1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benz is spot on today...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4tim, Jan 10, 2023.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    No I’m saying if they win a playoff game again with MT I will admit I was wrong and you guys were right. Wonder if you will all ever do the same when he doesn’t? Doubtful

I know it’s not all MT the players play assistant coaches coach front office makes moves. It’s a total organizational failure.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Just curious, what will I be admitting I was wrong about?

3. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Mike Tomlin leading this team to glory.

I don’t want to bicker back and forth it’s all good brother. We can agree to disagree on this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    We live in a different world where if you do your job over 51% of the time correctly you get to keep it. Mediocrity is alive and well in the burgh

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Just for clarification, I never said he would. I'm just not going to make the absolute statement that he will never win another playoff game with the Steelers, as many others on this board have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't see it that way, quite the opposite.

7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Lot of hatred going on in this thread (and mostly this board) for MT. Some of it is warranted. After all, if the standard is the standard and we haven't sniffed a playoff win in a while - who's ultimately responsible? Should he shoulder 100% of the burden? Absolutely not. But he is primarily responsible for the product that is put on the field week after week, season after season. And, as someone here has pointed out - there's always an excuse for why things didn't quite work out the way we expected. How long can that go on before we have to correct the pattern? Surely, we just can't be that lightning-struck that MT isn't deserving of at least an eyebrow-raise when looking at our results?

Success. It's an eye-of-the-beholder term in some cases. In sports - ehhhh. Not so much. Wins are wins. And success in the NFL is about getting to the playoffs and (hopefully) winning as often as you can. When I look at this season under a microscope, and given the variables that were tossed into the formula (TJ's injury, QB issues/rookie QB, Boz inconsistency, etc), it's easy for me to say I was impressed by the turnaround. Truly. But was it a success? In the small scope of what we accomplished with those variables - sure...maybe. If I factor in what I said in the first paragraph about the pattern that has developed (regardless whom may be at fault), it's hard for me to say it was. After all, 9-8 isn't what I would call a rousing success. And lest we forget - without the extra game this season, we were actually 8-8. That's success?

I get what the writer of the article is saying. Not sure I completely agree with the tone, but he does have a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did I say it made Me right???:shrug:
    I simply said I agree with 2. Should I explain that further???
    Hmmm....talent is only what You say it is???:shrug:
    Giants lost 5 games out of their last 8, and also one was a tie.
    So 2 wins ,and a tie in the last 8 games.
    Their only wins came to the..colts(who We beat), and the Washington whatevers. Yeah awesome coaching.:thumbs_up:

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is exactly it. :this!:

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    After the bye week the Steelers went 7-2. Average?

Can't wait to see how this turns out next year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If the average of everyone doing their job on time correctly is 50%, year in and year out, and never has a hope of changing, then yeah, at 51% you get to keep your job. When it's actually 63.6%, and never been below 50%, why is anyone complaining? When only 2 people with 4+ years experience have a better percentage than you, then yeah, you get to keep your job.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    So basically Tomlin is like a weatherman. :hehehe::hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Why is an opposing view and criticism considered hatred?
    Maybe I'm missing examples of what I consider hatred, I don't read every sentence of every post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Parity would probably make Vegas even richer. It seems even with a salary cap some teams always stink it up. I am glad the NFL is not run like MLB. 200 million dollar payroll teams have little trouble with 40 million dollar payroll teams. Beat em Bucs;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Andy Reid did win in Philly and was loved by the fans. He'd probably have a few SB's there if McNabb's receivers could have caught the passes he threw right in their gut.

16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm far from an expert and I'm not being a homer but on paper I'd say the Steelers were the better team a lot of those years we flopped. IMO if Bill Belicrap or a few others were HC the last 12 years with same players the outcome would have been different in some of those Playoff loses and we'd have gone further in Playoffs. Generally, I find it odd young men making those kind of dollars would need any type of motivation to excel but some do.

I'm pretty neutral on Tomlin. None of us have any idea what a new HC would bring to the table. Could be better also could be worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    start 7-2 finish off 2-6. It's Tomlin man it's the standard.

18. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    This franchise has struggled mightily in the postseason against teams with bona-fide franchise QBs. Look at the history.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/playoffs.htm

Since winning the Super Bowl in 2008 and taking down Philip Rivers, Joe Flacco, and Kurt Warner in the process.. the only other franchise QB we've beaten in the postseason was once again Joe Flacco, in 2010. Aside from Joe (who never was a superstar QB), we've beaten Mark Sanchez, AJ McCarron (thanks to some major good fortune), Matt Moore, and Alex Smith (all 18 pts from Boswell). That's it. Our losses to Blake Bortles, Tim Tebow, and Baker Mayfield are equally embarrassing. Other QBs we lost to were Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, and washed up Manning (although we did play well enough to win that day, just too many injuries and an untimely fumble).

In summary, we haven't been truly "elite" in a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    IMHO, Tomlin will likely win another playoff game. Super Bowl? Chances are very slim to none.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I meant he would have won a superbowl had he stayed. In Philly Andy Reid did not win a superbowl and played in 1. They were the JV Bills losing all those conference championships. I'm going to have to question loved by the fans. I will say he is now loved by fans, but they were done with him. I live in the philthy area, so I hear the radio shows and all my friends are philthy fans.

I know sometimes stats are hard to grasp as they don't lie or have biases and I'm not specifically saying this about you, but Tomlin has a .636 win % compared to Reid's of .583 in Philthy. One seems to be better than the other, but Reid is touted as better. Granted his career with the Chiefs has vaulted him over Tomlin, but Tomlin has done better in Pitt than Reid did in Philthy whether it was with his players or Cowhers players.

• Like Like x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I love how y’all forget minor, yet hugely important details. Little things like Ben spotting the browns 28 points. Of course that’s The coach’s fault.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    The D was horrendous that game don’t even try and blame that all on Ben to defend your boy. To be fair Ben was not good in the first quarter and it was a snowball effect.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Do you have any idea what the odds of winning are when you turn the ball over 4 times? Let’s not forget we turned the ball over 4 times in the first quarter but, but, but Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Maybe they should have ran more instead.

I find all of the excuses for defending Tomlin/coaches very funny. Somehow Tomlin has managed to turn the fan base to love mediocrity and come up with any excuse to absolve blame away onto players.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Yeah that’s it! You nailed it. Way to go genius your parents should be proud.