those teams/scouts just didn't realize it??? Much like Brady. Not too many QBs that I know of have come in and done what he has in their first few starts, much less as a rookie...albeit his OC/HC have a lot to do with it. He's very impressive to me. Understandably, it's hard to say what he actually is w/o seeing him in somebody like Canada's system.. It's hard to say what Brady would have been w/o J. McDaniels/Belichek so maybe that's irrelevant.

That being said. I hope Pickett is taking notice and this is somewhat humbling to him. It has to cross his mind with seeing the success that Purdy has IS IT HIM with the lack of success that he has had, or is it Canada? I hope his response is really well thought out when he's asked about how comfortable he is with him as a coordinator. I don't know if there is a most improved player in the NFL, but I feel Kenny needs to be in the running for that reward come next year this time in order for anybody to feel comfortable with him going forward.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    mahomes didn’t play bad in that sb. He made several plays during the game that had you like wow but just didn’t have his troops coming along with him. Had at least3 dropped tds. He can’t throw the ball to himself.

not comparing mahomes to Purdy. Hell no. Even though Steve young did in fact do that lol https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/steve-young-praises-brock-purdy-17697883.php

but no mahomes is in a class by himself. He’s far and away the best in the league. It’s like mj or lebron in their prime vs their peers. Just not fair. But I’m comparing how one guy made the offense look a lot more explosive than the next. Purdy already has thrown for more yards in a playoff game than any other niners qb and has already matched in 1 game jimmy Gs career td output. It’s clear he’s good and better than jimmy g and it’s not just the system. Not saying he’d be doing this anywhere but he’s clearly showing his individual ability.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I've only watched Jones play 4-5 times. He has football smarts. I actually think they could shock the Eagles and be playing in the NFCCG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    49's Shanahan is in 5th year of building his team and he his great chance of winning SB.
    • He had been an NFL OC since 2008 before becoming a HC in 2017.
    I was also impressed with Dolphins McDaniel who is in his 1st year and gave the Bills a battle with a Qb was the 2nd to last pick in the draft, right before Purdy.
    • McDaniel has been an NFL coach in NFL since 2011, his last five years including one as OC under Shanahan.
    And then there's Matt Canada, who had no NFL experience until he came to Steelers in 2020.
    • Who's been mentoring Canada? Why did Steelers fast track him?

• Like Like x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    so did mahomes so why didn’t the chiefs get rid of mahomes after the sub for making coastlines mistakes like you claim the miners thought with jimmy g? So that didn’t cost the niners the game. Brady has thrown multiple picks in the sb numerous times lol. Guess he’s a costly mistake maker right? That doesn’t equate to making a costly mistake which is what you said.

I do think Purdy is special thus far. I can’t put a comp on who he reminds me of but I do see special from him. Not mahomes special. Mahomes is not just special he’s transcendent. Generational or what ever is equal to the rarest of rare. But before mahomes even played a game they were ready to move on from Alex. Yes Alex played good but again he like jimmy g couldn’t make the big play to take you there. I can see Purdy making some crazy 30 yard bomb or something on a big drive. Jimmy g or Alex smith wasn’t doing that.

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct

we have avg coaches, built to be a .500 team. an OC with zero talent and creativity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Common thread and issue is Tomlin,

Given that we leave in the now, all we can hope for is to change Tomlin. That’s the lesson learned from history.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Purdy is not Mahomes. It is laughable to suggest that. He doesn't have that sort of arm talent. That doesn't mean he can't be very good but come on.

No, I don't think Pickett is sitting there thinking he is the reason the Steelers' offense isn't as good as the 49ers, nor should he.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are high school quarterbacks who could hit some of the long throws Purdy is making. Guys are that wide-open, and Samuel's touchdown was actually less than 10 yards down the field and the rest was YAC.

Don't get me wrong. The kid looks good, but some of the takes on this thread are just comical.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I agree. The guy is good, but he ain't close to Mahomes.

Maybe it's because people here aren't used to seeing a well coached team play a solid play off game and win it running away. So it looks too shiny to people.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Purdy is the next Mahomes, then congrats to San Fran for having the foresight to pass on him until the very last pick of the draft, and then take him. I think he’s looked good, but check the stats that someone posted on P1 of this thread. Those stats say that he did pretty much all of his damage throwing to receivers with 5+ yards of separation. I don’t know if those numbers are precise, but that’s sure the way it looked to me. His guys were WIDE open, largely due to scheming and partly due to them being really good players. It will be interesting to see how he performs when/if they play a defense that can handle their running game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m picking the Giants over Philly.

• Like Like x 4
  14. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Maybe people are thinking less about arm talent and more about vision, pocket awareness, and field IQ. So maybe in one sense he's not, but in another sense he is. It's not always black and white as you make it to be.

15. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

:roflmao:

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Arm talent is what makes Mahomes special. He certainly has those other things, but so do other guys who can't make the throws Mahomes can make. It is a foolish comparison, especially after so few games.

17. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Calm down ace. On draft days they do this all the time. When someone is selected they say this person is comparable to so and so. Doesn't mean its correct, but it's not foolish either, because all their stating is that it reminds them of someone. Draftees havent even played a lick of preseason ball yet, but you know where the analysts are coming from. Same thing going on here. Take a breather for once from thinking you're the smartest guy in the room all the time. You're right in the sense he may not have the arm talent, but maybe he hasnt had to show the arm talent up to this point (as seems to be the case from the pass completion chart someone posted) so you dont really know that either. It may also be true that he may come out sucking balls come next season so consistency is key, but I think everybody understands that also.

• Like Like x 2
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Re-visit this thread after the Niners play Dallas or that 8-9 team with ahole QB. Gotta suck being 12-5 and on the road against 8-9 team but them the rules.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It may have been the elbow initially, but it really went downhill after the hit he took to the knees. They knew he could carve them up, but was not stepping into his throws. Stop the run and sit on the routes.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets face it, our offense is not receiver friendly. hasn't been for some time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am perfectly calm, but I also know a foolish comparison when I see one. You should have stopped at agreeing with me that Purdy doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes. He doesn't. That is a poor comparison.

22. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    ...it's only a bad comparison because you say it is. I noticed people couldnt even have an opinion about how a Bills -Steelers matchup would have played out w/o you rushing in and saying it wouldnt happen that way just because you say so. You're a narcissistic piece of work.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When you rely on ad hominem attacks to make your argument, you know you have lost.

When you want to compare a guy six games into his career to a generational talent well on his way to a Hall of Fame resume despite the fact that an eye test by anybody who knows something about Mahomes would tell you they are very different, well, that's just funny stuff.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont see anything from Purdy that reminds me of Brady or Mahomes.

So far the guy has not had much of a change from college to pros, his receivers are still college open and he hasn’t been under duress which he doesn’t handle well at all.

Wait until those windows shrink and someone gets a pass rush on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Truth hurts?? And what argument was lost? I havent made one comparison. I asked a question of a person and you insinuated that it was a comparison. I simply kept playing the game since you like to jump to conclusions. Also to be clear Mahomes didn't even become the Mahomes we know til his second season in the league...people acting like they knew what Mahomes was the whole time straight out of college. Even the people that drafted/scouted knew he was a good QB, but I highly doubt they anticipated what he has turned into today.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023