1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Bush done?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    2000 - 2022
    23 Picks, 22 players drafted
    11 pro bowlers
    1 hall of famer (Troy)
    1 traded for Fitz
    1 SB MVP
    4 busts (Bush, Jones, Hood, Burns)
    Plus other possibly future hall of famers in Fitz, Heyward, Watt, Ben, Pouncy and additional boarder line guys in DeCastro, Hampton.

1980 - 1999
    21 players drafted
    5 pro bowlers
    2 hall of famers
    12+ busts

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes they have.

Jones
    Burns
    Edmunds
    Bush

Edmunds is a serviceable player...but nowhere near worthy of a 1st round pick.

Dupree was also a disappointment until his last 2 seasons for Steelers. He is arguably not worthy of a 1st round pick.

3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    so long i've had enough Bush at the end of the universe

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Someone will think they can coach him and make him better and sign him

Although that didn’t work for Edmunds

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Massive ramifications.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That does not mean they were busts. Big difference.

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Apples and Oranges with Bush and Edmunds. Bush was a Top 15 pick on most draft cards the year he came out, while Edmunds may not have even been in the Top 50 players on some team's draft board.

It will be curious to see if Flores takes Busch with him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    We reached for Edmunds in the draft.

He was pegged as a really good athlete, but a project, prior to the draft.

I'd say he's improved on par to his draft analysis. Unfortunately, we took him way too early and that put the 1st round production expectation on him, from fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s exciting to see who replaces him.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Jack Campbell please!!

Hell, last time the Steelers took a "Jack"... it turned out pretty good! Not saying Campbell is a HOF Player but he is a greater improvement over Bush haha.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    On a more serious note though, I suspect the Steelers will either gun for Tremaine Edmunds or opt for a ILB in the draft. At this point, it will not surprise me to see Trenton Simpson be the Steelers First Pick at this point. I am still holding out hope for Jack Campbell.... but given how little Pittsburgh pays attention to Iowa Players.... I am better off guessing on someone from Clemson haha.

12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Ouch, don't remind us. Artie Burns was probably worse than Bush, though Bush was drafted much higher.

Getting tired of drafting measurables guys and not production guys. Get the CB that actually WAS a shutdown corner in college, not the guy that has the tools TO BE a shutdown corner one day.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I mean... the guys that can be instant impact Shutdown CBs are usually gone by the time the Steelers pick. This year though could be different... but that will depend on how not just the combine but also FA shapes out.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, with the Steelers. Some sucker will overpay for him though.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d be more than happy with that and with the limited draft picks I could see this happening.

Continue building the brothers team!

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Plus his first name is actually Fe'Zahn, The Steelers need a Fe'Zahn on the roster.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks for reviving a memory I thought was Dead, Burned, and buried…… thanks

Seriously, Bush is the better player. Not only should Huey not been drafted but the fact he was is evidence to the total disarray the Org was in. Long tenured Haley was out and Donahoe’s 1st season, Noll was hanging on past his time. The team had a very poor draft Board. In the 1st rd with only 3 picks in front of them they had 3 players they wanted, all 3 were taken and they had no idea who to draft, panicked and right before their 15 min time slot ran out they picked Huey. After the season Noll finally retired, they hired Cowher and he wanted to cut Huey, so the team was able to trade him for a 7th rd pick……. A few years later Cowher was able to out maneuver Donahoe and he was out.

Painful times it was………

Again the team was panicking, Shazier was out and the team Desperately Needed an ILB and since D. White was taken the team traded away 3 high picks to move up to # 10 to get Bush. That was a heavy price to pay for any player. At that price the expectations are much much higher, at the VERY least he should be a multiple pro bowler. At least he did make it to his 4th year without being cut.

A Quick side note: this brought back memories of another draft, again we Needed ILB and Patrick Willis was taken… we didn’t panic because their were still 2 quality ILB left, Benson and Timmons, and we chose the wrong one again, this time We took Timmons who wasn’t a bad pick, just not the better pick.

Also: Again at ILB there was a need so again in the First Rd we didn’t panicked because when our time had arrived we had two choices, Ryan Shazier or CJ Mosley and again we chose the wrong LB. No knock on Shazier, very very good But Mosley was Better.

Why all this History being reviewed, because , AGAIN , we are in Need of ILB And we don’t have a great recent History of making the BEST Decisions. We do have new Front Office Personnel so hopefully we Solve this issue. We must Build in the draft since we have ZERO cap space !!!!!

Cajun

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he has almost ruined my love of bush. almost. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    May not be busts…….. how about Whiffs!!!

Cajun

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Exactly. They rushed to replace and made a majorly wrong decision.

Turn the page, the mistake is gone.

I wouldn't use the 1st round pick on an ILBer. I feel they will look at corner or left guard or tackle in the 1st unless they can sign Sutton. Maybe one of the 2nd rounders.

Miles Jack is scheduled to make 11,250.000 in 23 with a dead cap of 3,250.000. I feel they will extend him. If not that's two years in a row releasing a Jags ILBer that was signed. Also they will probably bring back Spillane. Robinson although raw will only get better. Add a draft pick to the mix.

Tremaine Edmonds is going to cost a kings ransom and I feel Buffalo will resign him.

Plus they are i'm sure going to try to extend Highsmith and if they sign Sutton it's going to eat up cap.

Lots of scenarios going forward for Khan and Weidl in their first draft.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Got to be talking about Ian Malcom, the chaos theory mathematician, right?
    I've seen him in a car gloating " oh I'm always on the lookout for the next ex Mrs Malcom."

22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That Beer Sucks

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bush is already posting cryptic tweets about his next team, something about how it’d be nice to play for a former NFL player. Bush is a pretty boy punk who is afraid to get his hands dirty. He’s been our biggest bust since Jarvis Jones and is arguably a bigger bust since the Steelers traded up to get him giving up precious draft capital in the process. He’s a wimp who’s afraid of contact and he can’t be gone soon enough as far I’m concerned!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A whiff means that they did absolutely nothing aka bust.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Unfortunately he’s probably done with the steelers