1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s not being discussed enough for you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Jan 16, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For me it’s the back up outside pass rusher.

Nothing needs to be said how great Watt is. Highsmith is exactly what we need as a Robin roll to TJ’s Batman.

But we’ve all seen this teams record when TJ is out and we know missing significant time and an injury is always very possible.

So, this position is NOT getting the talk as a major roster spot to fill enough because there are so many other holes to fill or depth positions to bolster. Sure our starters are in place but this position should be considered a starter roll part B because of rotation; never mind starting if one of these guys needs significant games off.

Melvin Ingram seemed to be exactly what I think they needed if only they can be more transparent and get a vet player to buy into a clear understanding of the roll.

We need to spend high draft capital to future full time starting positions and with so few picks and and needs even later rounds need a similar perspective.

This position and back up QB need to be the primary focus starting right now.

Thoughs and opinions?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I keep looking at my watch asking why Canada hasn't been kicked. I understand the steeler way of not getting rid of anyone except for a sure bet. However there is a few out there.

Furthermore drag next season with Canada and it'll hurt Kenny to evolving.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Because "Firing Matt Canada" hasn't been covered at all on the board. Barely a mention. Hard pressed to find more than 51, 52 threads on the topic.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree in theory, but should the Steelers put draft capital into an edge rusher before inside linebacker? Ideally there is a Chad Brown-type out there that could play inside, but move to the outside as needed.

• Like Like x 3
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I've been beating that drum after watching Watt go down and them having not even serviceable replacements.

They need to grab one in the draft as I indicated the 3rd round for a target. A role player, hungry, to spell and if one goes down the result will be at least above the line.

The Ingram thing was handled wrong as the whispering in his ear was he could compete to be a starter. So he felt he was duped and was jettisoned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    flores leaving and jerry olsavsky being our only LB coach. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Cap Space- How our over priced defense is going to cost us some key FA and prevent us from some talented FA….

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There’s no punt/kickoff return threat.
    There’s not much of any good field position starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I actually didn't think Tuszka was that bad as a back up in a pinch. I thought it was a mistake to get rid of him. Malik Reed is a keeper though, I thought he played well.

Ingram was an above average pass rusher, but I don't think they cared for his run defense abilities. I think that might actually be more important in a back up OLB ... run defense and setting the edge.

It seems like a position that is difficult to address in free agency. Most guys who are decent want to get paid like a starter, best bet is to get lucky in the draft.

I think one thing that we are suffering from is every year there is a new back up OLB. If we can get a guy who can be the back up for a number of years and learn all the ins and outs of the position it would be better for us in the long run.

This year, Leal was sort of doing a little back up OLB duty, but I think he should bulk up and stay as a DE.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Why not let Leal play a hybrid DE/OLB... like Suggs did with the Ravens? Ravens ran a 4-3 and a 3-4 and Suggs was able to plug and play whichever role was needed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don’t think the team has the same view of Reed as you do…. He was a healthy scratch the last few games. Tuszka was decent against the run, but had very little pass rush game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My hill to die on is I think we need an anchor in the middle of the defensive line.

If you want to say the NT position is dead, fine, don't call it a NT ... but we still need dude in the middle who is gonna lock things down.

Neither Ogunjobi and Adams locked down the position in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He isn’t fired

There also has been no comment he is coming back

I think the whole staff is still being evaluated

Anyone still on the staff at the senior bowl Is here to stay for another year

• Like Like x 2
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If Pickett wants Canada to remain as OC.... he will be the OC in '23. People here need to get over it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    Why would we kick Canada he helped keep Tomlin's streak alive, plus he almost got us to the one game tournament that leads to the confetti game.

16. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe this could be Austin

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yes! I said that about Tuszka on here and people thought I was crazy.

18. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

I've been worried about this also

I've just gone over the number but didn't looks into any "clean up" that could be done, have you?
    By clean up i mean cuts and restructure.

Quick look at over the cap
    William jackson could be clean cut ~ 12
    Mitch ~ 8
    Witherspoon ~4
    Cam restructure ~7

There is some wiggle room I think.

19. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I highly doubt they will let their rookie QB make a decision of that magnitude. Ask input, maybe....

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

They are not going to let a kid who is still learning the offense decide who is running the offense

21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

When is the last time you heard an employer announce they were keeping an employee?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    They did use him that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Reed was pretty terrible. A backup and/or heir to Left side is definitely a need.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Point but there has been so much speculation I would think they would want to put an end to the distraction

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I don’t think the Steelers concern themselves too much with what the talking heads are saying. Nor should they. Same goes for the fans. It isn’t exactly unusual for fans to scream for the heads of coaches and coordinators.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1