1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugh…Purdy or Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Jan 14, 2023.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid are offensive guru's. Their schemes are next level.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Steelers O never does play action. Who knows why....

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The better comparison would be this season, and the 49ers won Garoppolo's last four starts before he got hurt and he put up some outstanding numbers in those games. (I'm not counting the game in which he was injured, which they also won.)

I'm sure you don't want to hear about supporting cast and coaching because those things don't work for your argument.

Nobody said the quarterback doesn't matter, but that you don't understand the difference an offensive system makes or a supporting cast makes just shows how little you understand.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I don't see that as of yet about teams passing on Pickett. To quote someone from the last Ravens/Steelers game thread where Kenny looked bad once again for 3/4 of the game.

"how do we know if Pickett is bad or if it’s all on Canada?"

Kenny never had one game (I felt) where he looked good during the whole game. He did greatly improve with the turnover bug, but that just brought him up to the level of game manager to me. He only had one game over 300 yards and he had a pick in that game. He didnt have one multi pass td game in 12 starts. Brock Purdy has had 7 in 7 starts. I'm just not convinced he's the next one for the Steelers just yet, but can only hope at this point.

Above all else, I hope Tomlin watched that game today and realized how putrid this offense is in comparison to the 49ers regardless of the weapons they have and is seriously considering a change at OC.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why can't our WR's run wide open? 10 times in a playoff game. It is by design and Steelers need to study this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    garopollo threw only 1 td over 20 yards down field. Purdy had thrown 4 prior to yesterday. The offense was avg 33 ppl with purdy and only 26 ppg with jimmy g.

Also no one said wins. It’s a reason the niners with all the WINNING success jimmy g had went to trey lance. Because there’s nothing special about jimmy G. He’s just average. Doesn’t make any explosive plays. He’s another Alex smith. While purdy is actually making plays and not just game managing. That’s the difference.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    yes because supporting cast doesn’t totally dictate if a good qb looks trash. I’m not praising purdy just cause they’re winning. I’m looking at how he’s PLAYING. Stafford had seasons throwing for 5000 yards and 41 tds. He wasn’t good just cause the rams. That’s why the rams traded a first round pick for him. You don’t trade a first round pick for a veteran qb who already isn’t good.

Drew Brees made the pro bowl with chargers and next yr got injured then went to NO. He was trending in the right direction already and the chargers actually still wanted Brees back but he didn’t agree with their offer.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    exactly he looks like a game manager. Nothing he did wowed you or jumped off the screen. He looks like another jimmy g. He can look pretty good when everything else around him is great but the special ones perform regardless of what’s going on.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I did not get a pass, can I go into the rest room or do I go in my pants? you hall monitors are so annoying. lmao

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Trevor Lawrence for the Jags was drafted high. KP has far more going for him than Trevor. That comparison makes me really happy with KP. Also, let's see how Purdy performs when some top ranked defenses smell rookie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny has been improving week to week and will be a great QB. Purdy is in a system that is not like our org. He has far more weapons, support and better overall coaching. Some people act like Kenny is not going to get better. he is trending upward and imho will continue to do so. The kid has the IT factor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly

13. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I should have checked the score before I posted. I turned the game off after the first quarter. However, in my defense, Trevor's second and third picks were God awful and I don't see KP making those throws.

14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

The second interception was not awful because it was on fourth down.....

15. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    The very idea of crowning BP after 10 games is utter ridiculousness. Same thing with waiting till the 7th round to find your franchise QB.

KP has shown progression, leadership, poise, confidence, command, and abilities of making nfl throws plus a moderate/basic understanding of defenses.

Will he be a franchise qb and future hall of fame? We shall see but I am enjoying watching it unfold!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Maybe our org should be more like their org? Purdy has been amazing for the last pick in the draft. Hard to understand why people can't see that? Kenny was picked in the first round. I agree with them having MUCH better coaching and play calling. What would Kenny look like in that system?

17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    you beat the team that you're playing. That's the way of the NFL. I'm happy with Pickett as our QB. But to look at the success that Purdy is having to me is just amazing. If you can't recognize that I don't know what to say to you.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jimmy G is the one who took them to the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl, so I'll ignore that. I'll add that they were also 8-3 under Jimmy G, so it's not like it was a team on the downslide that was rescued.
    And Trey Lance was that draft's Malik Willis. A lot of hype but not much actual evidence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    If you say you are not trying to hall monitor you are trying to hall monitor or else you wouldn’t mention it. One Glenn is all we need :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    You make a valid point on down and distance. That's one reason I like this message board. By and large most posters are knowledgeable and even keeled. We may slightly disagree on that particular throw. I agree with you to throw as Cosby used to say "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take". I still think that particular decision was flawed because as I recall It was a likely pick, they gave up some yardage, and it could have turned into a bigger return.

• Like Like x 1
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

It started with that play design ..The Defense had to respect the fake to be able to stop the run then it was a half boot to help the OL and protect the QB .After that Aiyuk took his guy on that side semi deep and Kittle about 10 yards back and then Deebo beat his man and came open running to the sideline,, This is Important as no would be tacklers from that side at this point it becomes sweep left .. Kittle has the pursuit which he gets and Aiyuk has the lead block and to seal the corner which he gets .. The rest is history ring it up ..

This is a simple High School play but executed perfectly with all the right guys running the correct routes with the proper NFL spacing ...

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    By criteria that you seem to favor, there’s no way Brock Purdy should be able to do what he’s doing. Some official combine numbers: 6’1” 212, 4.84 40, 27” vertical. Hell, I was never even a borderline pro caliber athlete and I was faster and more explosive than that. So how can this be?

Oh by the way, when Jimmy G. was hurt he had a 103 passer rating, 67% completions and 16 TDS vs 4 Ints on the season. About the same as Purdy. And if you think Garappalo is overrated, I agree. I did not want him when the trade buzz was circulating about him. He’s a system QB in a system that has been amazingly QB friendly and is on a loaded team. I think Purdy has played good ball, but he has been put in a perfect situation by having a solid line, a great run game and weapons galore. When Brandon Aiyuk is your 3rd or 4th option, you’ve got serious weapons. There’s no way to really compare Pickett to Purdy yet because Pickett walked into a very rough situation by comparison.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The 9ers and Purdy’s success speaks to how well the roster is constructed across the board on both sides of the ball. Purdy playing behind the Steelers offense this year would look like Duck Hodge’s.

I like the kid and he’s balling out. But I’ll say what I’ve said in other posts when talking about Shanahan as OC vs Canada as OC. I saw a lot of open receivers that an avaerage Nfl QB should hit for completions. Purdy is asked to make 2 maybe 3 high level nfl throws a game. He’s schemed a lot of layups. His best throw was to the corner of the end zone in the 4th on their last drive but it was dropped. Down side to that throw is he took a lot of risk and got blasted. His body type won’t last taking hits like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1