1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Canada do enough?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by THREE RIVER SHIVER, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m ok with it if they get him help. Not everything he did was bad, mostly needs help in the passing attack.

They did close out the season winning 6 of 8. There is something there to build on. Don’t get me wrong, I much rather bring in an established OC but I’m not hopeful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    The main issue is that his schemes do not get wrs open at all. Every pass is contested by a defender because scheme sucks. Back shoulder pass can’t be only consistent pass play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What was crazy is all of a sudden in the 2nd half of the season they started running the ball with authority and the trickster plays decreased. I feel Canada was told by Tomlin. And I also feel that Meyer and Sullivan had a hand in it.

I also believe that Canada is coming back unfortunately. It makes sense to bring someone in if they retain him to "help". The ones that are in the know have seen time and time again that either coaches or players are retained until the contract is over in most cases. Plus he was a Tomlin hire. Hopefully this helper concentrates on the passing attack and lack of red zone success. We shall see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Four games into the playoffs and we've had a million points scored with receivers running wide open all over the field. Canada needs to GTFO. Of course, I've been saying all year he'll come back, because, Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly how does scheme get a receiver open

Does it make them quicker or faster

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Nah just makes where they’re going less predictable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How

It’s real left right down the field give or take

If you can get open you can

If you can’t you can’t

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There's more to it than that. Scheme can absolutely get a receiver open.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And I will ask again

How

10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I absolutely think the correct scheme can get receivers open. Especially in zone coverage. Using the correct route tree to clear an area so an underneath route is left open is an example. One on one, yes it's on the receiver to get himself open. I saw plenty of receivers running wide open today and I have a hard time thinking that was all just the receiver running a great route

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I hear ya but there is something to scheming people open… usually running multiple plays out of same formations… they struggle with that here. I hate to echo players and talking heads but it’s been known for a while. I’m an execution usually wins regardless kinda guy but the Xs and Os have changed even if the new blue prints require execution as well.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We will have to agree to disagree here

13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Easily. Great play design will break a player wide open. I have coached football and hoops my whole life. I have called many a game at levels 9th grade and below.

It is all about getting the defense to go where you want them to go. If it's a zone defense, you flood it. This means putting more players in that zone than the defense can cover. If it's man, it is all about picks, misdirection, confusion.

The point is perfectly timed calls based on which defense a team is in will break a guy wide open. Canada has not been good at this IMO.

I am coaching another season of hoops right now. I tell my kids all the time...." My job is to put you in a position to get open shots, the rest is up to you". Football is no different.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    He did enough to keep Tomlin's personal streak alive so I think he is safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Weird. Last year the Patriots did not have an Offensive or Defensive Coordinator. I don't know why a team would choose not to have Coordinators. I guess this is a way Bill can completely run the show.

Offensive Coordinator position was vacated last year when Josh McDaniels left
    Defensive Coordinator positioin was vacated in 2018 when Matt Patricia left.

Patriots want to keep de facto DC Jerod Mayo but not Matt Patricia's play-calling (yahoo.com)
    The Patriots are unique in the NFL in that they played this season without an offensive or defensive coordinator. The first position opened after former offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels left to become head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders last offseason, and the defensive coordinator spot has been formally vacant since Matt Patricia left in 2018.

17. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That’s fine I don’t agree with myself all the time either. Tuesdays are usually better for myself and i

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll wait for Tuesday for the rest of the sentence

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Scheme get wrs open by the route combinations. A mesh route run earlier in giant biking game had a mesh route in side and a second wr stopped in the middle and was wide open. The 49ers do cool pass plays out of play action. The Vikings did good read routes where the te did a flat and of covered turned it up to a wheel and caught three nice long passes out of it. By looking at the Steelers plays by Canada. We have a two yard hitch. A back shoulder and fade by te in middle. All done

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    oh hell where we’re I? Hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  21. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I promise you though there’s some chess going on that schemes people open much less schemes em wherever the hell they are or aint. Kudos to the scheme that gets to exploit the attributes of speed etc… should they have them.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

I’m drunk as well

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No. No one did enough. There was no Playoff game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Maybe? Maybe? LOL

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers were on or near the bottom in virtually every offensive category this season. Their offensive underperformance has now spanned two seasons and three quarterbacks (Ben, Mitch and Kenny). The common denominator is Canada. He’s somewhat of a laughingstock around the league with players talking about how they run the same plays over and over and certain analysts talking about his “Saturday” playbook. I think the defense was the primary reason we won 6 out of 8 games to close out the season. That and a couple of phenomenal drives by Kenny at the end of the Raiders and Ravens games. I don’t see how the Steelers can retain Canada’s services for another season given his failures the last two years. The third year will not be the charm and I fear it could hinder the development of several young players who have great potential. Time to fire Canada and get a bright, offensive mind in there to work with this talented offensive group.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1