1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Purdy was getting a little too creative yesterday.
    There were some scrambles and throws he probably shouldn’t have tried.

You could easily say he throws a few INTs and loses the next Playoff game if he keeps that up.
    A game they shouldn’t lose.

Someone needs to let some air out of his head and reset him.

I think they have the staff to get him balanced.

• Like Like x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Wentz looked like a god in a similar system. How did that work out?

/edit or was it goff? Makes no difference the point remains

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know what you are trying to say, but Goff's last 2 years with the Lions statistically have been pretty good, with an organization and team that traditionally have not had much talent. Not saying he is top tier, but has been pretty stable. Wentz on the other hand, well 'nuff said.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Purdy is in the same situation. A very qb friendly first read offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Everybody missed on Purdy but the 9ers, and they got lucky. As the last pick in the draft, they weren't projecting much potential either. This wasn't like the Dan Marion whiff.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah but

That guy is better known for his food review postings

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, Wentz looked good early with a strong Eagles roster and Peterson, and Goff actually made it to a Super Bowl before clenching up in the biggest game and showing who he really is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Ours is run, jet sweep, pAss, punt! How hard can it be?

9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    SF has great coaching so this is apples to oranges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I know you are new to football so I will try to help you

First your statement is blatantly false and you could have found correct information on Google if you had done your homework

When under center 81.1% of Pickett’s passes were play action

As to why the don’t run more read here

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/12/increased-playaction-kenny-picketts-biggest-learning-curve/

See isn’t learning fun

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    upload_2023-1-15_11-14-44.jpeg

12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

Stick to the script. Pickett is terrible

• Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What head is on top of that Marshall cabinet?

14. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Peterson might be getting there also

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Niners offensive game planning is NFL caliber unlike what we have.

And low and behold the Happy Trickster will be back i'm sure.

Great hire by the head coach! Can't let him go because he has another year on his contract!

Purdy is playing behind a Juggernaut. Pickett is playing behind Fisher Price.

Anyone with eyes can see Pickett settled in and will be the long term starter going forward.

Hopefully Canada and Tomlin don't ruin him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    So with all the belly aching with Pickett, what is your solution? Trade Pickett at end of season and see what Steelers can get for him and then either:
    • Bring in $150-200 million contract FA QB
    • Start Mitch or Mason
    • Get a QB in the later rounds of the 2023 draft

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Right. So any QB would suffice. No need to draft a great one just bring in any QB and plug him in and viola! You have a great QB. Any ole QB would look like a God. Don't credit Purdy with any skill at all. He's simply out there allowing the system to work through him. I don't know why I missed that! How about giving the kid some credit for playing great football? Why we can't have that kind of coaching here? Because we surely don't have it. I think Pickett is going to be a very good QB. See? I give him credit. He's going to be our starter for a long time. Right now Purdy is playing better that's all. You can't deny the kid has skills. But then again it's just the system

18. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Purdy sure does look calm. It's easy to do when a QB doesn't face much pressure and he hasn't. I think comparing Pickett and Purdy is apples and oranges situationally. Let's see Purdy under the gun with the game on the line and he needs a TD with not very much time. Purdy has top class play calling that puts him in the best place to make safe effective throws. A lot of what I saw yesterday was 8 yard passes that his playmakers took for chunk yardage after the catch. His deep passes were not on. When he did get pressure on the play action roll outs he didn't look so good. San Frans receivers were so wide open for most of that game it was pretty incredible. Purdy us fairly accurate short to intermediate and is athletic and calm. He's faced no adversity though. Kenny Pickett would look at least as good, although I think he would be better.

19. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Did you see how wide open his WRs were running yesterday? How many game winning drives has Purdy had to engineer? The kid is playing well, in a real live grown up offense with a non-idiotic OC with a who's who for offensive talent that has produced successful QBs no matter who is in there. Congrats to him and SF. Put him in our offense and situation and you would see a far different product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That's because of our coaching staff. I posit to you that not just any QB would thrive in that system. I think Pickett would but not just any QB., Why is it so hard for people here to give the kid credit. He's the last pick in the draft and he's playing extremely well. I guess I'll just leave this post and repeat the mantra that it's only the system. Only the system. Only the system. and on and on

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree the kid is playing well , but I also think it's mostly the system play design and execution from all.. So yes the QB deserves credit for play faking correctly using good foot work and making accurate throws .. He is not being asked to do to much , but what he is being asked to do he is executing it , I am with you on that part..

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how would you like to be the LA chargers this morning? wow what a total collapse. :cool:

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    What I’m saying is people like you that are all over his jock were the same ones all over wentz’s jock a few years ago. You’ll ***** and moan about the Steelers and how they missed and when he turns out to be yet another flash in the pan you’ll conveniently get amnesia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Hate the way that ref inserted himself into the game

• Winner Winner x 1