1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benz is spot on today...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4tim, Jan 10, 2023.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You're right the Steelers should fire the entire coaching staff and start over. At least you will finally get that #1 overall pick you've been dreaming of.:rolleyes:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    NE
    KC
    SF
    Buffalo
    Seattle
    Philly

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022
    That's good stuff! :thumbs_up:

#firetomlin

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. Marked. I actually agree with 2 of them, but only 2.
    You do know one of those didn't make the playoffs, and got knocked out 1st game last year. I will be interested to see how well the rest do in their playoff game.....being they are better coaches, and all.:thumbs_up:

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    maybe you need to reread. I said that parity was almost here and you said that it's here and the Steelers are the poster child.

6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Steelers have good draft picks coming up really need to hit on them and maybe we can be decent. Need to fire Canada though and that seems unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Look familiar?

8. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I honestly think you have me mixed up with another negative Nelly :lolol:

I never said anything about parity

9. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Ummmm that’s not me you catching up to JEH in centuries?

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Sorry, You are correct.
    Sorry, wrong Nelly!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You would be surprised How many times I've been blamed for things @SDOT has said. I'm being honest.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The Saints were 12-4 with Brees. 7-10 this season, no playoffs last two.

The Patriots were winning Super Bowls with Brady. Losing seasons two of last three years. No playoff wins.

The Ravens do pretty well with Lamar. Lost last 6 games bookended by the Steelers last year. Limped into the playoffs this year. We shall see. 1-4 with Lamar as a starter in the playoffs. To this point have won 1 playoff game in the last 8 seasons.

The Broncos have had 1 winning season (9-7) since Manning retired and no playoff births.

The Seahawks have won 2 playoff games in the last 8 seasons with a losing record last year.

The Packers, with an elite franchise quarterback have not made it to the Super Bowl in 12 seasons.

The Cowboys have not won a playoff game in 27 seasons.

The Giants have not won a playoff game in 11 seasons.

The 49ers have made it to the Super Bowl twice in the last 11 seasons, but have not won the super bowl in 28 years.

The Bengals, Bills, Vikings, Lions, Browns, Panthers, Jaguars, Chargers, Texans, and Cardinals have not won the Super Bowl.

Take away that last line, as we the teams above them are the historically (either last 15 years or last 50) elite teams in the NFL. None of them have a better resume than the Steelers for the time period mentioned.*

The OP Article says we have to re-define the "standard" because the 9-8 Steelers led by a Rookie QB didn't perform to his expectations. Spoiled I think. Yes, there are a few teams over the past few years. We shall see if the Chiefs add to their Ring total. Otherwise, there are no current dynasties.

*Yes, I know what the Pats did with Brady. But the time period I reported on was post Brady. The Steelers are now post-Ben, with a rookie QB.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very good , but the Cowboys have Won 2 playoff games in those years.....LoL. I live around a bunch of Cowboy fans, and they reminded Me of that when I said the same. :thumbs_up:

14. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    What's your explanation if they do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Well since you disagreed with 3 of his that makes you right? Hmmmm. I would also add the Giants and Lions HC’s are doing well considering the talent they have and how quickly they are turning a team around (which is how you evaluate good coaching).

16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    The point of the article is not to bash Tomlin, it's how most of the fans (and proven by this thread) are happy with the new "standard" for the steelers.

Every year, there's a lame ass excuse/reason for the new "standard" - Ben sucked, KP is a rookie, TJ got injured, AB is bizarro, etc. Who cares about excuses! Raise the standard to what it was before 2010!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Umm the remote possibility that the team they face plays better on that given day then the Steelers. This is the problem with this type of logical thinking it goes from step 1 to step 53 and doesn't worry about the steps in between because the conclusion happens as expected. So if they make the playoffs next season and win a game those supporting this belief will say yeah but that other team was the worst 12-3 team ever, and if they win the divisional round it will be because that team went all in to win its wildcard game and was too hurt to put up much of a fight. Then in the AFCCG if they lose because the other team played a better game, not because the Steelers played bad the supporters of this line of thought will pull a Randy Quaid and go see I told you the suck, the standard is substandard.

If by some miracle the do make a SB appearance then it will be oh only because Mahomes was knocked out in the first rd or the Ravens handled the Bills. Chase tore his ACL so no Bungles to beat.

We could go round and round with this. If you want me to take a dump in a box I'll do it, I've got plenty of time. But for your sake and your daughter's why not believe in your team.

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    But I get why the fans are happy with the new low "standard"... otherwise, all you homers would have to admit your team sucks.

For a homer, it's better to have low standards and hit them, than actually demand excellence and fail at it.

19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There it is, Ben bashing at its finest. Geezuz H. some of you are hopeless with how you cling to tomlins nut sack. Sad.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I root for the future regardless. Unless you are the part of the future that wants my gas appliances then F you! Go steelers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I was wrong you were right
    I am dumb you are extremely intelligent

22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    How do you know I have a daughter?

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Here’s the thing though.

Which fans are “celebrating” 9-8?

I can see many talking about things looking up, pleased with the season recovery, and acknowledging the difficulties the team has had (which is really just context for the record, as any team will have).

Absolutely nobody is overjoyed about missing the play offs. It’s possible to acknowledge things like non-losing seasons as a positive and still be disappointed in the results in the play offs.

Once that’s established, the whole article in the OP falls apart.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hmm, I think I know where I went wrong looking at the data. They still suck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Seemed like a logical question to me. You are asking what excuses will be made if Tomlin doesn't win another playoff game. I am asking how you will explain what happened if he does. I guess your answer says it all. Back to Jekyll and Hyde @DJ18Baller again.